Titanfall Xbox 360 Runs Above 30fps - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Titanfall Xbox 360 Runs Above 30fps - Update

Bluepoint Games has given an update on the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall, stating it will run "above 30fps," and that it is the "true experience."

Update: For those curious, you can now see how the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall will look and play courtesy of EliteXbox360Gaming.

Thoughts on how the game looks, everyone?

Source: Kotaku [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_b4KhSPhz8xDhLGCfvZX_A]

Original Story:

While Xbox One and PC gamers might already be enjoying Respawn Entertainment's debut shooter Titanfall, the same can't be said for Xbox 360 users. If you didn't know, the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall is not being handled by Respawn themselves, but by Bluepoint Games (God of War Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection). Over on the official Titanfall site, senior producer Daryl Allison has given a status update on the futuristic shooter and has confirmed a few bits of info. Namely, that the port will run at above 30fps (frames-per-second), and that it will include everything offered in the Xbox One and PC versions.

Titanfall on the Xbox 360 is the true experience: all the maps, modes, pilots, titans, weapons, burn cards, you name it, found in the Xbox One and PC versions. The game looks great, sounds great, and above all it plays great. There are of course some differences that are due to the technical limitations of the hardware - for example, the game runs above 30fps - but the experts at Respawn worked with us to ensure that all the intense, 6v6 wall-running, titan-dropping action is there.

Truth be told, it would have been foolish to expect that the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall would be able to run even remotely close to its next-gen and PC cousins. But hopefully, the core gameplay remains fun since that should be the most important thing.

While the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall won't be out until Aprili 8, you can check The Escapist's review of the mech-shooter where it scores an impressive four out of five stars, and is labeled "a solid shooter with a laudable amount of unique extras draped over a durable and familiar framework." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/11098-Titanfall-Review-Mechs-and-the-City]

Source: Titanfall [http://www.titanfall.com/news/xbox-360-update-from-daryl-allison]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I just want to say, I fecking called it!

There was no reason I could think of for delaying the 360 version by a couple of weeks unless they (EA/Microsoft) knew it would clobber any hype surrounding the Xbone version.

Xbox 360, more than 30fps
Xbone, less than 60fps

I wonder how far apart they'll be once actually measured.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is so frigging weasely. So what, it runs as 31 FPS? It clearly doesn't run at 60 FPS or they'd have said so and anything between 30 and 60 doesn't actually matter much because of the way refresh rates work

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Man, I really hope that this is good for the 360. I have zero plans to buy a Xbox One in the near future (or in the future period but that can always change if Microsoft makes a few changes) but I am getting so freaking sick of Call of Duty that I want something to have my CoD friends latch onto so I can finally abandon it w/o abandoning my friends.

Graphics, FPS, how many gigaplats does it googlyfly; none of the technical stuff matters to me at all as long as the game itself is excellent.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Man, I really hope that this is good for the 360. I have zero plans to buy a Xbox One in the near future (or in the future period but that can always change if Microsoft makes a few changes) but I am getting so freaking sick of Call of Duty that I want something to have my CoD friends latch onto so I can finally abandon it w/o abandoning my friends.

Graphics, FPS, how many gigaplats does it googlyfly; none of the technical stuff matters to me at all as long as the game itself is excellent.
Yeah, I'm relieved to hear they don't plan on cutting too much from the 360 version. Especially as I can't stop listening to this.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Well it's the Source Engine, I'd be surprised if they couldn't get it to run on the 360. Although notice how it doesn't say the resolution, which makes me think it'll run at 720 or maybe even sub-720 at 30fps.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Well, 30FPS is like the bare minimum passing grade for gaming, so, yeah, you'd kinda hope it'd be able to do that.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Well it's the Source Engine, I'd be surprised if they couldn't get it to run on the 360. Although notice how it doesn't say the resolution, which makes me think it'll run at 720 or maybe even sub-720 at 30fps.
More likely it will have cut down textures, AA and particles versus the Xbox One version. Battlefield 3/4 run at 1280 x 704 and they're both much more complicated than Titanfall (which has fixed level geometry), I wouldn't expect Titanfall to be anything else than 720p on 360, which is why the Xbone version is so specifically 792p.

