The Escapist Roundtable #2: Zebra Killin' and Penicillin

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
The Escapist Roundtable #2: Zebra Killin' and Penicillin

This week the roundtable participants look at zebra carcasses, chibi doctors, human cadavers and anything else included in a good TV show to videogame adaptation.

Feb 13, 2008
@Jason Smith. You're a sick man, I like you.

But just imagine if Tim Schafer/Lucasarts did a House game in the style of Monkey Island/Grim Fandango. That would be Portal-breaking.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
How about the inevitable Heroes game? It'll involve time-travel. A LOT of time travel. Minigames will include arranging trivia, timelines and flowcharts to explain what just happened to your mother. This is also the co-op mode. Other minigames will include straightening Milo Ventimiglia's mouth.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Speaking of Fox properties. Reno911 the game. Fox news may be the harbinger of the apocalypse but darn it they have some good shows too.

Feb 13, 2008
unangbangkay said:
How about the inevitable Heroes game? It'll involve time-travel. A LOT of time travel. Minigames will include arranging trivia, timelines and flowcharts to explain what just happened to your mother. This is also the co-op mode. Other minigames will include straightening Milo Ventimiglia's mouth.
Well, Ubisoft won't be doing it [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ubisoft-not-doing-heroes-game] after what Susan and others thought of Lost.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Nice ideas. But I would concentrate the Bear Grylls game on using your brain to get from one point to another alive.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
I actually really liked the Fox News Idea. It's a game I would actually play. Especially if given choices on how to run the network? Do I want to spend time on entertainment news? Is Bill O'Reily worth all the money he's asking for? It'd be like a sports management sim for the news world.

Honestly if I were a producer, this would be easy to decide what properties to base a game on. The highest rated ones. As long as it's a highly polished clone of a better game, it won't draw the wrath of reviewers and satisfy fans of the property. It's a surefire way to make money. Too bad most games of this style are not well polished and fun to play.

Two and Half Men could be a fun Monkey Island Clone or a The Sims Clone.
The Office could work as Roller Coaster Tycoon Clone. "Micheal Scott get his dream job: running an amusement park!"
Heroes could be a Devil May Cry Clone.
24 could be a Gears of War or Half Life Clone.

Wow being a producer is easy.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
MegMurph said:
Ack! I thought I was the only one...it truly irks me.
To be fair, I only bring it up to make fun of him, but it truly irks my sister. We were viewing one of the episodes in which he has no shirt, and she spoke to the screen, saying "That's it, just run..keep it closed...no need to talk..."

I'm not joking.

moromete

Aug 16, 2007
The Fox News idea is great. I can't believe that there's no TV Station Manager sim out yet. Developers, go! I'll even take something small and Flash based...

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
The Fox News idea sounds brilliant. But really my first priority for the tv to game conversion is prison break. Just a sand-box modern day super-prison (or maybe multiple), probably an RPG game without the leveling. And unlike every other sandbox game, there would be an actual reason for the border restrictions. No more piles of rubble or endless oceans for me.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
SportCenter the game could use the news room simulation idea, but it could also turn the top 10 plays into mini sports games similar to Madden Moments from Madden '09.

So while you would have to balance each commentator's salary versus their popularity, you'd also have to succeed at ten highlights from a number of different sports. You'd get multiple attempts at each highlight, the fewer attempts it takes the higher your ratings.