inFamous: Second Son for PS4 Sells Over One Million Units in Nine Days

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia has announced that Sucker Punch's inFamous: Second Son global sales have exceeded one million in just nine days, making it the fastest-selling entry in the franchise.

In a press release, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia (SCE Australia) has announced that worldwide sales of Sucker Punch's debut PlayStation 4 game, inFAMOUS: Second Son, has already surpassed one million sales in just nine days since the title's March 21 release. This makes inFAMOUS: Second Son the fastest-selling entry in the franchise and to think, it's still set to launch in Japan in May.

If you haven't played it yet, The Escapist's review of inFAMOUS: Second Son cites it as the "super-powered Animal Crossing. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/11121-inFAMOUS-Second-Son-Review-The-Good-Son.2]

Is this a testament to inFAMOUS: Second Son's quality, or just proof that PS4 users are hungry for exclusive next-gen offerings?

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/10/infamous-second-son-sold-1-million-copies-in-nine-days/]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
According to VG Chartz Titanfall is at 1.25 million units sold. I'm honestly surprised to see that Infamous Second Son is selling faster than Titanfall considering the hype machine Titanfall had.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Shame it's not a patch on the first two!
Interesting Characters? Gone!
Good Storyline? Vanished!
Huge Sandbox City? Nope!

"But look", say Sony, it's pretty and you can use the controllers touch sensitive pad to do something you could do by pressing X!

Alex Co said:
Is this a testament to iinFAMOUS: Second Son's quality, or just proof that PS4 users are hungry for exclusive next-gen offerings?

I'll take option 2!

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Happy to hear it's selling well. It's not a revolution, but solid game overall.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Really, best of the series? Talk ain't cheap, it's free.

Wraith said:
And here I sit, wanting another Prototype game. Le sigh.
Go directly to jail, do not collect 200$ when you pass start.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
putowtin said:
"But look", say Sony, it's pretty and you can use the controllers touch sensitive pad to do something you could do by pressing X!
The touch pad makes everything less effective. Used to be you could absorb juice by simply standing close enough. And if you drained a source and another was close by you'd instantly suck that one dry too. Now it's all context sensitive icons, sometimes not even responding initially.

How anyone can look at this game and see it in any way (other than graphics) as an improvement over the first two is baffling to me.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'd say a little of column A and a little of column B. It's a good game, but I won't say it's better than Infamous 2. But it is one of the more high profile Exclusives on the PS4, so that is probably helping.

Rawbeard said:
Is it a massive financial desaster, though?
Unlikely. You'd be surprised by the actual sales numbers of games. A large number of them really don't sell anywhere close to even five million copies. Even some successful games.

In all likelihood, this is a great success.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Saltyk said:
I'd say a little of column A and a little of column B. It's a good game, but I won't say it's better than Infamous 2. But it is one of the more high profile Exclusives on the PS4, so that is probably helping.

Rawbeard said:
Unlikely. You'd be surprised by the actual sales numbers of games. A large number of them really don't sell anywhere close to even five million copies. Even some successful games.

In all likelihood, this is a great success.
Yeah, this definitely feels like a case of where there is no better game in the pool so it wins by default. The PS Vita is sort of in the same boat, though it does have interesting games at the very least... just need to get back to trying to continue Deception IV.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
According to VG Chartz Titanfall is at 1.25 million units sold. I'm honestly surprised to see that Infamous Second Son is selling faster than Titanfall considering the hype machine Titanfall had.
I noticed too. Titanfall had a 10 day head start, TONS of pre-release hype (still groan at IGN's "believe the hype" statement), and is pretty much the ONLY game legitimately worth plunking down the cash for an Xbox One thus far.

But I noticed the hype has sort of deflated post-launch. Still a good game, but I think a lot of people realized it's just that: a GOOD game, but not the second coming it was hyped up and marketed to be.

I think good word of mouth on Infamous Second Son will give it stronger legs in the long run, but, I don't know... I noticed Titanfall still is outselling it in Shooter Country Central, America, while the rest of the globe appears more interested in Infamous.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It doesn't look bad but it hasn't made me run out to grab a PS4. I would assume it's a bit of A and B though: it doesn't look bad by any stretch and much better than the new Killzone. That being said though, it's one of the few games that I can ONLY play on the PS4. I plan on getting it when I get a PS4 but I don't plan on getting a PS4 until Square has released one or both of those hotly anticipated JRPGs in a year or three from now.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Hah! Joke's on you, Sony, I bought the game on day fifteen, outside of this nine-day window..

Rawbeard said:
Nah, losing money on successful games is the Square-Enix way. Sony is better with their finances than that.

Alex Co said:
Is this a testament to inFAMOUS: Second Son's quality, or just proof that PS4 users are hungry for exclusive next-gen offerings?
I'm gonna go ahead and say it's both. I have thoroughly enjoyed what I've played of it so far, but I did mainly get it because I needed a new PS4 game (Ground Zeroes and Resogun weren't really cutting it for me anymore. I don't think this game is system-sellingly good, but it's fairly solid, and will definitely pass the time until more games come out.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I hear inFamous 2 is better, but I haven't played it. I own the first one, but I haven't played it yet either. Don't judge!

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Honestly, for all the flaws I keep hearing about, this game still sounds fun. Even the first half of Yahtzee's review made it sound interesting.

AzrealMaximillion said:
I guess the hype just died. I'm guilty of murdering the hype for a few of my friends just by telling them it's online only. That, and more people own ps4 that xb1's, some of which are probably users who dumped their 360's and jumped ship so Sony and have no means of playing it. And for some reason, it doesn't really strike me as game that would popular with gamers who play exclusively on pc. I've only seen them tote that they can play on pc, not that they want to

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Of course it did. That is what, like a sixth of the install base, no doubt all people waiting for a quality title to come along. Even with it's flaws, it's still one of the best the system has to offer. The underlining message being that that system needs more games.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
To be honest, this is what I've been talking about on the forums here. Sony's got a strangely solid reputation with its software. The PS brand has brought the most sleeper hits overall in terms of console sales. Hits that don't rely on a specific genre either.

In my opinion Sony has the most creative in house publisher of the big 3. With Demon's Souls to Mark of Kri to Shadow of the Colossus, something about SCE as a publisher makes the majority of the games they publisher sell much better than they would on the other 2 consoles.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Alex Co said:

After much thought I'd have to agree that it's indeed a bit of both. Yes, it's a good game, and yes the masses are hungry. In thinking of the games I'm looking forward to, I'll be purchasing a PS4 game every month. (every other month on two) It's noticeable that the release of games is solid, but slow. I do have some gripes about inFamous: SS, but it's a decent game regardless of those perceived faults. The loss of the Xp system makes fighting bad guys a chore; a rather boring chore not a challenging one. It's not worth my time to stop crime or heal civilians. Karma is too easy to earn I had barely cleared 4 areas and gotten paragon rating. Gone with the Xp system is the stunts; different methods to kill/capture enemies. A simple head shot might give you 3xp, but a head shot while falling from a building would give you 10xp (just an example, not real number) So yeah I just plow through the enemies with my heavy attack or just snipe from a distance. Finding Blast Shards is no longer an Easter egg hunt. I swear I broke a controller with all those radar presses. The only difficulty is hitting the moving target. Still fun, yet not quite like previous games. The charm is there. Feels easier if not less challenging.