The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon Chooses Between PS4 vs. Xbox One

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon Chooses Between PS4 vs. Xbox One

Last night's The Big Bang Theory has Sheldon making the ultimate decision: PS4 or Xbox One?

Choosing a "side" when it comes to gaming is nothing new. It happened way back when it was the SEGA Master System vs. Nintendo's NES, and it's still continuing with the PlayStation 4 vs. the Xbox One -- though, most arguments these days consist of comparing hardware sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132275-MGSV-Ground-Zeroes-to-Run-at-1080p-on-PS4-Only-720p-on-Xbox-One]. In tonight's episode of The Big Bang Theory titled "The Indecision Amalgamation," lovable nerd Sheldon must make the ultimate choice: whether to buy an Xbox One or PS4. If you're wondering why Sheldon just doesn't buy both, it's a simple case of Sheldon being Sheldon, and not having enough space to buy both. I won't spoil how it ends, but let's just say the show played it rather safe.

This choosing sides thing hasn't escaped the console-makers themselves. The official Xbox Twitter even went on as far as tweeting [https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/451879324422242304] The Big Bang Theory's Twitter, "You know what to do, Sheldon," with an image of the Xbox One with Sheldon's name as part of the message.

Odds are, this won't be the last time we'll see a major TV show feature the PS4 or the Xbox One, since gaming is a pretty big part of people's lives these days. Have you watched the episode? Which console should Sheldon have chosen? And come to think of it, with Sheldon's various eccentricities, which console would suit him best?

For the latest in console news, Sony has bringing universal Windows apps to the Xbox One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133428-PS4-Survey-Hints-at-Reputation-System-PSN-Username-Change-More].

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795995]

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel for news stories, aren't we?

Anyway, i saw the episode. Never has the complaint that The Big Bang Theory is all about mocking nerds been so true. I usually brush it off as the usual sitcom stuff just with a different cast, but this time it was a bit much.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
AntiChri5 said:

Anyway, i saw the episode. Never has the complaint that The Big Bang Theory is all about mocking nerds been so true. I usually brush it off as the usual sitcom stuff just with a different cast, but this time it was a bit much.
...when has a sitcom not been about mocking the people they are portraying? I always figured that was the point. To laugh at yourself.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AnthrSolidSnake said:
AntiChri5 said:

...when has a sitcom not been about mocking the people they are portraying? I always figured that was the point. To laugh at yourself.
It is. But in BBT case the jokes are more stereotypical and mean spirited. From what I've seen from passing glances the good jokes are actually the non nerd ones. Not the ones where the punchline is "hurr durr nerds getting laid, that never happens in real life" or "women in comic book stores? that's never happened in real life".

Plus it has that Jersey Shore effect where the general public thinks that all nerds are like the ones in BBT. Kinda like how people for awhile thought that all people from NJ are like the idiots on Jersey Shore.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
RaikuFA said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
It is. But in BBT case the jokes are more stereotypical and mean spirited. From what I've seen from passing glances the good jokes are actually the non nerd ones. Not the ones where the punchline is "hurr durr nerds getting laid, that never happens in real life" or "women in comic book stores? that's never happened in real life".

Plus it has that Jersey Shore effect where the general public thinks that all nerds are like the ones in BBT. Kinda like how people for awhile thought that all people from NJ are like the idiots on Jersey Shore.
Maybe I'm just not cynical enough. I guess I can see what you mean. I've just never had a problem with the show. It makes me laugh, and my mother seems to like it. We pretty much watch it whenever there's not much else on.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
AnthrSolidSnake said:
RaikuFA said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:

Maybe I'm just not cynical enough. I guess I can see what you mean. I've just never had a problem with the show. It makes me laugh, and my mother seems to like it. We pretty much watch it whenever there's not much else on.
Im usually fine with it. I have found most of the material a kind of fond ribbing, the same way people make fun of their friends.

When i saw Sheldon in this ep, i was reminded about the complaints and found myself agreeing with them for once.

They didn't cross some big line or anything, i just thought it was a bit much. Other then that i like the show fine.

As you said, all sitcoms routinely mock their cast.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
So yeah, I don't watch the BBT.

But the article got me curious about which one he chose?

From the sounds of it, he either didn't chose one, or they didn't tell you (Cause the OP said they played it safe).

I think that is a cop out big time. I mean, if the whole episode is about him choosing...he should either chose one, or get both and find extra space.

Then again, aren't they in a small appartment...do they even have room for the xbox one scanner thing? I never got one for my xbox 360...and am not planning on getting an xbox one either, mainly because I don't have anywhere with the space to use the camera thing. My living room is not for gaming...it's a family room with couches etc...nowhere to play,, and my gaming room is small...no way I could use a xbox one in there.

So I'd say thats a good reason to go with ps4 (I have not gotten either personally...and don't plan on it till there are at least 3 games I can't wait to play for the ps4).

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Like a true gamer he quickly realizes that spending 500$ on inferior PC's is stupid when for just 300$ more he can have a high-medium end PC to play more games on and emulate more games on than he ever could on a console...

