Goat Simulator Review - Crapricorn

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Goat Simulator Review - Crapricorn

Terrible. Kind of genius as well. Mostly terrible. But so very brilliant. And terrible.

Read Full Article

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I wish they'd expanded on the Tony Hawk aspect of the game a bit more. Just because it's ridiculous doesn't mean it can't be a good game, but they really didn't give the game as much time as it needed.

PG

Apr 2, 2008
As far as lacking purpose or progression, you could say the same thing about every Street Fighter or Tekken game ever made. There's no progression or point beyond maybe unlocking other characters with different textures applied to their clothes and attack sprites, to do the same repetitive button mashing until one of you runs out of red bar.
You might unlock some supermove but once you've seen it you've seen it, the novelty is gone and can even get tiresome.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wanted to get it on sale anyway. good to see that even the developers recommend the same. kind of have respect for this remark.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
PG said:
As far as lacking purpose or progression, you could say the same thing about every Street Fighter or Tekken game ever made.
But fighting games do have infinite progression, only it's intrinsic progression. You can always get better at Street Fighter and beat better and better opponents online, etc.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Clowndoe said:
PG said:
As far as lacking purpose or progression, you could say the same thing about every Street Fighter or Tekken game ever made.
But fighting games do have infinite progression, only it's intrinsic progression. You can always get better at Street Fighter and beat better and better opponents online, etc.
Indeed, "progression" is not just a linear or singular thing. It takes many forms, be it exploration, self-improvement, or character development. I agree that fighting games in particular have a ton of progression that only ends when you get as good at the game as you can ever be. And that's not to mention the tons of possible human opponents you might find out there.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
The review feels like it is missing some context: The game was originally just a physics simulation the devs were experimenting with internally. They never intended it to be an actual paid product, and for that matter not even public at all. The only reason they released it at all was because of the internet reacting virally to a random YouTube video.

When the devs point out the dumb satire, they honestly don't know why people like it so much.

GumbaMasta

May 8, 2008
I don't really want to just post a image here but I think there arent any words I can come up that describe my thoughts more accurately than this obligatory Homestuck refference.
[http://s120.photobucket.com/user/Gumba_Masta/media/93db506f-f64d-48c0-ad53-3fad6814c96a_zpsbcfd0b3f.gif.html]

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
The game sounds like it's so baaaaaad it's good..... ok, I'll see myself out.

EDIT:

I ran into this and I just had to share it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
PG said:
As far as lacking purpose or progression, you could say the same thing about every Street Fighter or Tekken game ever made. There's no progression or point beyond maybe unlocking other characters with different textures applied to their clothes and attack sprites, to do the same repetitive button mashing until one of you runs out of red bar.
The difference is that those are multiplayer games. The point is in learning the mechanics of the game and the characters and pitting those skills against other players. Fighting games don't really need any form of actual "progression" because that's not what they're about. Meanwhile a singleplayer game kinda needs something. Even Minecraft, as directionless as it is, has progression in the form of giving yourself some project; whether it's building an awesome house, a nice yard, or just an organized mine that you can tunnel through.

That said though, I do agree with Jim on this one. It's hard to criticize OR to defend this game since it's very existence is a joke.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
How does it stack up versus Surgeon Simulator? That seemed like a potentially deeper game, but the sheer (deliberate) awkwardness of the controls stopped me wanting to go much past the first level. This looks like it might be more pointless, but potentially more fun?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I think this game should have been free, selling a product that you know is bad is wrong even if it?s a joke.

Despite that I do admit that I?m probably going to buy this game during a steam sale.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
themilo504 said:
I think this game should have been free, selling a product that you know is bad is wrong even if it?s a joke.

Despite that I do admit that I?m probably going to buy this game during a steam sale.
That's where you're wrong, you see.

This game is not bad. It's an appropriate amount of enjoyment for the price at which you get it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
PG said:
You might unlock some supermove but once you've seen it you've seen it, the novelty is gone and can even get tiresome.
Umm.. the point of a fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter is to play it against other players and progression often comes in a very concrete and visible form. Those games exist to test your skills and theirs, and to improve just as one would in, for example, a game of chess. Sure there's no real "goal" to getting better at single player Street Fighter, but in that sense there's also no real goal to getting better at single player chess either. Just because a game doesn't have an obvious end game as a purely single player experience doesn't mean it lacks in purpose and progression.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I liked a lot, actually, but I'm really hoping mod support gets added. What comes in the game on its own is only funny for like an hour, but I'm really interested to see what horrible things the fans can come up with...

Kahani

May 25, 2011
GameChanger said:
This game is not bad. It's an appropriate amount of enjoyment for the price at which you get it.
This really is the important point, and I think people often miss it and assume that all games should aspire to be the pinnacle of good design and programming. For £6 I can get less than two pints of beer, watch about an hour of film in a cinema, or drive around 50 miles. Is it really reasonable to expect that much more entertainment for your money from a computer game? Some games do manage much better, but they are generally the exceptions that are remembered and considered great precisely because most don't. For the most part, and especially when compared to things other than games, £6 for a couple of hours of fun is really entirely reasonable.