DC Plans To Turn Nightwing Into A Secret Agent

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
DC Plans To Turn Nightwing Into A Secret Agent

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I bet this won't S.H.I.E.L.D. DC Comics from follow-the-leader criticisms.

DC Comics has for the last three years been taking a trip down the open road with someone half its age in the convertible it bought on its 45th birthday, or as we know it, The New 52. Now it seems the publisher plans to get hair implants and add spinning rims to that convertible, at least judging by the news that Dick Grayson, the original Robin-turned-Nightwing, will soon be reinvented as a covert spy in the upcoming spy/thriller themed comic series Grayson, written by Tim Seeley and Tom King.

Grayson will pick up where the character's current comic series, Nightwing, will leave off when it concludes this May: Dick Grayson, his identity as Nightwing exposed and his enemies onto him, is seemingly murdered, but he actually faked his death. He is then convinced by Batman to let everyone, including other members of the Bat-Family of characters, continue think he's dead so that he can operate in the shadows as part of the covert intelligence agency SPYRAL (first introduced in Batman Incorporated).

The series is apparently going to be played for 24-like drama, at least they way it's described by the series' cocreators. Dick Grayson will not only have to deal with the pain of letting his loved ones think he's dead, he'll also have to deal with working for an organization "out of his comfort zone." SPYRAL, you see, is yet another intelligence agency with a swank acronym and a commitment to stopping bad guys by employing methods and tactics that are questionable at best.

This could work of course, as the DC Universe could use some shaking up (even if it has to happen under the New 52 banner.) Given how relatively underdeveloped Dick Grayson is - Nightwing has never been much more than NotBatman in Bludhaven, or NotBatman in New York, or NotBatman in Gotham City - the character might be a perfect fit to inject some James Bond style action into DC. They'll at least finally be giving him his own arch enemy with the new series. And let's be honest: whatever your politics, 24 was a fantastic hour of television for most of its run. Further, at least the creators seem like they're thinking big. Their plan is for every issue to be an event people want to discuss, and cowriter Tom King specifically compared it to FX's The Americans.

The wild card King who, at least according to his official bio*, left the comics industry after 9/11 to work as a "counterterrorism operations officer" for the CIA, and that purported experience will apparently inform Grayson. Whether that means Grayson will examine hard-won lessons from a decade of bad practices, or just offer up uncritical support for Jack Bauer's ethics, remains to be seen. Here's hoping Dick Grayson doesn't stop whatever he's doing to at least once an issue to explain to the reader why warrantless wiretapping of anyone is a good and noble thing, amirite?

But I'm less bothered by the potential for the series becoming a throwback to the early 00s, and more by the obvious fact that anyone who's been to a movie in the last few years will immediately find all of this very, very familiar. DC, it seems, is chasing after Marvel, first via the introduction of its very own version of SHIELD, complete with moral ambiguity, and second with a longstanding hero forced to go underground in order to do the right thing, however it's defined in this series anyway. They've even gone so far as to make Dick look suspiciously similar to Grant Ward from Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. Grayson is going to have say more than "ME TOO, ME TOO GUYS!" or it's going to land with a thud.

Of course I'm going to check this series out as soon as it's released, if only to find out how much of my cynicism is justified. But what about you, readers? Does this look like a classic in the making, a throwback to 2003, or a follow-the-leader race to the bottom middle? Sound off in comments.

Grayson's first issue will be released July 2.

Via USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/04/14/grayson-comic-book-series/7480853/].

* Naturally, the only publicly available information that confirms King's CIA employment is his official author bio. Forgive me if I remain skeptical of the length of nature of said employment until more information is available.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
A Bat-family member other than Jason Todd or Alfred carrying a gun? Yeah, that won't upset anybody.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
I kinda have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I'm worried that this will take the character completely off track, but on the other I really liked the Nightwing run where he was a cop. So I guess I'm reserving judgement on this one.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nah, that's no good. I'm thinking 'Dick Grayson, Attorney-At-Law'. He gets justice done above and beyond the bar!

