Note To Future Politicians: Being A Geek Can Only Hurt You If You Let It

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Note To Future Politicians: Being A Geek Can Only Hurt You If You Let It

This isn't the first time in recent memory someone's gaming habit has been used against them. In 2012, Maine Republicans attempted to derail the State Senate campaign of Democrat Colleen Lachowicz by turning attention to her World of Warcraft hobby. That effort failed, and Lachowicz won her election [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120540-World-of-Warcraft-Candidate-Wins-Election]. Of course, Central Florida is a far different place from Maine. The region is far more conservative, and Yoho, a Tea Party Republican who himself unseated an incumbent in 2012, is now talked about as a potential Gubernatorial candidate. He's also secured the endorsement of Rand Paul and appears to be popular with constituents. Rush may yet lose his bid to unseat the man. But even if he fails, Rush's refusal to act as though there's anything wrong with Cosplay and LARPing is heartening.

If nothing else, it's evidence that much like with serious social issues such as gay rights and sexual freedom, the world is changing far faster than the get-off-my-lawn crowd can process. After rock and roll, comic books, rap music and That New Sex The Teens Are Having were all exhausted as reliable sources of unhinged moral outrage, gaming reliably filled the void for almost two decades. But now it looks official: gaming is a mainstream pastime to the point that even conservative Republicans are willing to proudly declare their enjoyment of it.

This is a nice change from the usual conversation, which assumes that putting on full body paint before getting rip-roaring drunk at a sporting event is an appropriate activity for fully-grown adults, but expressing creativity by making elaborate costumes and role-playing is just strange and creepy. It's also an important lesson for people with political aspirations: The day will soon come when the people trying to make hay out of your pastimes will look weirder than they're hoping you do. So go crazy.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Thankfully the kind if people who really care I would hope are. the kind if people who hate gender equality abs gays

Increasingly irrelevant

Insanity_Incarnate

Feb 9, 2014
Meanwhile, I am keenly aware of the irony in defending the hobbies and privacy of a man whose chosen political party is devoted to the precise opposite behavior. Fortunately, I'm sure this ridiculous episode will encourage him extend the same courtesy to other peoahahahahahahah. Just kidding.
Ok seriously this is pathetic, its fine that you strongly disagree with Republican policies but a news article, even a fluff piece like this one, is not the place to make those types of statements. Keep it professional and save it for an editorial or blog.

OT: Damn straight there is nothing wrong with being a gamer, glad to see this kind of opinion spreading.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
I suggest you keep your political opinions out of news posts. they are news posts not editorials.
I think this isn't actually a straight news piece, but that last paragraph was poorly done nonetheless. I am amused by the phrase "Teabagger Republican", though, whether or not it was intentional.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
King Whurdler said:
Eric the Orange said:
I suggest you keep your political opinions out of news posts. they are news posts not editorials.
The only real political stance Ross seems to be taking is that the so called 'get off my lawn' crowd are a bunch of uptight fools. What's wrong with that?
He either implied or believed that every republican/conservative is that kind of fool, which is silly and as stupid as the attitude he lampoons.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I think we're losing sight of the big picture. It doesn't matter whether they were Republican or Democrat, it's an outrage either way. Actually, it goes more like this; video games, LARPing, etc aren't necessarily under attack rather than just catching all of the flak from politicians trying to discredit one another via half-assed mudslinging.

Side note: Come on guys, lets be honest. Republican, Democrat, at the end of the day, their both just total assholes who wink at each-other when we're not looking.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wow. I gotta be honest. Rush seems to have way more class than the one "reporting" this.

You do realize that just because someone is a member of a political party different than you, doesn't mean they hate all the things you think they do, right? Or how ignorant and hypocritical that is? You behave like you claim they do.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
RossaLincoln said:
Wow... Biased much?

Guess dem Democraps better stop giving all my moneyz to dem illegals and druggies. The world is moving faster than the oh-I-broke-a-nail crowd can handle. Can I haz newz roomz contributor now?

OT- It's cool that politicians are willing to stand up for their legal hobbies. I don't care if the ones doing the attacking are Republican or Democrat, they deserve to lose any race bullshit tactics like this are employed.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
RossaLincoln said:
Meanwhile, I am keenly aware of the irony in defending the hobbies and privacy of a man whose chosen political party is devoted to the precise opposite behavior.
Please stay objective in your articles Escapist. Not everyone is as easily manipulated or distracted by partisan politics, especially when both parties are guilty of acting like idiots.

Good for Jake Rush. I'm sure in another generation it's not going to even be worth bringing up that a political candidate games and LARPs or whatever. But for now, it's politics as usual.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I'm a libertarian, or as many patrons of this site would say conservative. I love games and the content that this site puts out is very entertaining and the forums are full of interesting people. The only problem is, the overall liberalism of this site is working it's way into the published content. I come here to enjoy media and discuss games with people of the same interest, not read journalist' political bias.

cokeordie

May 20, 2009
Wow. Way to stay classy escapist.

