Heroes of the Storm Adds Murky, LiLi, Zagara, Brightwing to Roster

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Heroes of the Storm Adds Murky, LiLi, Zagara, Brightwing to Roster

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I'd been eagarly awaiting Zagara, just because Broodmothers look awesome...I'm a bit disappointed they're adding so many Warcraft heroes all at once, though I'm fairly sure a lot of it is 'so who's ready'. I *REALLY* want to see Arcturis Mengst, since one of his abilities is 'build propaganda tower', at least from datamining...

Also, yay for Pajamathur! I figured it'd be a real skin, I'm more surprised they were gauging fan reaction before finishing it than anything. Medic Uther is already in the game, by the way, assuming they mean 'Terran Medic'. I think that twitter was more commenting 'we can do all kinds of weird stuff' and cited Medic Uther as 'hero from one game if he was in another'.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I love Heroes of the Storm, it's doing some exciting things with MOBA's that I've wanted the genre to do for a while (calling a MOBA "DOTA-style" seems a bit old fashioned? HotS is about as far away from DOTA as you can get whilst still being a MOBA.)

...I have to ask though, do people have a lot of passion for WoW characters? With both this and hearthstone, I've enjoyed them as games but I've struggled to really care at all about the established characters. A few of the Starcraft people are exciting but I don't know, Blizzard don't really have a Nintendo Smash Bro.s esque roster to me. I'm not a big WoW player though, so it might well just be me

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I love Heroes of the Storm, it's doing some exciting things with MOBA's that I've wanted the genre to do for a while (calling a MOBA "DOTA-style" seems a bit old fashioned? HotS is about as far away from DOTA as you can get whilst still being a MOBA.)

...I have to ask though, do people have a lot of passion for WoW characters? With both this and hearthstone, I've enjoyed them as games but I've struggled to really care at all about the established characters. A few of the Starcraft people are exciting but I don't know, Blizzard don't really have a Nintendo Smash Bro.s esque roster to me. I'm not a big WoW player though, so it might well just be me
you have to consider that blizzard pretty much diregarded the existing warcraft lore during Wrath of the Lichking and Cataclysm, driving many people that played warcraft from the begining away (for instance: ashenvale becomes horde territory during cata; if you go by warcraft 3 and vanilla wow lore, the nightelves and tauren should have left the horde/alliance at that point and formed a third faction with the circle of cenarius to push the orcs out of the sacred woods of the druids). so logically, now they have to push the new characters in the hope that hype = well written characters.

on topic: nothing new there, most of this was datamined allready, and blizzard has a long tradition of making idiotic april fools jokes a reality (a pandaria expansion with a pet-arena system was an april fools joke during WoW: the burning crusade)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
A cool, it's puck.
BrotherRool said:

Warcraft has by far their biggest userbase so it makes sense to introduce those Characters first since they are more recognizable to most.

And some people don't like the term moba since it could apply to pretty much every mp game and is just something the riot PR department made up so people wouldn't call lol a dota clone all the time.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
teebeeohh said:
A cool, it's puck.
BrotherRool said:

Warcraft has by far their biggest userbase so it makes sense to introduce those Characters first since they are more recognizable to most.

And some people don't like the term moba since it could apply to pretty much every mp game and is just something the riot PR department made up so people wouldn't call lol a dota clone all the time.
That's how genre names are formed though. We went through a period of calling games 'Doom clones' and then we eventually settled on FPS, we went through a period of time calling games 'GTA clones' and then eventually settled on calling them open-world sandbox games. We've had 'Temple Run clones' become infinite runners, Bejewelled clones become match-three (although I'd say we haven't quite transitioned to match-three yet).

I feel like the DOTA clone period is over now and we settled on MOBA. It might not make a lot sense, but a lot of genre titles don't make a whole lot of sense. Everyone knows you don't do much Roleplaying in most JRPGs and an Adventure Game should theoretically be basically every game with a story ever made right instead of only Point and Click style explore-and-talk games?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Lhianon said:
BrotherRool said:

you have to consider that blizzard pretty much diregarded the existing warcraft lore during Wrath of the Lichking and Cataclysm, driving many people that played warcraft from the begining away (for instance: ashenvale becomes horde territory during cata; if you go by warcraft 3 and vanilla wow lore, the nightelves and tauren should have left the horde/alliance at that point and formed a third faction with the circle of cenarius to push the orcs out of the sacred woods of the druids). so logically, now they have to push the new characters in the hope that hype = well written characters.

on topic: nothing new there, most of this was datamined allready, and blizzard has a long tradition of making idiotic april fools jokes a reality (a pandaria expansion with a pet-arena system was an april fools joke during WoW: the burning crusade)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this isn't even remotely part of their consideration. The WoW established lore just does not care enough about things like Ashenvale. Yeah, it's real shit that they would defile the forest as they did, but it's not exactly priority #1.

