Grand Theft Auto Online Promises Heist Missions This Spring

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto Online Promises Heist Missions This Spring

Grand Theft Auto Online is just about ready to pull off some heists.

Grand Theft Auto Online has been running since October of last year but the team-based Heist Missions have yet to be incorporated into the action. It's a conspicuous absence; after all, why have a multiplayer GTA if you can't pull off major multiplayer crimes?

Rockstar said in December [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130357-GTA-V-DLC-Coming-in-2014-Rockstar-Teases] of last year that Heists could go live early in 2014 and now it appears that those wheels are in fact turning, as the studio announced today that the feature will be added this spring. And while "this spring" isn't exactly a hard-and-fast date, at least it's something - and since spring is already, you know, here, it presumably means we should see some action on this front in the very near future.

The addition of Heists is the big news here but a couple of other noteworthy updates are on the way as well. Starting next week, the Creator community will be able to make their own original Capture Jobs, the best of which will be marked as "Rockstar Certified," while the High Life Update will add new high-end apartment options, a Bullpup Rifle, new wardrobe items, three additional cars and the Dinka Thrust motorcycle. The High Life Update will also add new Jobs, allow players to own two separate properties and incorporate the Mental State stat, "which is designed to let you see just how passive or psychotically unhinged fellow players in your session really are."

Source: Rockstar Games [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52217/Grand-Theft-Auto-Online-Spring-Updates]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I think it's far too late for this.

If they had launched with them it would have been epic and probably had a really active user base but I logged on a month or two ago and it was dead, not like "the odd player" kind, it was stone cold dead! I was the only fucker playing.

People have sold their copy or have just moved on to titan fall or something. GTAV's time has come and gone, even launching heists when the "beach bum" stuff was launched would have been late to the game but 6 months after GTAO launched? This wont induce a pulse in player numbers.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
MinionJoe said:
At least they're not calling it GTAV anymore. GTAV was, in all honesty, just a demo for GTAO.
Not sure what it was; a little long for a demo but yea, a little short for a GTA game. Still, gotta love Trevor.

I've really been enjoying the Job Creator tool in GTAO. Others have been making some crazy stuff. I myself have made a series of (well liked) Tom Waits themed jobs. I got a great one planned for the Capture update: the perfect setting.

I'm also looking forward to having another garage. I just finished filling mine so this is really good timing. I had a feeling they were going to make some optional decorations for the apt. There seemed to be a lot of empty spaces on shelves and walls.

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
I would care of GTAO was playable. I can't walk half a foot without being obliterated by 5 tanks.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
omega 616 said:

If they had launched with them it would have been epic and probably had a really active user base but I logged on a month or two ago and it was dead, not like "the odd player" kind, it was stone cold dead! I was the only fucker playing.

People have sold their copy or have just moved on to titan fall or something. GTAV's time has come and gone, even launching heists when the "beach bum" stuff was launched would have been late to the game but 6 months after GTAO launched? This wont induce a pulse in player numbers.
Really? You sure your online settings are kosher? I occasionally jump into a dead lobby but usually there's anywhere from 6-16 running around when I jump in. I even hosted a job the other night and it filled up to 16 pretty quickly.
I think the gradual roll out of updates has had the opposite effect: where people would've traded it in months ago, they want to hold onto it to see what the next update will have. It's all free (so far) so there's why not. I myself was pulled away from the game for a little while, then got all wrapped up in it again when the Valentines Day update launched.
What I do think hurt GTAO however was the disastrous launch: pretty much the worst things that could happen to the player were happening and I'm sure a lot of people gave up right then and who could blame them. The only ps3 title that might've been more buggy at launch was Fallout New Vegas.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
MinionJoe said:
They way I see it, Rockstar used GTAV only as a means of pimping out GTAO. Otherwise, the single-player GTAV would have had just as many updates and DLC packs as the online component.

But other than a few bug fixes, there's been nothing for GTAV. Their entire focus has been on GTAO. Which makes sense. There are no microtransactions in the single-player game.
Actually, all the stuff that they added to the Online marketplace has been added to the sp game too. If you go into gtav, you can have Trevor get all the new weapons and vehicles. Also, a part of this announcement was that they are coming out with gtav specific DLC which I imagine will be like the gta4 mission packs. I hoping it's a little more than what we got with gta4. It would be cool to have a new island...maybe one with Las Venturas.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
While it could be interesting, I really stopped caring for GTA online awhile back. The missions were kind of repetitive and short lived, and once you had gotten the best house there wasn't much else to go for. I got some cool cars, though there were more I wanted but had no room for, so I guess that is interesting, but besides pvp and missions, all there was to do was rob shops or hunt bounties for money, and most bounties hid within their houses or left servers once they got a price on their heads.
Also, I remember them at one point saying early January for Heists so I wouldn't get what little hopes I would of had up for this.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
ihavetwo said:
I would care of GTAO was playable. I can't walk half a foot without being obliterated by 5 tanks.
Yeah, I realized real real quick that GTA:O was definitely better when played with people I already know.
Like MOBAs, the more randoms in the game, the worse it is.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MinionJoe said:
At least they're not calling it GTAV anymore. GTAV was, in all honesty, just a demo for GTAO.
Wow, man, really?

Just the single player alone had more content then most games, I dont really know what sending of the gods game you were expecting out of GTA.

Mar 30, 2010
omega 616 said:

I've got to disagree. Point number one is that there are still plenty of people playing GTA:O. I play on an almost daily basis and have yet to encounter a lobby with less than six players, and the vast majority are maxed out. Point number two - which grows from point number one - is that I think they did right by delaying the Heist missions. Had Rockstar enabled Heists from the start, thus allowing new players to instantly earn millions and buy everything on their wish list immediately, then players would as you have said gotten bored quickly and moved on. By delaying the launch of this and other features they have kept the player-base engaged.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
"Fucking finally" is all I really have to say on this matter. Maybe I'll actually be bothered to back.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so they are finally making the game ready for the launch. whats that, it launched in 2013? Ah, right, its normal now to launch unfinished games, silyl me, expecting a full game at launch.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Can't see myself bothering if i don't dc almost immediately then no one joins any of the activity's i try starting.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
MinionJoe said:
GonzoGamer said:
Actually, all the stuff that they added to the Online marketplace has been added to the sp game too. If you go into gtav, you can have Trevor get all the new weapons and vehicles.
Not that I've seen. And I checked last week to see if Update 1.11 added anything to SP. I saw no new cars, no new weapons, and each character still had only one 4-car garage available.
Assuming you go to the marketplace and download the free content (beach bum pack, valentines day pack, business pack. You do have to manually download these free content updates, they're big enough they'd violate the title update size restrictions.) then you will find the new weapons on the right hand wall, where social club/collectors edition weapons go. The new cars will be in your 4 car garage, but through the interface. (The 4 car garages actually have an interface wherein you open a menu in the garage, and select the car from the list and it will spawn you out of the garage in that car. This stores all of your special vehicles, including anything earned through social club or the new content updates. I think it can store purchased vehicles this way, but I've not tested it extensively, just one sanchez.) The planes/boats in the content are accessible at the purchasable hanger/dock.

You're welcome.