DC's Native American Crime Noir Scalped To Get TV Series

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DC's Native American Crime Noir Scalped To Get TV Series

The 60-issue Vertigo series has been picked up by cable's WGN America.

Back in 2007 writer-artist team Jason Aaron and R.M. Guéra brought their fictional Prairie Rose Indian Reservation to life, and peopled it with any number of crooks, sinners, dodgy politicians and one crime-fighting undercover F.B.I. agent: series hero Dashiell Bad Horse. It enjoyed a 60 issue run and the love of its hard-core fans, and now it's about to go one step further, onto the small screen. Cable network WGN America has picked up the Vertigo series, with Doug Jung [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1136647/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1], currently working on small town crime series Banshee, as scriptwriter and producer.

"It's not a series that's ever going to sell 100,000 copies a month in the direct market," said writer John Constantine's cigarettes [http://www.newsarama.com/1313-jason-aaron-sticking-with-scalped.html], there may be elements of Scalped that won't play well with the cable bosses.

DC's been busy of late. Scalped joins Constantine, iZombie, Hourman, Preacher, and Gotham in its soon-to-be-televised lineup. Development is a relatively new thing for Chicago-based WGN, which until recently didn't have an original series of its own. Here's hoping WGN manages something special with Scalped.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/wgn-america-adapting-dc-comics-696035]

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
Calling that that no actual Native Americans will be cast into any lead roles.
I hope someone has learned from the Shitstorm around Lone Ranger. Yeah I know it was a terrible movie, and that wasn't the only problem but still.. :)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
while the VERTIGO imprint is owned by DC I feel like it would be more accurate to say the "VERTIGO" series since its not in the DCU....Preacher is another vertigo title that could possibly get a TV series (still I suppose DC is more familiar)

I've heard of this but never looked into it as it seemed too "real" for my tastes

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Wonder if it will be anything like Izombie: Buy the name, keep a female zombie in it, change everything else.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Oh boy!

Been a fan for a long time of Scalped. I sure do hope they can REALLY stick to the comic on this one, for story, for characters, all of it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...Well there's a series of words I'd never thought would get put together. I think I'm at the very least gonna give this a look. Hope they actually get Native American actors.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
ticklefist said:
Wonder if it will be anything like Izombie: Buy the name, keep a female zombie in it, change everything else.
Eugh. When I read the details around that I mentally threw up in my mouth. There's a perfectly great story there ripe for the taking, why ignore it?