Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
OnLive Cuts CloudLift Subscription Price In Half

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I would consider it. I could definitely see myself thoroughly enjoying some Sonic Generations on my netbook.

P.S. Thanks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It'd be cool to be able to stream stuff, but I'm not sure cool enough even for eight bucks. Eight bucks is a couple more games a month, TBH.

So it's enough to make me consider it, but maybe not to make me shell out.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'd really like to hear more about how this actually works. It sounds good on paper but how is it in real life?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I'd really like to hear more about how this actually works. It sounds good on paper but how is it in real life?
I can't speak to this particular service, but I did try some Gaikai EA demos a few years back (it was my entire PC gaming regimen for a few weeks when my GPU broke). Honestly, it really depends on the game. The input lag is enough to ruin racing games, twitch shooters, or anything else that relies on really low input latency, but some less reflex-based games work nicely enough. Probably enough for most third-person shooters, stealth games, and way more than enough for Civ V.

P.S. Thanks

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Onlive is a very good idea on paper. In practice its biggest flaw is that publishers are being dicks and do not agree with their games being on the service (sigh, another Netflix not having acess to movies all over again) and the services suffer for it, because basically i find nothing i want to play on there. In practice its good for people that want to play those games but rather not want to buy the hardware needed. If good games were on it it may even end up cheaper in the long run provided you pay for games at non-steam prices.

Andy Chalk said:
In practice it works like MMOs controlling the game engine on server side, except for everything. your connection quality (not speed) is the most important factor to determine how much lag your going to get. and you are going to get some. and while in some games its not a big problem (a half second reaction delay on games like civilization would hardly be a problem) in something that requires reaction its frustrating. and its so for same reason that cloud computing are not going to work either. internet cannot defy physics. light only moves so fast in the fiber optics.