Titanfall Update Adds Private Matches, Kills Wall-Hack Exploit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall Update Adds Private Matches, Kills Wall-Hack Exploit

Today's Titanfall update ushers in the Private Match beta test and makes it a lot tougher for PC players to cheat.

Respawn Entertainment released an extensive cross-platform update for Titanfall today, which among many other things sees the launch of the Private Matches beta test. Private Matches will support two to 12 players - one to six per side - and can be played with any of the game's maps or modes. No experience will be awarded for Private Matches during the beta, nor will Challenges progress or achievements be unlocked, and there will also be no "lobby leader," meaning that any player can change the game options or start (or stop) the match countdown timer.

Other changes include the addition of party colors to the mini-map, various menu tweaks, some game balance updates and CTF scoring changes. On the platform-specific side of the coin, the Xbox One edition of Titanfall will now have a shortcut on all menus that will open the "Party" app, while the security hole that allowed PC players to "wall-hack" by modifying local configuration files has been closed. Numerous other, less exciting bug fixes have also been implemented on both the Xbox One and the PC.

The update announcement also touched on plans for the future, including more custom loadouts, better 120hz monitor support, enhanced Challenges interaction, new scoreboard icons and more. Full details of what's in store and what's coming next are up at at titanfall.com [http://www.titanfall.com/news/titanfall-patch-update-two].

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Private lobbies change everything!

Clan matches, Sunday Knives only, drunken trolling!

Halleluja!

In all seriousness, on the rare occasions on PC when twelve organised players get together Titanfall can be ace, whilst against randoms it's positively dull. Hooray for including one of the most basic features in online FPS games, eventually!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Wait what?

It didn't come with private matches built in? Surely that should be standard for a multiplayer game?

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Genocidicles said:
Wait what?

It didn't come with private matches built in? Surely that should be standard for a multiplayer game?
It hasn't been "required" since Modern Warfare 2.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
FINALLY, some private lobbies.

God knows why that wasn't included from the get-go, but it's nice to see the multiplayer features finally catching up with the amazing game they're supposed to support.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Any multiplayer game that didn't come with built in private matches clearly has had no work put into it. Guess I'm keeping off this stinker.
Clearly.

OT:
Good to hear. Never used private lobbies (at least not recently), but glad it's there for people. It's honestly odd to see so much want for them, but I suppose that's more of a community-driven thing.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Let's see...

On the Escapist? Check.
News article about Titanfall? Check.
Author uses the words 'PC' and/or 'Xbox one'? Check.

-OT-
Finally. This was the update I've been waiting for. Privates lobbies and some much needed balancing tweaks.

Still wish they'd include some form of solo play; even if it requires some slap-dash AI inclusion for "bot Pilots". But it's not really needed.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So they didn't have private matches to begin with. That's news to me. Lame news. Despite the fact the industry is moving more and more to online multiplayer, I am increasingly getting ranged up over the lack of care put into a AAA game. They were charging US$60 for an online only multiplayer game that on 2 of 3 systems cost extra a month to play, has an excuse plot no one cares about(making it a waste of time for Respawn to put in), and didn't have a standard multiplayer feature(meaning it was probably rushed in one or more aspects). That might be a reason why I'm put off buying a new console. This gen seems to be looking worst than the last(unless you got a decent PC).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Wow, escapist members are pretty unforgiving, I'd hate to have to apologize for anything as nothing seems to make up for it.
Having private matches is unacceptable? Well only a short while after launch they put it out for free! Not good enough? ...Uhh...What WOULD make that good enough? They have to go back in time and fix it before launch?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Wow, escapist members are pretty unforgiving,
They've always been like that. Sometimes the Escapist Gaming Discussion Board turn into one big ol' complaint forum.

My question here is if they will support split-screen.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Snotnarok said:
Wow, escapist members are pretty unforgiving, I'd hate to have to apologize for anything as nothing seems to make up for it.
Having private matches is unacceptable? Well only a short while after launch they put it out for free! Not good enough? ...Uhh...What WOULD make that good enough? They have to go back in time and fix it before launch?
The Escapist Forums:

If it's at all possible to complain about something, come hell or high water someone around here will find a way.

Especially if it's something that has absolutely no effect on them or anything they do.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Well on a tangentially related topic (sorry no where to turn), and given the escapist's tendency to be really helpfull:
Anyone on earth have a clue about the 360 version no one except me seems to care about?

Every time I finish a match and it reaches the load screen to send me back to lobby it crashes my whole xbox 360.

Normally i'ld go to the EA support forums but.....hahahaha no never, why would anyone go there? (Joke aside i did and it was fruitless)

Any help from my favorite community on the web? ._. please?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Genocidicles said:
Wait what?

that was my reaction as well. why would you not come with private matches or some form of party training room? i mean i could understand if i could have my own servers, then i could just host my own private server, but with game that does not allow private servers this sounds like an awful oversight.

Snotnarok said:
What wouldm ake that good enough? having crucial features on launch? how about that? And no, you can fix the past. if you released a incomplete product you released incomplete product even if you completed or for free later.
There is nothing to "Forgive". Its only factual stuff, game lacked features at launch. they later patched them for free. Good on them, most either dont bother or ask money for it. Already puts them a head above most developers. does not mean we instantly forget it was missing at launch though.

Vigormortis said:
Especially if it's something that has absolutely no effect on them or anything they do.
Oh, yes, trends in high profile games have absolutely no effect on gamers.

cricket chirps said:
Every time I finish a match and it reaches the load screen to send me back to lobby it crashes my whole xbox 360.

