DICE Upgrading Servers to Address Battlefield 4 Rubber-Banding Issues

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
DICE Upgrading Servers to Address Battlefield 4 Rubber-Banding Issues

DICE "unhappy" with server performance, upgrading servers to address the "rubber-banding" issues on 64-player Conquest servers.

Are you one of the many players experiencing "rubber-banding" issues when playing Battlefield 4's 64-player Conquest mode? If so, you'll be glad to know that DICE has announced it will be upgrading its servers as soon as possible to address this game-breaking issue. Over on the Official Battlefield Blog [http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/04/addressing-battlefield-4-rubber-banding-issues/], DICE states, "We wanted to provide a quick update on the issues with Battlefield 4 "rubber-banding" some players on certain platforms experienced during matches with 64-players." It then adds, "Looking into this further, we're unhappy with our server performance, so we'll be upgrading the hardware as soon as possible, investing more to deliver a better experience." Unfortunately, it doesn't detail when exactly this new upgrade will roll out, with DICE saying they'll let players know the ETA as soon as they know the exact timetable. However, the studio does mention that "Reducing lag for these players is absolutely a TOP priority for us to solve and we expect to have the solution very soon."

For those not familiar with "rubber-banding" in first-person shooters, think of it as lag spikes where players are pulled back somehow every couple of steps by some magical unseen force. Needless to say, it literally will make hitting your targets in BF4 virtually impossible. Oddly enough, in my experience playing the PS4 version, the rubber-banding on 64-player Conquest mostly happens on Hainan Resort and Lancang Dam, and not the other maps. So go figure.

While I appreciate DICE finally working to address this issue that's been plaguing the game since its launch, some players might not be so gracious given that it's taken them five months -- and three multiplayer expansions -- from BF4's release to finally tackle it. Are you still playing BF4 or have you moved on to other multiplayer shooters? Will you go back to the battlefield once this is finally fixed or has it taken DICE too long to address it?

In other BF4 news, EA has gone on record to state that Battlefield 4's problematic launch didn't "damage the franchise." [Franchise] We'll know for sure if that's true once the next entry in the shooter series comes along and if people are still keen on plunking down money for it on launch day.

Source: Battlefield Blog [http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/04/addressing-battlefield-4-rubber-banding-issues/]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Is this another April's Fools joke EA?
Dammit ninja'd.

OT: For me the damage is done, I won't be getting another BF and honestly EA games in general have dropped to 'wait and see' if I get them at all. Bitten once, twice shy.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have moved on to titanfall. yesterday i thought i play some BF3 since i never had any issues with it but guess what, the bad netcoding even effected BF3 as well that it became unplayable. exactly the same issues as i have with BF4.
im done with this game and BF as such and even if they would fix it, im having far more fun whit titanfall then i had with BF.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
If they're fixing this issue on the BF4 servers, then please fix this issue on the Titanfall servers too. I've been getting a lot of lag in this game since release. The lag in the beta wasn't this bloody bad.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Luckily for me, Obliteration is still my favorite BF4 game mode, so I don't have to worry about rubber banding as much. That said, it's about damn time they fixed this.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Net code? the game literally plays at 15fps on the ps3, it's virtually unplayable. Remember people, never, NEVER buy an EA game, not even the ones from bioware.

This company NEEDS to die.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
I never once have had a glitch, lag, or bug in Battlefield 4,and I bought it on launch day. So all of these complaints and doom-saying articles about the 'failure' of EA have been nothing but hearsay to me. Do I mistrust the next release anyway, assuming that I won't get lucky again?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
LiMaSaRe said:
I never once have had a glitch, lag, or bug in Battlefield 4,and I bought it on launch day. So all of these complaints and doom-saying articles about the 'failure' of EA have been nothing but hearsay to me. Do I mistrust the next release anyway, assuming that I won't get lucky again?
Even if you haven't had any easily-seen problems, I guarantee that you're experiencing the same netcode issues as everybody else. Play a round of BF4, then switch to BF3, back to BF4, and then back to BF3. You will clearly notice that there is a difference and that BF3 feels as smooth as butter while BF4 is frustratingly terrible to play. I'm mistrusting DICE's next releases, especially if they're on Frostbite 3.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I was waiting for everything to be fixed before buying this, but it may have taken too long as I won't buy a game without a healthy multiplayer community.