The Other Quicksilver Wants To Sell You An Egg Sandwich (Spoilers)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Other Quicksilver Wants To Sell You An Egg Sandwich (Spoilers)

Magneto's sharp-dressed son is revealed in a breakfast sandwich commercial in continued Marvel vs. Fox superhero arms race.

Warning: Contains spoilers for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The most amusingly-strange ongoing tangle over rights-issues in Hollywood's current age of superheroes continued to get stranger today as fast food chain Carl's Jr unveiled a new breakfast sandwich ad that also serves as the big "in-motion" reveal of Evan Peters as Fox's version of the mutant speedster Quicksilver from X-Men: Days of Future Past. The ad is part of a series pitching the "X-Tra Bacon" tie-in promotion with the film, but the first to feature a new character.

At issue is the semi-unique case of Quicksilver (and his sister Scarlet Witch) being the subject of dual-ownership in Hollywood. Debuting in the 1960s as Marvel villains but soon after converted into heroes as part of The Avengers' first major membership overhaul, they are legally allowed to appear in films for both Marvel Studios and Fox (which currently owns movie-rights to Marvel's X-Men franchise) - but only Fox can call them "mutants" or reference Magneto.

Originally said to be only a minor character in DOFP, Fox's Quicksilver has recently received a larger push that some have suggested to be a reaction by Fox to the announcement of the "official" Marvel Universe version's appearance in Avengers: Age of Ultron (rumors of bad blood between the two studios are legendary). The Marvel version of the character (played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson) has already "beaten" his other self to theaters, appearing in a post-credits scene alongside Scarlet Witch in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
And I must say... that extra credits scene is awesome. I was afraid they were going to be cheesy like Fox's (see above) but they handled it perfectly.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
The look is so cheesy I think he looks like hes dressed more to be in Power Rangers then a movie. lol

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
That's Fox's Quicksilver?

Lol, GG, Mahvel wins again, everyone back on the bus,
Yup.
That being said it was certainly impressive to look worse than Marvel Movie's Quicksilver from the pictures I've seen. Poor Quicksilver.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Seeing what Fox's version of Quicksilver looks like make me think of only one thing. It has been used alot on the net but it really does sum up my feelings on this.

Dec 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Yup.
That being said it was certainly impressive to look worse than Marvel Movie's Quicksilver from the pictures I've seen. Poor Quicksilver.
It's like some terrabad cosplay XD

Getting Vergil cosplay flashbacks just looking at it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
hazabaza1 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Yup.
It's like some terrabad cosplay XD

Getting Vergil cosplay flashbacks just looking at it.

And that wasn't even with too much searching.

Still once they give it all the movie magic and people looking less dumb taking up the screen I doubt it'll harm either movie's entertainment value.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
That Quick Silver looks incredibly dumb.

Did they even think that obvious bad-wig looked like real hair? WTF is going on over at Fox?

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Who's in charge of costume designs?! Louise Mingerbach?! How did this costume get approved?! What about this outfit suggests that his powers are speed-based? I know the X-Men movies have always had this "no comic book costumes/outfits" thing, but seriously? Quicksilver's WORST comic book costume is better than this. It looks like he stumbled into a thrift shop and never bothered to take off the clothes he ran into.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Makabriel said:
And I must say... that extra credits scene is awesome. I was afraid they were going to be cheesy like Fox's (see above) but they handled it perfectly.
<spoiler= I wholeheartedly agree>
I found the crunch when Scarlet Witch broke the blocks just a little unnerving, but I thought the little post credits scene of Bucky standing in front of his own monument was more intense.

I really want to see a Bucky Barnes movie, if Marvel avoid the easy route of him 'just remembering one day' then there's so much potential for the character. Between dodging the continued affections of Hydra, avoiding the good Captain and figuring out who (or what) he is there's got to be enough for at least one movie. Even if a Winter Soldier movie just turns out as Jason Bourne but with super heroes that would be brilliant.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Oh boy, that's their Quicksilver? I don't mean to beat on the actor, didn't see him in action, but he looks like a fucking cosplayer.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
THE GOGGLES !  THEY DO NOTHING!

Let's see, bad white wig? Shiny silver fake leather jacket? Goggles? Did Fox secretly hire Joel Shumacher?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
That costume, it's... I don't have the words. I'm surprised FOX still has the money to spend on this level of trolling.

On another note, I can't wait to see what Marvel does with Scarlet Witch considering her ability to rewrite the universe and history of mental instability. Especially since they can't call her a mutant or name her "hex" powers as such.

Nepenthe87

Apr 28, 2011
The two seconds you see of quicksilver in the MCU is more interesting than this. It's sad that Marvel has to come up with a "bastardized" origin for quicksilver and scarlet witch just to get them into their franchise, and the company that can actually do them justice just whores them out for fast food commercials.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
It seems like this whole Quicksilver thing in X-Men seems to have only been made so it generate some controversy. Not very cool.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
FOX has unfortunately fallen into the same ugly reactionary habit that DC has when it comes to Marvel.

To my recollection, FOX/Singer had not actually cast or written any scene with Quicksilver for DOFP until AFTER Whedon announced the twins would be in Age of Ultron. The news at the time was that Singer had "an action sequence" that would include Quicksilver that he was oh so excited about... but it's easy to suspect this was just a means to prevent any potential effort of Marvel (who have been attempting to reacquire ALL their film property rights) from being able to make a case that could prevent FOX from using the characters due to "non-usage." I don't pretend to know all the legal stuff involved... but it seems pretty obvious given commonly available details thus far.

Aside from that...
It just doesn't serve to advance their DOFP story in any appreciable way and it's not likely to develop the character either.

And then, for them to go "commercial" with the character directly after Marvel's first appearance of their version just makes them look cheap, tawdry, and even a bit desperate. It's exactly the same corporate PR-minded mentality that is failing DC.

I really wish FOX just had a story they'd trust enough to not feel they needed to resort to "tactics" for attention.
I fully expect that "action sequence" to be 2-3 seconds of blur, a brief close-up, a stop motion break down of another 2-3 seconds of "combat", and a little more blur before he's gone from the rest of the movie.
Precious seconds taken from an infinitely cooler (pardon the pun) Iceman sequence they could focus on... or you know... any one of the other characters they actually develop as more than props for action.