Realistic Mario Gets a Concussion, Luigi Breaks His Neck in Video

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Realistic Mario Gets a Concussion, Luigi Breaks His Neck in Video

Mario and Luigi run into the laws of physics in this spoof courtesy of The Pete Holmes Show.

You have to have the suspension of disbelief on your side for many video games to work, especially platformers. But what would happen if someone like Mario ran into real-world physics?

Welcome to Realistic Mario, courtesy of the Pete Holmes Show [http://peteholmes.com/], which airs on TBS. If anything, it offers an amusing take on the game, and opens up a world of other possibilities for fun videos.

So enjoy the nuttiness.

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
I guess the guys who write this crap don't realize that Mario actually hits the blocks with his fist. So not only is this painfully unfunny, it's not even "realistic"

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
McGuinty1 said:
I guess the guys who write this crap don't realize that Mario actually hits the blocks with his fist. So not only is this painfully unfunny, it's not even "realistic"
pretty much what I was going to say. This joke is about 15 years too late.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
And if they were using real physics is it even possible for him to jump high enough to slam his head into it? Aside from the surety its not possible for brick cubes to just float in mid air anyway.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Meh, just another late night host that tries to plays on the nerd/geek culture without ever appealing to them. It's basically for an audience who has just a barebones knowledge of the nerd/geek culture when it spills over into mainstream. This isn't for us.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Raziel said:
And if they were using real physics is it even possible for him to jump high enough to slam his head into it? Aside from the surety its not possible for brick cubes to just float in mid air anyway.
These were more my thoughts. You know it's funny, the physics of the Mario universe actually becomes more realistic the further back you go. Super Mario Bros actually had a momentum system, and in Donkey Kong you couldn't control your fall mid jump and died if you fell too far. It wasn't exactly what I would call 'fun' but it was fairly realistic compared to today where Mario reaches top speed almost instantly, can jump several times his body height, and can somehow control his decent. Mario is the rare example of a franchise that has been progressively moving AWAY from realism as time goes on.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Lol, that was quite well done!

"But what would happen if someone like Mario ran into real-world physics?"
Well, I doubt they could hit that block, it's like over a meter in the air.
Also, in real world physics massive brick blocks DO NOT FLOAT.

So, real world anatomy might be closer than physics.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
HAAHAHAHA!!! THAT'S SO ORIGINAL!! I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN ANY VARIATIONS OF THIS JOKE BEFORE!!!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I thought it was pretty funny. I kind of expected it to be a bit more grim based upon the description, but it did make me laugh, so thanks for that.

Feb 9, 2011
McGuinty1 said:
Yep. All I got from this thread was disappointment. :<

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Why do comedians ruin things? And even the ones who don't, end up ruining things because they end up dying of horrible diseases (like old age).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I legit found it funny. Some people are far too critical. I met a guy going to a live stand-up, front row seat like me, making it pretty much obvious that he hated the guy. Why would you go? Why would you spend money or bother paying attention simply to be vexed? I will never understand what goes on in the heads of some people.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Rednog said:
Meh, just another late night host that tries to plays on the nerd/geek culture without ever appealing to them. It's basically for an audience who has just a barebones knowledge of the nerd/geek culture when it spills over into mainstream. This isn't for us.
Pete Holmes does a lot of video game/comic humor. He is a nerd.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Jeez guys, really? I thought it was alright. Yeah, it dragged a little, but not everything needs to be 100% accurate to be funny.

Besides, I thought Mario used his noggin in the original games through World anyway, so I get where the train of thought came from.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I would have liked it better if it wasn't so ear-grating at times. It dragged for a bit too long for my tastes

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I chuckled at, "I heard-ah the snap!"

But...that's about it. :/ Most of it was somewhat grating.

Hope Mr. Holmes show has a bit more 'oomph' to it's comedy than this little bite did.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Amusing, but EVERYONE has made this joke already. Hell, Dorkly has nine different variants of this joke that are far funnier. It was still funny, these aren't exactly uncharted waters.