Glu to Turn Off GameSpy Multiplayer Servers Next Month - Update

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Glu to Turn Off GameSpy Multiplayer Servers Next Month - Update

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kinda sad to see this go. Whenever I hear about Gamespy I get all nostalgic about all the fun I had playing the first AvP game online back in 1999. God, I had a lot of fun with that game, and it was mostly due Gamespy for offering the multiplayer servers.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Why GLU Mobile ever brought Gamespy is beyond me.
They didn't do anything with them, only shut down their stuff.

I hope Halo on PC will find a new home.
No doubt Steam considering what Microsoft has been doing with the Age of Empires series recently.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
RIP gamespy.
The very first forum I was a member of was the Gamespy Forum.
Also was one of the first clans I was ever part of GSF/OTC.
If anyone was a part of it, I was known as "Bang" back then.

Sad to see them go.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Gamespy...there's a name that makes me feel old.
I remember when they started as QuakeSpy...good times.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I still remember Gamespy's articles on the top 25 smartest moments in gaming...and top 25 dumbest moments.

It's still fun to look at, even if the list is over a decade old.

The lists aren't available anymore because the site is down, but you should still be able to find them using WebArchive.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Gamespy... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time. I remember that being bundled with nearly every game I played in the late 90s- early 2000s. I just recently reinstalled No One Lives Forever 2 and there it was.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Borderlands 1 used this thing, didn't it? Any word on what Gearbox is doing? Is that game still going to have multiplayer on PC? Or did it get shut down in the first round and I just didn't realize?

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I bet Steamworks will see a lot of more adoption any time now. It's becoming scary how so many of the alternatives to Steam are getting shut down.

Apr 28, 2008
This also includes Halo 1. Which when I last played still had a small but decent sized player count. Such a shame. No way in hell Microsoft will update it to work without it. Would be nice if they released it on Steam or something but they just don't seem to give a damn.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
uncanny474 said:
Borderlands 1 used this thing, didn't it? Any word on what Gearbox is doing? Is that game still going to have multiplayer on PC? Or did it get shut down in the first round and I just didn't realize?
I'm wondering the same. I know it worked only a matter of a month or so ago when I last played it. I thought that it was already working in spite of the servers shut down, so I'm kinda surprised that there are still servers up and running. I have no idea if Gearbox patched around them yet or not.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
uncanny474 said:
LAN stays atleast. With the miriad of vLAN programs it still survives the awesome digital future.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Kuredan said:
Gamespy... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time. I remember that being bundled with nearly every game I played in the late 90s- early 2000s. I just recently reinstalled No One Lives Forever 2 and there it was.

I think my uncle knows of that service. He said it was dead.

Then again, I have not heard the name of GameSpy since... oh, before most gamers these days were born.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Yozozo said:
Kuredan said:

I think my uncle knows of that service. He said it was dead.

Then again, I have not heard the name of GameSpy since... oh, before most gamers these days were born.

Oh,it's not dead, not...not yet.
(at least until 31 May)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well... this makes me sad. First the browser of Neverwinter Nights and now... pretty much everything else gets the axe. It was a fun ride while it lasted (although I certainly won't miss that crappy login for some games, like BF2), and speaking of wich, at least Epic's finding a solution (for UT3, wich used GameSpy's login system), but what about Borderlands 1?.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
How does this affect Star Wars: Battlefront 2, I wonder? While it does indeed say "Powered by GameSpy" in the bottom left corner when one tries to play MP, actually logging in to GS is entirely optional and it seems like people create their own servers. This PC noob just can't tell...

If it does shut down SW:BF2 though, hopefully fans can create a workaround, because we all know Disney won't.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Aw man - does this mean no more Dawn of War (1)? Anyone know if THQ's server code was ever released?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Ha! Joke's on you Glu, the BFME servers have been down for 3 years!

Oh... Now I remember why I'm sad, and why I have a dislike for EA

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
GameSpy is also used for Saint's Row 2's multiplayer, which is a hoot when it works. I always thought that kinda dumb as it also requires Steam and Steamworks has always supported multiplayer. At least SR 3 and 4 use Steam's multiplayer.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Ha! Joke's on you Glu, the BFME servers have been down for 3 years!

Oh... Now I remember why I'm sad, and why I have a dislike for EA
To be fair EA couldn't keep running Lord of the Rings games, even if they wanted.
They lost the license to Warner Brothers, EA couldn't do anything with LotR anymore.