Titanfall isn't CPU intensive at all, for all the marketing bluster the AI bots aren't much different than Call of Duty's faceless goons, they navigate to a point, fire for a bit, then navigate to the next point until someone kills them. It only becomes RAM heavy on the PC when you use the higher or highest res textures too, so I bet the 360 version is great.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
30 FPS for a shooter that's meant to be so fast pace and centered around smooth movement is pretty terrible. They should have just dropped those pointless fucking 'AI' and lowered the resolution significantly to retain an acceptable frame rate.
If Brink felt awful at 30 FPS, I can't even imagine how bad it will be for Titanfall.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Westaway said:
30 FPS for a shooter that's meant to be so fast pace and centered around smooth movement is pretty terrible. They should have just dropped those pointless fucking 'AI' and lowered the resolution significantly to retain an acceptable frame rate.
If Brink felt awful at 30 FPS, I can't even imagine how bad it will be for Titanfall.
The AI is half the point for the game modes, it's how you can out score the enemy in attrition and they can act as cover for pilots if they're hidden in a group. It's part of why the game is different and interesting, it does more than just sit there, it's something that has to be played with to get I think.
Also the AI isn't handled by the hardware, they're handled by by the servers.

OT: I've been curious how it will be, well I still am since we've yet to see it run and it's by a different dev team. It's likely they could get it running by lowering the amount of textures going per level and what not as they just seem to have a LOT of that going. The game on highest texture settings demands over 3GB of video ram.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Snotnarok said:
The AI is half the point for the game modes, it's how you can out score the enemy in attrition and they can act as cover for pilots if they're hidden in a group. It's part of why the game is different and interesting, it does more than just sit there, it's something that has to be played with to get I think.
No, they're pretty much there only to make bad players feel like they've accomplished something. The excuses of either "they're there to score points" or "they're there to get your Titan faster" hold absolutely no water because the maximum points to win or call in your Titan could just be lowered to compensate. After playing for a couple hours on my friend's PC I can safely say the only thing they did of note was waste my ammo and slightly frustrate me.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
It runs at 60 FPS for the most part, but it goes down at times depending on the map and how much action there is (which kinda seems a bit worse than being locked at 30 to me, but a lot of people will be happy with it). And it looks pretty good, too. Not as high fidelity as the PC version, but the lower res textures and lighting effects don't really detract from the overall aesthetic. A really good job of optimizing the engine, I'd say.

Also, could you please stop believing the bullshit regarding the AI? It is NOT handled by the cloud because there is no NEED for it to be handled by the cloud (yes, it's the same bullshit as SimCity 2013). AI computations in a game like this use basically no resources (there's even a great article on the Escapist about it, give it a read). Not to mention that the AI in the game is pretty basic. There is nothing special about it. It is NOT the point of the game. The AI creeps are just there to give you something to shoot and make the game feel more intense (and it works, too)

In fact, pretty much any game that boasts "next-gen AI" is lying. Sure, AI could be much better, but it's not a matter of processing power at this point (and it hasn't been for many years) unless we're talking about REALLY large numbers of AI controlled entities (I'm talking in the hundreds and thousands, not dozens)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
on the Xbox 360 .
sorry, the two are not compatible. Chose one.

fix-the-spade said:
I just want to say, I fecking called it!

There was no reason I could think of for delaying the 360 version by a couple of weeks unless they (EA/Microsoft) knew it would clobber any hype surrounding the Xbone version.

Xbox 360, more than 30fps
Xbone, less than 60fps

I wonder how far apart they'll be once actually measured.
see, it probably means above 30 fps the same way it meant 60 FPS for Xbone. that is, in the menu it will do more than 30 fps, less everywhere.
but yeah, in reality its probably just going to have its graphics gutted completely and the bot AI turned mindless since it does not have enough RAM for AI. Also very likely generated in 480p or 572p at best.

Then again, making a game run on Eggsbox 3.60 at all is impressive enough.