Normally i'ld go to the EA support forums but.....hahahaha no never, why would anyone go there? (Joke aside i did and it was fruitless)

Any help from my favorite community on the web? ._. please?
i heard some other people complain about having to restart the xbox every match as well. seems to be a rather popular problem. no fix as far as i know. But thats what you get running modern games on obsolete hardware.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Strazdas said:
Vigormortis said:
Oh, yes, trends in high profile games have absolutely no effect on gamers.
Unless someone can show that that "trend" will actually become a trend, and only if it becomes a detrimental trend within the genres or series in which that person plays, then yes it in fact has no affect on them.

And even if it does, what does bitching about a game one doesn't play have to do with it? What does it accomplish besides derailing the conversation? Would it not make more sense to go into threads about the game they play and point out "trends" ruining it? Wouldn't they be better served by requesting the makers of their preferred games not include such "trends"?

Of course they would. But that would be constructive. And god forbid anyone posts something constructive...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Strazdas said:
Snotnarok said:
What wouldm ake that good enough? having crucial features on launch? how about that? And no, you can fix the past. if you released a incomplete product you released incomplete product even if you completed or for free later.
There is nothing to "Forgive". Its only factual stuff, game lacked features at launch. they later patched them for free. Good on them, most either dont bother or ask money for it. Already puts them a head above most developers. does not mean we instantly forget it was missing at launch though.
I'm not sure how it's so unforgivable when they're delivering free content, yes it was missing said feature but no one said it had to come with it, there's no real standard with shooters, especially when this one is trying to do things different. They didn't try and fix it via a paid DLC or put it in one of the already 3 announced DLC packs, it's totally free.

Being self entitled and blowing off the devs trying to make things right isn't going to get the devs on your side, or anyone. They've already said they're going to be adding game modes for free even before launch and that leaves players to try something new as they release them.

Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't have a deathmatch where all 8 players can fight it out with guns, or capture the flag. So clearly valve needs to get told how to do shooters
Team Fortress 2 has no team deathmatch mode, or a death match at all! How can it be missing such a basic feature as a multiplayer only shooter?

Call of duty doesn't have tanks, or even cars in the multiplayer, didn't battlefield make that standard?

GTA V launched without multiplayer, how unforgivable right? A series that never really had multiplayer to boot.

Battlefield 3 didn't have a veichleless TDM or DM mode, infact you had to pay for it if you wanted it.

There's no standard, getting upset at devs for making good with free content isn't going to help, let them know what we expect or want but to be so self entitled to blow off something everyone wanted? Kind of selfish.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Unless someone can show that that "trend" will actually become a trend, and only if it becomes a detrimental trend within the genres or series in which that person plays, then yes it in fact has no affect on them.

And even if it does, what does bitching about a game one doesn't play have to do with it? What does it accomplish besides derailing the conversation? Would it not make more sense to go into threads about the game they play and point out "trends" ruining it? Wouldn't they be better served by requesting the makers of their preferred games not include such "trends"?

Of course they would. But that would be constructive. And god forbid anyone posts something constructive...
It is a clear trend of not delivering features that used to be available (split screen, LAN games, private servers). This trend has been increasing for multiple years now. Im sure this has an effect to anyone that used such modes.

Also who said everyone bitching here did not play the game? Or does anyone not liking something must not play it?

Snotnarok said:
I'm not sure how it's so unforgivable when they're delivering free content, yes it was missing said feature but no one said it had to come with it, there's no real standard with shooters, especially when this one is trying to do things different. They didn't try and fix it via a paid DLC or put it in one of the already 3 announced DLC packs, it's totally free.

Being self entitled and blowing off the devs trying to make things right isn't going to get the devs on your side, or anyone. They've already said they're going to be adding game modes for free even before launch and that leaves players to try something new as they release them.

Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't have a deathmatch where all 8 players can fight it out with guns, or capture the flag. So clearly valve needs to get told how to do shooters
Team Fortress 2 has no team deathmatch mode, or a death match at all! How can it be missing such a basic feature as a multiplayer only shooter?

Call of duty doesn't have tanks, or even cars in the multiplayer, didn't battlefield make that standard?

GTA V launched without multiplayer, how unforgivable right? A series that never really had multiplayer to boot.

Battlefield 3 didn't have a veichleless TDM or DM mode, infact you had to pay for it if you wanted it.

There's no standard, getting upset at devs for making good with free content isn't going to help, let them know what we expect or want but to be so self entitled to blow off something everyone wanted? Kind of selfish.[/quote]
Here is the content that used to be available with every game. We did not include it at all when selling you the game. Now we are actually letting you have that content, we are so generous! you can now use content that every older game had included, completely free, except after you buy our game.
Paid DLC is in itself a discussion, one that shouldnt be needed but is.

I dont want "Devs on my side". i want them to make a compelling product at launch.

L2D2 and TF2 are no angels either. Just because some people glorify valve foes not mean everyone does.
Call of Duty has recieved its share of scorn for not including vehicles too btw.

GTA was never a multiplayer game. In fact the first non-mod multiplayer showed up on GTA 4, arguably a 10th game in the series. Multiplayer does not have to be in every game and a long history of GTA shown that it works perfectly fine as a singleplayer game.

Also you seem to be missing the point, its not game modes, its game functions that we are missing. private servers/matches is a function, not game mode.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Two REALLY good things coming out of this patch, for the xbox one, at least.... Being able to have private matches will allow us to better learn the maps, which is a necessity. But for me, the biggest thing this patch fixes is the GEN 5 Gooser challenge. Killing 50 ejecting pilots is a serious pain in the butt. Now, you only have to kill 5. I have four to go, mind you, because everything resets when you regen, but 4 is sooo much better than 49.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Any multiplayer game that didn't come with built in private matches clearly has had no work put into it. Guess I'm keeping off this stinker.
Your choice, but I honestly recommend giving the game a try before you decide that. You might be surprised.