Escape From XP Lets Players Gun Down, Nuke, the Outdated OS

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Escape From XP Lets Players Gun Down, Nuke, the Outdated OS

The online game, presented by Internet Explorer, has players making a last stand amid a wasteland of old Explorer browser windows.

As most of you are probably aware, Microsoft announced it was ending all support for Windows XP this week, looking instead to focus on its newer operating systems. But what about those left behind? Those stuck in the past? Those who have yet to ... Escape From XP!

For them, Internet Explorer has put together a short but clever flash game which plays out like a 2D twin-stick shooter. Players control the final developer for Internet Explorer 6, fighting the good fight against flaming Recycle Bins and laser-equipped Explorer icons for as long as their health lasts. Looming in the background, gazing upon the blasted landscape like some sinister god, is none other than the Office Helper paperclip himself.

The main goal is to rack up as high a score as you can, since no matter how hard you try you wont' be able to stop XP from going up in flames, much like the operating system itself. As if to drive the point home, at the conclusion of Escape From XP players get the chance to push a big red button, nuking the last remnants of the OS. Give the game a try at the link below.

Source: <a href=http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#escape-from-xp>www.Modern.ie

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Nuke the operating system I'm using? Sounds interesting, I'll put a review here when I finish.

edit: an interesting idea with a nice art style but only 2 weapons and a short life expectancy mean this is a 5 minute time killer, worth one play through and no more.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
Nuke the operating system I'm using? Sounds interesting, I'll put a review here when I finish.

edit: an interesting idea with a nice art style but only 2 weapons and a short life expectancy mean this is a 5 minute time killer, worth one play through and no more.

if you are still using xp you should seriously consider switching, people have been waiting for this to happen so they can start using exploits that microsoft never fixed

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
heroicbob said:
Xan Krieger said:

if you are still using xp you should seriously consider switching, people have been waiting for this to happen so they can start using exploits that microsoft never fixed
Alternatively since this is my gaming computer I should stay offline on it and switch to my laptop which uses windows vista so I can go online.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
SonofaJohannes said:
Even more reason to hate Internet Explorer, I freaking loved XP.
I find the statement confusing. Your OS and your browser are only marginally connected to each other. Getting mad at Explorer for a flash game about killing XP is like blaming Newgrounds for any of the games therein when it was created by someone specific.

Best to keep things in perspective. I liked XP well enough, but it's a game, and could be entertaining.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Honestly I preferred win2k pro over XP, the interface was cleaner and they were not hiding settings quite as much. XP started hiding settings and now with win 8 the vast majority are hidden. XP was a solid OS and I think Win7 is just as good.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I have Windows XP and Windows 8.1 on my PC. (Installed to their own hard drives when the other was unplugged. I bloody hate the boot loaders Windows installs.)

Most of the time I do end up back in XP because 8.1 has this weird fetish for ignoring some video files, it just wont let my 360 see them. Boot into XP and the console picks them up without issue.

Also I've not updated XP since service pack 2. yet I've never been 'hacked', never had a virus, pretty sure no-one has stolen my identity (might have tried and thought "bloody hell, who wants to be this guy.")

I can't help but feel the "hackers are going to take over your computer with saved up exploits" is somewhat exaggerated. If they haven't done it since 2004 (when I installed SP2), I don't think they are suddenly going to do it now.

That being said I am liking 8.1 more and more, the updates have made it pretty good for desktop users now. If I could sort out the damn streaming issue, might just install PS3 Media Server and have done with it, I'd be using it full time.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ironically, i played this on a machine running XP windows, because at work we have a multutude of variuso windows and office versions and its annoying when things become incompatible. i do hope they would upgrade it to 7 just so we would all be compatible. already upgraded office to 2010 in my room except for me which runs 2007, now it also seems everyone is slowly upgrading to 7.