BrotherRool said:
This is so frigging weasely. So what, it runs as 31 FPS? It clearly doesn't run at 60 FPS or they'd have said so and anything between 30 and 60 doesn't actually matter much because of the way refresh rates work
considering their latest demo for tech was hardcapped at 32 FPS.....

tippy2k2 said:
this statement directly contradicts itself.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Westaway said:
Snotnarok said:
No, they're pretty much there only to make bad players feel like they've accomplished something. The excuses of either "they're there to score points" or "they're there to get your Titan faster" hold absolutely no water because the maximum points to win or call in your Titan could just be lowered to compensate. After playing for a couple hours on my friend's PC I can safely say the only thing they did of note was waste my ammo and slightly frustrate me.
Well you didn't play long enough then, troops at a distance can be mistaken for pilots, pilots can hang around them and blend in, they can kill you if you're clumbsy enough with 1 kick if you're injured and if someone goes for just them they can out score you, they are able to do damage to your titans if you're not keeping aware of them. Yes they're dumb but when they do manage to get something off like a kick or that last hit that dooms your titan you curse them like you would any player. Hacking specters can have a squad of them barraging an enemy titan with rockets which is nice.

It's something new, there's other modes where they're less important to scoring but it's not something to be just tossed aside because it's not like other shooters, that's what makes them interesting.

Just for bad players? No, I've seen good players turn them into your team losing because they can murder them quickly, quietly then you for following them. It's different, and that's fun.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Strazdas said:
and the bot AI turned mindless since it does not have enough RAM for AI. Also very likely generated in 480p or 572p at best.
The AI are dumb as rocks anyway. Titanfall is not a big or complicated game, the PC version of the game ('insane' textures and all) takes up 14GB of hard disc space. The remaining 34GB of install is taken up by Respawn copy pasting the game's entire audio library in completely uncompressed files for every single language the game is published in. Regards GPU usage, turn the textures down to medium and it uses less than 400mb of VRAM most of the time, turn them to 'insane' and it the usage at 3GB, so nobody knows how much it really needs.

AI in FPS games is neither RAM nor CPU heavy and hasn't been for decades now (unless you're playing ARMA with 500+ units in play), it won't be an issue for the 360, it's texture resolutions and post processing effects that need lots of RAM.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Strazdas said:
tippy2k2 said:
How so?

If the game runs (I suppose I didn't say that but I assumed a working video game was implied) and if the game is fun are my only requirements. How does that contradict itself?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Strazdas said:
and the bot AI turned mindless since it does not have enough RAM for AI. Also very likely generated in 480p or 572p at best.
The AI are dumb as rocks anyway. Titanfall is not a big or complicated game, the PC version of the game ('insane' textures and all) takes up 14GB of hard disc space. The remaining 34GB of install is taken up by Respawn copy pasting the game's entire audio library in completely uncompressed files for every single language the game is published in. Regards GPU usage, turn the textures down to medium and it uses less than 400mb of VRAM most of the time, turn them to 'insane' and it the usage at 3GB, so nobody knows how much it really needs.

AI in FPS games is neither RAM nor CPU heavy and hasn't been for decades now (unless you're playing ARMA with 500+ units in play), it won't be an issue for the 360, it's texture resolutions and post processing effects that need lots of RAM.
I am aware that the AI is not very complicated in graphics requirements. Its a poor looking game after all. ANd im well aware of the 34 GB of audio, in fact you probably remmeber me posting in that thread. That however says nothing about games complexity or AI. They do not take much space on your hard drive or video card load, yet it can ask for a lot of resources, ones that we usually dont pay much attention to, such as regular RAM size, bus speeds, cache reaction times. That is, if you got good AI. The main reason cited for AI not improving on old consoles are actually lack of RAM. when a single unit can be dumb and take 5 mb of ram or smart and take 50 mb of ram its important when your total is merely 512 mb.

AI in FPS has been dumb for decades, and you can thank console limited hardware for that. however on machines as outdated as 360 - anything is important. things we take for granted on computers that dont bother us such as uncompressing 1000 sound files at once wont even make us feel the CPU need, meanwhile on eggsbox your going to lagspike. thats how bad the hardware on consoles is.

Texture resolution and effects take videoram. i was talking about regular ram.

tippy2k2 said:
Strazdas said:
tippy2k2 said:
How so?

If the game runs (I suppose I didn't say that but I assumed a working video game was implied) and if the game is fun are my only requirements. How does that contradict itself?
Simple. Lets say your FPS is low. Game becomes unplayable when all you see is a slideshow.
Another example, lets say the resolution is so low you cant read the objective. once again game becomes unplayable.
And even if its playable, its far from exellent. exellent is a very high bar that you set for it. and that means its great on all deparments, graphic fidelity included.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Westaway said:
Sounds like you're easily frustrated in that case. I think they're a clever little addition that adds to the energy of the game online.