I used to only come here for a couple videos, but then I found the articles written here to be thoughtful and fairly professional.

NOPE! Not anymore! Going back to just watching the funny videos, thank you very much.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
First, You are silly to post this!
Second the 'editorial' bit is clearly offended that the hobby he most identifies himself with and its various crossovers of the fanbase is being treated like they're a bunch of, punch drinking, satan worshiping, blood sacrificing cultists with ill intentions. And since you are on this site and bothered to make an account for yourself I would imagine you at least understand where he might be coming from.
Third, this isn't the new york times nor even IGN where the idea of having opinion on gaming is not limited to just 'CoD, best game ever?'.
FOURTH the idea of actual important life changing news as unbias is a myth and can't be done unless you get it from a primary source. Like say watching Cspan where the unblinking and unthinking camera has no opinion and you are not asking it to witness and digest it then compare it to its own knowledge to give you the facts that are the most important in a given event which thus makes that an opinion no matter what.
Fifth! and final. You know that this is an absurd case and thus there really is no relevant 'well what does the otherside think so that viewers can have the most important information made available.' So why bother demanding one here?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Scorpid said:
Eric the Orange said:
The fuck are you talking about? FIRST off, stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid YOU ARE SO STUPID!
Second the 'editorial' bit is clearly offended that the hobby he most identifies himself with and its various crossovers of the fanbase is being treated like they're a bunch of, punch drinking, satan worshiping, blood sacrificing cultists with ill intentions. And since you are on this site and bothered to make an account for yourself I would imagine you at least understand where he might be coming from.
Third, this isn't the new york times nor even IGN where the idea of having opinion on gaming is not limited to just 'CoD, best game ever?'.
FOURTH the idea of actual important life changing news as unbias is a myth and can't be done unless you get it from a primary source. Like say watching Cspan where the unblinking and unthinking camera has no opinion and you are not asking it to witness and digest it then compare it to its own knowledge to give you the facts that are the most important in a given event which thus makes that an opinion no matter what.
Fifth! and final. You know that this is an absurd case and thus there really is no relevant 'well what does the otherside think so that viewers can have the most important information made available.' So why bother demanding one here?
Wow. And I thought I was pissed off. I won't even mention the grammatical issues, but I just wonder if flagrantly insulting (even if in a childish way) another average forum goer is grounds for a warning?

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
LysanderNemoinis said:
In an event that surprised me about as much as the sun coming up in the morning, I got a warning for my post. Damn, I'm just racking these little babies up, aren't I?
You advocated Ad-blocking. That's what got you a warning. Kinda stupid to post that by the way

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
forgo911 said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
In an event that surprised me about as much as the sun coming up in the morning, I got a warning for my post. Damn, I'm just racking these little babies up, aren't I?
You advocated Ad-blocking. That's what got you a warning. Kinda stupid to post that by the way
Ah. Forgot about that. However I don't think I advocated it so much as saying that the politics of The Escapist (though it was Yahtzee's PC back peddling on one of his videos that started the ball rolling) is the reason why I'm doing it. Well, live and learn. Apologies to The Escapist for accusing them of censoring me for my speech...this time.
My views on other topics (which will go unmentioned due to not wanting to make this a debate on something else entirely) did get me a fair share of warnings in the past.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
You know what the best thing about this ridiculous story is...? The Comments >.< I understand that a conservative reader is likely to feel a bit battered by the article, but perhaps you shouldn't be acquiring your serious-beeswax news through a DECIDEDLY LEFT WING VIDEO GAMING WEBSITE!!! It's hardly like The Escapist is in the deep politics beeswax; if a story intrigues you which falls out of the bounds of gaming and general geek culture, then your best bet is to follow links elsewhere to further study it!

OT: Hahahaha, America... I'd crack a joke about you, were the rest of the world not just as bad >.< RUUUUULE BRITANNIA! BRITANNIA is owned by the tory party.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Scorpid said:
Eric the Orange said:
First, You are silly to post this!
Calm down kid and let me explain.

I understand the thrust of the article and that supports my point all the more. The reason for the post is that role playing is being less demonized than it was before. There is no reason for him to put his political opinions about how he dislikes republicans. It's not part of the discussion, it's irrelevant to the discussion and thus unnecessary. Look at the comments, more posts are about his political leanings than the actual topic of the post, and thus making the post less effective.

And I know that it is impossible to be completely unbiased, but you can be less biased. There was no reason to say things like "(if not for the voters of Gainesville, who are essentially arguing about which Republican to send to Washington to ruin the country)".