This Cardboard Iron Man Suit Sets The Standard for Economical Cosplay

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
This Cardboard Iron Man Suit Sets The Standard for Economical Cosplay

Kai-Xiang Xhong, a Taiwanese artist, created an Iron Man suit entirely from cardboard boxes.

Cardboard is a commonly used material for budget-minded cosplayers, but Kai-Xiang Xhong, an art student at the Stan Winston School of Character Arts in Taiwan, has taken cardboard to a whole new level. His newly minted Iron Man suit will remind you that your handmade Halloween costume sucked.

"Tony Stark's suit cost almost one billion dollars," Xhong said in a video on the Stan Winston School website [https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/cardboard-iron-man]. "But mine cost almost zero."

Xhong spent nearly a year completing his Iron Man suit, working only in his free time.
Every single notch and corner has been intricately molded into a life-sized sculpture that would make Robert Downey Jr. proud.

"For my cardboard Iron Man suit, I used pepakura technique," he explained. "But I did not add any special color on the surface. Keeping the cardboard color and texture was deliberate. That's my style."

Pepakura, for those of you who may not be paper crafting experts, is a folding technique that allows heavy-gauged paper to be fashioned into a three dimensional model. The finished pieces often have an angular, polygonal look, but some of Xhong's sculptures are so lifelike, that they've been mistaken for real animals.

If you don't believe me, check out the gallery below.

Source: Kai-Xiang Xhong on Facebook [https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/cardboard-iron-man]

[gallery=2337]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
That is the most amazing thing I can recall having seen all week. I thought the bearded dragon and the sparrow were real for a minute.

Holy damn.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Fuck man these are brilliant. I'd actually pay money for these fine pieces of cardboard.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Pfft... LoadingReadyRun did it in 2008... ;)

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lJzetYuhK4]

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
It cost almost nothing, just a year of his time! Lucky for him, time costs nothing!

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
So rather then making a suit from a box of scraps, this guy makes a suit from the scraps of a box. I like this guys style.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Just in case you ever thought you had some form of talent.

People like this come along and knock you off your ill-formed mini-perch.

Welcome back to the masses of mediocrity people, enjoy your stay!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
That's fantastic work. Looking at his other work I'm betting he's got quite a future in art ahead of him as an actual lucrative career and that's not something many artists can say.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Rawbeard said:
It cost almost nothing, just a year of his time! Lucky for him, time costs nothing!
Exactly. I'd rather fork over more cash in order to save the ludicrous amount of time and effort needed to put into this and get it at this level of quality.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Ubiquitous Duck said:

You're one to talk Danbo. >_>

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
scorptatious said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:

You're one to talk Danbo. >_>
What? I'm welcoming people back, that means I'm already here - I never even left.

I am well aware of my own mediocrity.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm fairly sure the 'bearded dragon' he made is a Tuatara, a reptile native to New Zealand. If it wasn't for the unusually thin back I would have thought it was real haha.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Nowhere Man said:
So rather then making a suit from a box of scraps, this guy makes a suit from the scraps of a box. I like this guys style.
And I like YOUR style, sir, with your excellent punnery.
Seriously though, that is exceptionally awesome. Both the suit and the pun.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Holy crap, this guy has some amazing work. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to just quit my job and go hide in a cave forever.