Best of Cosplay At PAX East 2014 - Day 1

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Best of Cosplay At PAX East 2014 - Day 1

Enjoy the best cosplay we saw during our first day at PAX East 2014!

Read Full Article

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
#5 is Link and Aryll from Wind Waker. Given that there's quite a bit of notable LoZ cosplay this year.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
6 is definitely from Warhammer, probably the fantasy version. The icons hanging from the staff gave it away to me. Sadly I'm not too familiar with the fantasy version but he looks to be some kind of sorcerer serving the dark gods (except Khorne because Khorne does not approve of magic, his icon was absent from the staff).

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
6 is definitely from Warhammer, probably the fantasy version. The icons hanging from the staff gave it away to me. Sadly I'm not too familiar with the fantasy version but he looks to be some kind of sorcerer serving the dark gods (except Khorne because Khorne does not approve of magic, his icon was absent from the staff).
A Chaos Cultist/Sorcerer does not seem to be a specific charackter, though.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
It could go either way between 40k and Fantasy, without something like a power weapon or las-pistol you could make an argument for either setting.

I would say he would be a Chaos Undivided cultist, the 8 pointed star is repeated on the staff and on his necklace pendent.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Symbio Joe said:
Xan Krieger said:
A Chaos Cultist/Sorcerer does not seem to be a specific charackter, though.
Nor is a Space Marine xP

These are neat! So much league now-a-days.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Xan Krieger said:
It could go either way between 40k and Fantasy, without something like a power weapon or las-pistol you could make an argument for either setting.

I would say he would be a Chaos Undivided cultist, the 8 pointed star is repeated on the staff and on his necklace pendent.
So we don't have to keep going back to the article
He looks too proper to be some mere cultist, he certainly looks like he knows a little magic. Looks like someone who would bring the pain straight from the warp.

All that said we have at least narrowed it down to Warhammer serving the chaos gods, anything more than that can't really be determined from the picture.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Xan Krieger said:
He looks too proper to be some mere cultist, he certainly looks like he knows a little magic.
He does, but... Sorcerors in both systems tend to parade around in heavy armor, while cultists do not.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Kind of getting sick of all the League of Legends cosplay. Props to the talented artists behind the game, and equal props to the talented cosplayers that fabricate the costumes, but over-saturation is still over-saturation.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Pyrian said:
Xan Krieger said:
He looks too proper to be some mere cultist, he certainly looks like he knows a little magic.
He does, but... Sorcerors in both systems tend to parade around in heavy armor, while cultists do not.
They do that in Warhammer fantasy? Sorry, my knowledge of the fantasy version is just a few pictures of the models, I've never read about it or played it. W40K on the other hand, well I'm used to grinding up cultists with the treads of my armored regiments and they always looked too ragged compared to that guy.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Are you sure #5 isn't from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? The rolled up pants, floppy hair and the carrying on the back? Come on, it's got to be!

Oh and #9 immediately made me think of the monster in Amnesia. Something about the mouth and skin tone.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Are you sure #5 isn't from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? The rolled up pants, floppy hair and the carrying on the back? Come on, it's got to be!

Oh and #9 immediately made me think of the monster in Amnesia. Something about the mouth and skin tone.
Nope. They girl he is carrying is dressed as Aryll for starters, and the shirt is Link's Pajama shirt in Wind Waker.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Hastln said:
I know that Lux cosplayer, its good to see her get some credit.
Tell'r that some random creep guy on the internet gives he a props for the great cosplay and that she's actually cuter than the ingame Lux.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The thing is, Morrigan from Dark Stalkers isn't really "evil". As I understand the storyline she's more aloof and, dare I say, "whimsical". Her theme song should be "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" as she'd much rather explore the wonders and fun of the Human World than deal with the day-to-day minutia of being the Queen of the Demon World. :p

Awwww, apparently Captcha isn't into cos-play: "Fashion Victim" :p

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
*Scrolls to page 6*

.. Huh. That wizard looks a lot like Matt from Two Best Friends Play. Still, cool outfit.

*Scrolls to page 7*

That dude looks like Pat- HEY WAIT A SECOND. Is this some sort of coincidence or something? Two guys that looks exactly like Matt and Pat, next to each other when scrolling pages. I would be so surprised if it was them.

OT: I am so jealous of the Warhammer cosplayer. I want to cosplay where it'll make everyone super jelly.
I too thought the sorcerer look liked Matt, but only in the face. TBF are shorter and fatter than the cosplayers shown here, and as for the ghost busters guy? He has way too much hair on his head to be Pat.

...man, reading that back sounds like I'm dissing them super hard, but I really do love those guys.

And yeah, good 40K cosplay looks awesome (mostly because I really like 40K in general).

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Nobody going to mention that... Chaos(?) Space Marine in the first picture? I'm not the biggest fan of 40K but holy hell that armour looks legit as fuck.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Pyrian said:
Xan Krieger said:
They do that in Warhammer fantasy? Sorry, my knowledge of the fantasy version is just a few pictures of the models, I've never read about it or played it. W40K on the other hand, well I'm used to grinding up cultists with the treads of my armored regiments and they always looked too ragged compared to that guy.
Well sort of, the 40k universe at large is home to many plumes of peacocks and turkeys. In the table-top every cultist is gonna be frothing at the mouth and wearing as many spikes/skulls/Chaos Icon's/ragged robes/etc as the sculptor can cram in. However in books and the Pen and Paper; Cultist often don't want to be found. So of course they hide in plain sight, or in underground meeting halls. This is the guy that you would expect to find at the head of such a cult.

Of course the best way to look at it is that the Imperium doesn't drop tanks onto every bit of "suspected cult activity". So this guy is most likely closer to the everyday sight for the Arbites, or the Inquisitor. If things escalated to the point of the PDF having problems (or in some cases becoming part of the problem) then it it likely you'll get Space Marines, Imperial Guard regiments, Inquisition's Chamber Militant, Sisters of Battle, Dead Imperial Fists, and the like entering the fight. I imagine by that time if this guy is still alive his robe would have become quite tattered and caked in blood, corposant streaming from his mouth, and would probably be surrounded by people wearing as many spikes/skulls/Chaos Icon's/ragged robes/etc as they could cram onto themeselves.

Atomic Spy Crab

Mar 28, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
Its a Slaaneshi sorcerer. I know that sign anywhere.