Shirtless Korean Nazi Videogame Promotion

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shirtless Korean Nazi Videogame Promotion

What would you do if I told you that shirtless Korean Nazis were out in force to promote a new World War Two-based MMOG? You'd click the link to find out more!

Wikipedia [http://www.karma2.co.kr/Main/HomeMain.aspx], at least) MMOFPS to appear in South Korea. The game takes place in the year 1950 of an alternate timeline, in which Germany has conquered all of Europe and is now squaring off for an epic throw-down with the Soviet Union.

To promote the game, which was developed by Blueside [http://www.dragonflygame.co.kr/] and distributed by Dragonfly, someone decided it would be a good idea to have a live public exhibition with a Second World War motif. All fine and dandy, until the half-naked dudes in Nazi regalia showed up and started throwing the ol' Heil Hitler.

The whole thing seems intensely surreal. Why aren't these guys wearing shirts? Why are they holding an outdoor beefcake show in the middle of winter? And who in God's name decided that marching around in Wehrmacht uniforms and giving the Nazi salute was a good way to promote a videogame?

According to MMOsite.com [http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-01-20/20090120194420653,1.shtml], people started joining in to take photos once they realized it was a game promotion. Japan, not Germany, is Korea's traditional Second World War bugbear, so maybe this kind of thing isn't weird over there. But it sure looks mighty iffy in this part of the world.

via: GameCulture [http://www.gameculture.com/node/1043]

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I couldn't stop laughing while reading this article.

Why are they holding an outdoor beefcake show in the middle of winter? And who in God's name decided that marching around in Wehrmacht uniforms and giving the Nazi salute was a good way to promote a videogame?
Priceless. Hmm look, buff Korean Nazis. I think I Will buy that game.

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
Koreans are so...weird. They hate the Japanese but celebrate dressed up like Nazis? Oh well not to mention some of them are doing the salute completely wrong.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Oh god.

ANOTHER WWII GAME?

Yes, that is more depressing to me than shirtless Nazi's wandering around.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Oh my god... that's horrible yet awesome, all at once. I can't decide whether I should laugh or just groan in annoyance. I'll probably do both.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
What the fuck?
Seriously, what the hell is up with that?!>!?! I may be jewish, but I could not stop laughing at this article. Those Krazy Koreans.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
them Nazis are rocking some pretty tight abbs. Cept the one on the far right (stage left). Id hate to be the tubby one at a beefcake contest :-D

Also pic reminds me more of Springtime for Hitler than anything more sinister

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Well praise Karma there are no Korean Jews.
You shouldn't say that because it is probably false, at least 1 person in one of the Korea's must be Jewish, or maybe someone that was born there, moved out of that Country and converted.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Oh, right. Koreans are fine with Nazis because they were all the way across the world. Didn't touch them. I bet if someone tried to pull the same thing but with WW2-era Japanese military uniforms instead of Wehremacht uniforms, the Koreans would freak out. Japan fucked Korea over pretty good back then, and I don't think they'd take it as lightly.

The sad thing is that this is probably true, a case of ignorance. I don't think the Koreans realize what the Nazis represented and why it's so wrong to have a bunch of them in uniform marching around giving the Nazi salute (but why shirtless?). I'm not particularly offended though, but as I said, doing the same thing replacing Japanese with Nazis would hit a lot closer to home to the Koreans. I bet they never even thought about the connection.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
If it was North Korea I wouldn't be surprised (anyone who's seen Team America: World Police will understand), because they are just messed up thanks to their leader. But South Korea? They have just lost all respect I had for them (which was actually a fair amount mainly due to their spawning two great actors, both of whom appear in LOST, no pun intended).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The Koreans are, without a doubt, the most hardcore country of gamers.

Metonym

Jan 21, 2008
They seem to be out of touch with sanity as well as their grasp of history, that they seem to treat like just another anime (not rare among peddlers). But to pair that with bad taste to push a MMOG (FPS)is outlandish.

Someone in marketing has a fetish for WWII regalia or think that the presumed target demographic has.

Main problem with this "spectacle" is that it should have been shirtless GIRLS, otherwise de rigeur in the gaming scene, not scrawny Korean boys.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
Oh my god... that's horrible yet awesome, all at once. I can't decide whether I should laugh or just groan in annoyance. I'll probably do both.
Indeed - its like a some sort of horrible accident with an insanely humourous irony in it.