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Nah, that's no good. I'm thinking 'Dick Grayson, Attorney-At-Law'. He gets justice done above and beyond the bar!
That would actually be pretty cool.

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
Dick Grayson as a secret agent is stupid. If Burn Notice had one thing to say about being a spy, it is being a spy is about lying. Dick Grayson is a terrible liar! His method for maintaining his secret identity was to make up some implausible lie on the spot and then go "golly gee, I really didn't expect that to work". I am not saying he is a bad character for that; I love him. He just doesn't fit a secret agent role and there is no way that this work out without compromising the character, although Nu52 has about a 50% chance of having done that already (I didn't read any of it).

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I dunno, Checkmate seemed more like a SHIELD style organisation to me...

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
synobal said:
FalloutJack said:
That would actually be pretty cool.
I won't say it was my own idea, though. I was thinking of Harvey Birdman, of course, as well as...

how well it worked for Tiger & Bunny, Lunatic being an important legal figure who kills perps for vigilante justice.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Wait... So they're expecting us to believe Batman is ok with Grayson turning into a super spy with a gun and "doing what needs to be done"? They really expect us to believe Batman is ok with guns, killing, and supper shady spy tactics? I haven't seen the Batman cannon in a while but that is... odd.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
DC needs a serious management revamp, more so than Ninty. They obviously can't do their IPs any justice anymore. Their only really good moves in nearly a decade was giving Christopher Nolan the go ahead for 3 Batman movies and Blackest Night.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Practically speaking, wouldn't that just be like if Daredevil wasn't blind?

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Hmm... Spyral does not really sound that cool of an organization but I guess Shield worked out so maybe one day it will too. Dick Grayson being a secret agent does sound cool but why ditch the outfit or use guns. Couldn't they just give him the obligatory stealth suit where they tone done the red on his chest and have him team up with other ninja style heroes to fight in the shadows. If Young Justice can give stealth suits to Kid Flash then Nightwing should pull it off.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Fanghawk said:
FalloutJack said:
Practically speaking, wouldn't that just be like if Daredevil wasn't blind?
Good point. And yet...all I can think of is the rivalry story now.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
That sounds silly.

Sure, it could work with good writing, but most ideas can.
But why would he need to lie about his death to all his loved ones, especially the Bat-family? This isn't like some normal civilian being sucked into the spy game, so that cliche makes no sense in this context.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
RealRT said:
A Bat-family member other than Jason Todd or Alfred carrying a gun? Yeah, that won't upset anybody.
It's not that, as Dick has been a cop before it's the fact that DC have been mistreating Dick (pun intended) for years, Forever Evil is stupid because the universe isn't structured to where Nightwing's secret ID actually means anything, he doesn't have the enemies the friends or the status he once had to make this change legit let alone make sense.

I don't think the story aspect is bad per se it's just, at this time stupid. And how many secret organisations does DC need, half of them aren't even secret anymore. Plus if everyone (according to DC) knows who he is, why no mask now? Oh and faking his death without the Bat-family knowing isn't something Dick would do.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The whole New 52 is like DC looked at Marvel's "One More Day" with Spider-man and said, "that's brilliant! Let's do that with EVERYONE!"

Seeing Dick Grayson wielding a gun is like seeing Superman without the red underwear. It just does NOT look right.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
ccdohl said:
So if people know Nightwing's identity, how hard could it be to sniff out Batman's identity?

So this super hero who is connected to Batman has a rich adoptive father who is also built like a truck? Probably just a coincidence.
Well Bruce is publically known to fund Batman Inc but the public not then connecting the 4 Robins to bruce who just happened to be around the same age he took them in, requires some disbelief. Although not much.

See, neither Robin was with Bruce for a significant amount of time for anyone to really make any real connection beyond coincidence.

DC comic: No room to grow..