Sword of the Samurai- An Honorable Effort

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sword of the Samurai- An Honorable Effort

Originally released in 1989, Sword of the Samurai transforms the player into an ambitious samurai trying to rise up, gain power and conquer Japan. Set during the tumultuous Sengoku era, it combines elements of strategy, simulation and role-playing to fashion a robust experience.

Read Full Article

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I remember coming across this on TVTropes 2 years ago and wanting to play it, really badly. It sounded like the kind of super-open roleplaying experience I always wanted and I was on a bit of a samurai kick at the time because I'd just seen Seven Samurai for the first time. I wasn't quite savvy enough to get it running in DOSBox at the time and now I can finally just buy a working copy! Happy days.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, this certainly sounds like something that deserves to get a remake. Polish the gameplay, give it a better interface, and it'd make a killing on Steam.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
erttheking said:
Well, this certainly sounds like something that deserves to get a remake. Polish the gameplay, give it a better interface, and it'd make a killing on Steam.
I was thinking this exact thing while reading the article. I would throw money at a modernized version of this so quickly that even the Flash would call it swift.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
cnaltman62 said:
erttheking said:
I was thinking this exact thing while reading the article. I would throw money at a modernized version of this so quickly that even the Flash would call it swift.
Yeah, if it weren't for some of the technical flaws, this would probably be a near perfect game. A remake, or even just a modified version of the original (I love the pixel art and would hate to see it go) would be a must-buy for me.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
For a game made before I was born that's really impressive and when I saw that you're gonna review Master of Orion 2 I got really excited. I play it almost every day and would love to talk about it.

I might actually have to check this game out, been enjoying a lot of retro things lately.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
This game looks great, I just wish it was on Steam.

I have a few games on GoG, but these days most of my stuff's in the steam library, and I wish I could keep it all there.

Adding non-steam game's just not the same.

Thomas Shearlaw

May 9, 2010
A remake would be awesome, the stealth sections could be like Tenchu Z with a mix of Shogun 2, but I also like how your able to just wander around as a lone samurai if you want. I would be tempted to make it almost an rpg like Bladestorm.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I played the hell out of this game when I was a teenager. The fact that it's on GoG makes me rather happy. I'm sure it's no where near as good as my nostalgia thinks it is but I'll have to give it another go. This and Centurion: Defender of Rome ate up lots of my free time. Crap.....now I have to see if Centurion is on GoG.