Masters Of The Universe Movie Gets Kick-Ass Writer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Masters Of The Universe Movie Gets Kick-Ass Writer

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I haven't seen Kickass 1 or 2, but I have seen the other 2 films in which people related to this project have had a hand in. So...I'm pretty much righting this one off.

The only way this could have more of an uphill battle from the get go would be if the people behind the Silent Hill movies got involved.

Now I know that these people have probably done good work, but when you are referred to as The Legend of Chun Li's or the Lone Ranger's _____ then its safe to assume that THOSE were your good work or else people would know you by way of some non garbage movie right?

senkus

Apr 3, 2010
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I haven't seen Kickass 1 or 2, but I have seen the other 2 films in which people related to this project have had a hand in. So...I'm pretty much writing this one off.
I think Kick-Ass 2 was as good a sequel as it could be (I liked it a lot) and Wadlow also wrote a few Bates Motel episodes. I'ma keep an eye on this project.

KoudelkaMorgan said:
Now I know that these people have probably done good work, but when you are referred to as The Legend of Chun Li's or the Lone Ranger's _____ then its safe to assume that THOSE were your good work or else people would know you by way of some non garbage movie right?
Oh well, Terry Rossio also worked on those crappy, universally hated Pirates movies... ;)

Just... please... lose the pageboy.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I wonder if it will be as cheesy as the cartoon or they will make it gritty and dark? But then i havnt watched this show in over 25 years so it really doesnt bother me what route they take. Though i will keep my eye out for it, lets hope they dye a trained lion green for the movie. :)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I read the head line and wondered:
What writes is so good, the Escapists staff will refer to him/her as a "Kick-ass writer"

Then I read the post and understood what they meant :p

I liked Kick-ass 2, so this can't be a bad thing for the He-Man movie, didn't follow the series a lot as a kid, so will see if it seems interesting when trailers and such start appearing.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Didn't we already have a Live Action He-man film?

Eh...I guess I'll keep sort of an eye on it, maybe? I wasn't ever really that into He-man so I'm kinda in the "I don't really care" camp.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
For the love of 80s: Lets pray to the gods of greyskull that this isn't made into some grimdark reboot...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Guffe said:
I read the head line and wondered:
What writes is so good, the Escapists staff will refer to him/her as a "Kick-ass writer"

Then I read the post and understood what they meant :p

I liked Kick-ass 2, so this can't be a bad thing for the He-Man movie, didn't follow the series a lot as a kid, so will see if it seems interesting when trailers and such start appearing.
My biggest problem is that this script has been getting passed around like a cold. And he's rewriting what looks to have been a rewrite of a script and both previous scripts were written by the people behind two "less than good" movies. This does not inspire confidence. Even if the source material was a top notch series like Trigun that should be hard to screw up. And He-Man is a bit of a goofy series to begin with.

I hate to say it, but this can only really end up bad. If we're lucky, it might be fun to watch as an unintentional comedy. And I also liked Kick Ass and Kick Ass 2. It's just that when you hear of a script being passed around so much, it's generally pretty Frankensteinish.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
spartandude said:
Im surprised and disappointed that this video has yet to be posted on this thread.

But that's not the original video, that's the inferior cut down version.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
One of the stupidest idea every conceived which is basically conan in space and they're making another movie out of it. Don't americans produce anything original anymore?

cbrichar

Aug 30, 2009
Been there. Done that. Nothing will ever take the place of this one for me - born in '80, I was just the right age to think this was the greatest thing ever.

Apr 5, 2008
As a fan of the original filmation cartoon series, a man who as a boy watched these I would watch this film no matter who wrote, produced, starred in or directed it.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
KingsGambit said:
As a fan of the original filmation cartoon series, a man who as a boy watched these I would watch this film no matter who wrote, produced, starred in or directed it.
My stepson needs help learning to be more manly, since he is very much a mama's boy, and this is exactly what he needs to help Masculine him up quite a bit. I can't wait to take him to it...

Oct 20, 2010
KingsGambit said:
On the Plus side, if there is ANY franchise where you can just say "It IS / happens because REASONS" it He-Man.
I hope somebody decides to just go for broke and make this Ludicrous. Can you imagine somebody trying to make Masters of the Universe serious, or even make sense?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Not liking any of the news here. First, not a big fan of Kick Ass 2 (not bad, but not as good as the first). Then the original was written by the same as Lone Ranger. Moreover, working and reworking might betray a lack of unified vision.

Ah well, it could be worse...George Lucas could be directing...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Eh, I want to be psyched for this, but He-Man is one of those adaptations that Hollywood could easily screw up by either interpreting it wrong or simply giving too many shits for the film. This series thrives on the ridiculous, and any attempt to take it serious would probably make it bad.

On the flipside, though, any attempts to roll with the silliness and simply not care could make this suck because it's TOO ridiculous, even for He-Man.

I want this to be good, but there's just so much against it.