Dwarven Forge Miniatures Terrain Raises over $1.5M on Kickstarter

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Dwarven Forge Miniatures Terrain Raises over $1.5M on Kickstarter

With 48 hours left to go, Dwarven Forge's new caverns miniatures terrain has raised over $1.5 million through its latest Kickstarter campaign.

Last year, Dwarven Forge hit Kickstarter with a campaign to raise $50,000 to build dungeon terrain for tabletop miniatures gaming. On April 30, the campaign ended with a staggering $1.9 million raised. This year, Dwarven Forge is looking to add caverns terrain to its product line of handcrafted, modular gaming terrain, and with 48 hours left to go, the company has once again exceeded its funding goal more than tenfold.

The $100,000 goal was attained in nine minutes. Today, more than 3,500 backers have pledged a total of over $1.5 million. Taking a look at the quality of the 3D tiles, it's no surprise why - any tabletop gamer would be proud to showcase these pieces at a gaming session.

Dwarven Forge's terrain is constructed from a material the team developed after nearly a year of research and testing. Dubbed "Dwarvenite," the material takes paint well and is nearly indestructible - Dwarven Forge President Jeff Martin threw some tiles off a 10-story tower, then ran them over with his truck, and they weren't even scratched. Speaking with The Escapist, Martin says the recipe for Dwarvenite "is guarded by an ancient red dragon with psionics."

In order to nail the cavern design, chief sculptor Stefan Pokorny traveled to the world's largest cave system, Mammoth Caves, to study the landscape in person. Martin says that the team doesn't have specific plans just yet for the next terrain line Dwarven Forge will produce, but that there are many ideas floating around.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-caverns-dwarvenite-game-tiles-mini?ref=live&gclid=CKvm55yxxb0CFUNo7Aodtl8A8g/]

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I've looked into these when I was after some terrain for a tabletop game. They're all very nicely done and I like their portability and their durability; but they're far too expensive for my blood. Then my heart sank a bit further when I found out that they're actually one of the more reasonably priced ones on the market...

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
There have been a couple of different casters hawking similar product lines via kickstarter. The fact that it costs roughly half as much in shipping as the cost of the product itself to get some to Australia, has kept me from purchasing any sets.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Deshin said:
I've looked into these when I was after some terrain for a tabletop game. They're all very nicely done and I like their portability and their durability; but they're far too expensive for my blood. Then my heart sank a bit further when I found out that they're actually one of the more reasonably priced ones on the market...
Yeah, it seems to be one of those "collect piecemeal and slowly get a good collection" kind of things; or a "people with too much disposable income" kind of thing. Which is a shame because they are apparently quite excellent.

I'm glad they are upgrading the caverns set to the new material. When I actually get around to buying some it'll be nice for them to be a bit more durable and elastic. The old ones were basically carved rocks (which is actually kind of appropriate for the caverns set but still a bit too brittle for easy transport). I just wish I had the money to get in on the kickstarter; SO MANY PIECES PER PLEDGE!

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Yeah the cost of these things, plus the need to paint them (painting is not my strong suit) kept me from buying into these kind of things. I went with paper terrain.