That and toward the end of Cata the writing was just sub-par in general, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. It's enough to follow while killing teh monstuhz, which is better than most games. Thrall just needs his hammer back and to stop being shamjesus. God damn Metzen.

(Oh and, the April Fool's joke for Pandaren was in WC3 originally(which is why we got the totally rad Chen Stormstout/Brewmaster), if we're going to see any implications for implementation of their jokes. It's not like they're new in any significant way :p)

The reason they push WoW characters is because it's still their largest playerbase. They don't need hype from their other game that uses all the universes. I'm sure it'd be nice for them to get people out of it, but I doubt it's even remotely what the plan back at home is.

OT:
Looks nice. If only I had any way to celebrate all these new h-- GIVE ME YOUR ACCESS KEY YA DAMN BLIZZARD. WHAT THE HELL IS A "TECHNICAL ALPHA" ANYWAY. O_O

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
LiLi?

eeeeeh

Please blizzard, I do like MoP and Lili, but don't waste space on almost irrelevant characters.

I guess the same can be said about brightwing, but atleast faerie dragons are fighters.

@BrotherRool

Considering MOBA is a absolutely terrible name, I don't think dota-like is that bad, even if it's certainly old school.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
BrotherRool said:
teebeeohh said:
A cool, it's puck.
BrotherRool said:

That's how genre names are formed though. We went through a period of calling games 'Doom clones' and then we eventually settled on FPS, we went through a period of time calling games 'GTA clones' and then eventually settled on calling them open-world sandbox games. We've had 'Temple Run clones' become infinite runners, Bejewelled clones become match-three (although I'd say we haven't quite transitioned to match-three yet).

I feel like the DOTA clone period is over now and we settled on MOBA. It might not make a lot sense, but a lot of genre titles don't make a whole lot of sense. Everyone knows you don't do much Roleplaying in most JRPGs and an Adventure Game should theoretically be basically every game with a story ever made right instead of only Point and Click style explore-and-talk games?
MOBA just feels so forced, somebody at riot sat down and came up with a term that vaguely describes that game and at the same time is as catchy as DOTA. it's like they wanted to accelerate the natural process of how genres get their names and that just makes it weird, it feels like we just replaced DOTA-clone with lol#clone and just use a different word.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
teebeeohh said:
MOBA just feels so forced, somebody at riot sat down and came up with a term that vaguely describes that game and at the same time is as catchy as DOTA. it's like they wanted to accelerate the natural process of how genres get their names and that just makes it weird, it feels like we just replaced DOTA-clone with lol#clone and just use a different word.
It feels fine to me, Heroes of the Storm is exactly the right sort of timing for a genre to lose it's 'and clone' name. It's the weirder game that clearly shares the same roots but has completely different sensibilities. Aeon of Strife was the 'Body Harvest', the inventor that no-one cared about. Defence of the Ancients was Grand Theft Auto 3. Heroes of Newerth was Saints Row 1, the clone that never quite makes it. League of Legends was Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

DotA 2 is a bit trickier because I can't think of a Grand Theft Auto clone during the San Andreas period that was successful. (I also can't think of many examples of a company just taking someones name and pushing out a game.)

But then Heroes of the Swarm is definitely Saints Row 2, the game which seems like a clone but is so clearly establishing the genre as a genre in it's own right because it does so many things differently.

So maybe we're one beta release early thanks to LoL's marketing team but MOBA has 16 million hits, it's own wikipedia page is what all the games who didn't buy up IP rights to a 12 year old mod call themselves. It's the name of the genre

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Anyone have any information about this game's payment-system? Is it going to be a F2P game along the lines of Smite or LoL? Or do you have to buy it like DOTA2?

Yes, I know it's in Beta right now, I'm just curious what the deal's going to be once it's gets out on the market. :p

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Anyone have any information about this game's payment-system? Is it going to be a F2P game along the lines of Smite or LoL? Or do you have to buy it like DOTA2?

Yes, I know it's in Beta right now, I'm just curious what the deal's going to be once it's gets out on the market. :p
Currently it's using the Smite/LoL payment style. Earn resource through play, purchase heroes with resource, free rotation.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
RJ 17 said:

What do you mean like Dota 2? I think you're confused. Dota 2 is F2P with all heroes unlocked, you only pay for cosmetics. It's very widely regarded as one of the best F2P systems in a game.

bowandsword

Mar 30, 2011
BrotherRool said:
teebeeohh said:
DotA 2 is a bit trickier because I can't think of a Grand Theft Auto clone during the San Andreas period that was successful. (I also can't think of many examples of a company just taking someones name and pushing out a game.)
I think its more of the case of a hd remake then a new game. So like the halo 1 anniversary I guess