Also PC is great for playing solo, which I think Sheldon would enjoy most of all. Lonely! I am so lonely! Being part of the Master Race is Lonely.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AnthrSolidSnake said:
RaikuFA said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:

Like I said it makes me laugh but not all the time. I'd rather watch Community, pretty much the same appeal but it's humor isn't just the stuff I mentioned.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
1337mokro said:
Like a true gamer he quickly realizes that spending 500$ on inferior PC's is stupid when for just 300$ more he can have a high-medium end PC to play more games on and emulate more games on than he ever could on a console...

Also PC is great for playing solo, which I think Sheldon would enjoy most of all. Lonely! I am so lonely! Being part of the Master Race is Lonely.
So he ends up getting a PC instead (Well I think he already had one actually...I mean he had a freaking robot self for awhile there I think (don't watch the show but it's on right before a show I do/did watch so I see parts of it).

Btw, I put together a better PC for less then the cost of the xbox one.....with used parts, but still, I've had it almost a year now with no problems. Another reason I'm not really rushing to get an xbox one.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
wulfy42 said:
1337mokro said:

So he ends up getting a PC instead (Well I think he already had one actually...I mean he had a freaking robot self for awhile there I think (don't watch the show but it's on right before a show I do/did watch so I see parts of it).

Btw, I put together a better PC for less then the cost of the xbox one.....with used parts, but still, I've had it almost a year now with no problems. Another reason I'm not really rushing to get an xbox one.
Doesn't he have a pc? An Alienware if I remember correctly, like his laptop.... now't like a bit of product placement!

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Well, I had a gaming PC back when the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii where the newest systems, and I had all 3 of those as well. There where good exclusives for all 3 systems (The fewest...for me...on the xbox360..but it was worth buying just for Too human for me to be honest).

Right NOW though...I don't see the point of getting any of the next gen systems, but...Sheldon might be into FPS games or something...then it might make sense (Still, most of the FPS games are playable on the PC I think).

I'll get a ps4 when Kingdom Hearts 2 comes out probably, and hopefully there will be a few other games I'll want for the system by then as well.

I find it weird that when I finally have enough money that the cost of game systems are not a big deal to me, I for the first time in my life, have not bought any of them. I bought them all in the past, even lesser known ones like the jaguar etc. It's been over a year and I have not bought a WII U (and have no plans to buy one soon), and for now at least, I have no intention of ever buying an Xbox one. I may even rethink the whole ps4 thing and just stick with my pc at this point since I have such a huge backlog of pc games already (not to mention tons of games left still for the ps3 I have not touched).

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
RaikuFA said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
AntiChri5 said:

It is. But in BBT case the jokes are more stereotypical and mean spirited.
They really aren't that mean spirited, it's just nerds and geeks have rarely been the subject matter except when it goes full on glasses suspenders, bad parody for the sake of a one off joke I've had way worse than this shit just being the gender I am (Boy aren't ladies just the bane of all existence, am I right, friggin nags). And BBT is perfectly fine, it's scathing but they do love their own subject matter.

Surely Sheldon just decided to be a PC elitist. I haven't seen it but... yeah okay confirmation further up there. Of course he does.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Sheldon probably got fed up with the PC gaming and wanted to play something that will actually provides some mental dexterity along with some decent exclusives instead of dealing with cheaters, aim bots, save scumming, point & die button, ~TGM breaking the game... getting robbed in World Of Warcraft and asking Penny to beat up another overwheight neck beard, and steam's green light.
Weirdly enough i just spent 4 hours on the Xboxlive Indie marketplace... so... this is future... and steam is somehow worse... cheezus criest.

Its also one of these episodes that does remind me of that line from Dragonball by Master Roshi when talking about Bulma:"There is a fine line between genius & idiocy": His girlfriend offered to buy him both AND a pay for a new furniture to put it on... YUU-IJIT

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
wulfy42 said:
1337mokro said:

No, he doesn't. He already has a PC. He ends up curled up on the floor of the store clutching an Xbone and PS4 and weeping about the fact that he can't choose between them until the store closes.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Charli said:
RaikuFA said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
AntiChri5 said:

It is. But in BBT case the jokes are more stereotypical and mean spirited.
They really aren't that mean spirited, it's just nerds and geeks have rarely been the subject matter except when it goes full on glasses suspenders, bad parody for the sake of a one off joke I've had way worse than this shit just being the gender I am (Boy aren't ladies just the bane of all existence, am I right, friggin nags). And BBT is perfectly fine, it's scathing but they do love their own subject matter.

Surely Sheldon just decided to be a PC elitist. I haven't seen it but... yeah okay confirmation further up there. Of course he does.
He doesn't, actually.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
wulfy42 said:
1337mokro said:

he does. Its been made of point that Sheldon owns a gaming PC and gaming laptop. All of them seemingly from big brands. I think he even owns 2 alienwares and one from nvidia.

Yet now he wants a watered down console on top of all of it.

Its like spending money on two ferarris and then going back to the dealership to try to decide which one of the two different colored priuses he wants more.

It makes no sense. Then again, this console gen is so desperate they aren't above this kind of marketing. Neither is the BBT because they advertised like this before.
What else is he going to spend his money on?

He has a fairly well paying job and not much costs. He doesn't drink or smoke, has a very small social circle which doesn't get out much, has a roommate to keep the rent down. They seem to order take out almost every night and spend lots of money on expensive nerd toys, but those are Sheldon's only real vices.

I seem to remember one episode where it was revealed he stuffs most of his paychecks or money or whatever in a drawer and forgets about it. Money isn't really a thing to him.