Spider-Man Producer Says No Marvel Crossovers Are Coming

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Spider-Man Producer Says No Marvel Crossovers Are Coming

"We don't need it yet," says longtime producer Avi Arad

The results, for the most part, have yet to start making serious development news, but Hollywood's new favorite gimmicks are crossovers and shared-universes; thanks to a rush to copy the success of Marvel Studios' mega-successful Avengers initiative. But don't expect to see Spider-Man going for any team-up gigs anytime soon - his producer is dead set against it.

"I think it will take a moment in which we've run out of ideas," Arad said in a recent interview with IGN, adding that "Peter Parker is unique; he's really different. He's not an Avenger. He's not an X-Man. He's unique and we revere that." Instead, Arad and Sony Pictures are concentrating on creating their own "universe" built exclusively within the Spider-Man mythos; with multiple sequels planned alongside spin-offs about The Sinister Six and Venom, among others.

Arad was part of the new leadership team that pulled Marvel Comics out of bankruptcy in the late-90s, and was at the forefront of creating the Marvel Studios movie brand with hits like X-Men and Sam Raimi's original Spider-Man. He resigned his positions with Marvel in 2006, shortly after the company struck the ambitious independent-financing deal that would eventually become The Marvel Cinematic Universe (he was still credited on the first Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk,) but remained a producer of the Sony-owned Spider-Man movies. He has been credited as a major force behind series-reshaping moves such as adding Venom to the cast of Spider-Man 3 (reportedly against the wishes of director Raimi) and the controversial 2010 decision to reboot the franchise entirely. In addition to Amazing Spider-Man, Arad's other post-Marvel projects have included Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Bratz: The Movie.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 debuts in the U.S. on May 2nd.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/16/what-would-it-take-for-spider-man-to-appear-in-the-avengers]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Sounds like this Arad guy is thrusting his manhood in the way of greatness to ruin everyone's good time.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
While a Spider-Man and Marvel cinematic universe crossover would be cool I am not that sad or angry if it doesn't happen. I would love to see an X-Men and Marvel cinematic universe crossover though.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
No surprises here, they want to keep their cash cow to themselves. Jerks.

Also, Spider Man 3 would have been a way better movie without Venom... or should I say, without shoe-horning Venom into an already complete story for the sake of fan service. I love Venom, but do you know what I love more? Good movies.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It could only work as a reboot of Spidey inside of the MCU. MCU movies are all connected and they reference each other often. Just putting the existing Spider-Man in the middle of it all would make no sense. But if his origins story were to happen in the MCU that could work. I'm kind of pissed that Marvel can't make a Spider-Man movie. Imagine how awesome that would be.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Wow. Sounds like Arad is behind all the bad decisions... making Spidey 3 a convoluted mess by adding Venom, rebooting a movie franchise that really didn't need it...

and those other movies are not exactly good either, now are they?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I think it's pretty much a unanimous conclusion that anyone holding a Marvel licence other than Marvel is a dickhole for doing so.

I haven't seen the new Spiderman and I will not see the sequel either because I do not want to encourage the holder to retain the franchise.

This extends to the Xmen films.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
NoeL said:
Also, Spider Man 3 would have been a way better movie without Venom... or should I say, without shoe-horning Venom into an already complete story for the sake of fan service.
Honestly, I think Venom actually works in Spider-Man 3 far better than Sandman does. Having Sandman be responsible for Uncle Ben's death means Peter wasn't, and therefore he has no reason to be Spider-Man. Take Sandman out of the movie and you have Peter and Harry wrestling with their dark sides via Venom and the New Goblin, and an ending which sees both of them rejecting that darkness without the extra complication of the Sandman. To my mind, that's a much better film.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Give it a few years and when the Spidey universe fails he will be begging to add spidey to the Avengers, even as a cameo. Funny thing from watching the S2 trailer is how brighter it is compared to the first movie. You would think they would all do deals and rent other characters from each other and thus would be advertisement for their own franchises. Spidey and Xmen are advertising in each other movies in May, which is dumb as its meaningless when their competitor has a movie in August with Guardians.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
This is about as chocking to me as the news, that Guardians of the Galaxy were going to be tying into the overall MCU, that was posted a few days ago.

I don't actually care if Spider Man was part of the MCU, I could go either way really.
The current Spider Man just do not fit though, it would be way too awkward to crowbar him into a largely tied together universe.

I don't want X-Men in there at all though. Maybe a few of them scattered around.
To me it would rob the heroes of their... uniqueness, I guess, if a billion mutants were also running around.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Abomination said:
I think it's pretty much a unanimous conclusion that anyone holding a Marvel licence other than Marvel is a dickhole for doing so.

I haven't seen the new Spiderman and I will not see the sequel either because I do not want to encourage the holder to retain the franchise.

This extends to the Xmen films.
You and me pal, for some reason I am kinda happy that Fox and Sony got the rights to Marvel's biggest characters and in doing so Marvel was forced to developed their( at the time ) B-list characters like say Iron Man and Thor and look where they are now.

The once underdog are now on top and everybody wants to be like them.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
In addition to Amazing Spider-Man, Arad's other post-Marvel projects have included Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Bratz: The Movie.
That's probably the most journalistic and impartial looking "fuck this guy" I've seen in a while. The whole last paragraph, but especially this.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I don't mind The Amazing Spiderman, and ill probably like the second (Huge Spiderman fanboy here and i love seeing the character on screen...apart from Spiderman 3...) but wow this guy is an arse.

Really hope Marvel gets him back soon, not to fussed with X-men as i never really paid attention to them.

Also, question...Do Marvel have Fantastic 4 back?

"from the studio that brought you Thor"?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
arc1991 said:
I don't mind The Amazing Spiderman, and ill probably like the second (Huge Spiderman fanboy here and i love seeing the character on screen...apart from Spiderman 3...) but wow this guy is an arse.

Really hope Marvel gets him back soon, not to fussed with X-men as i never really paid attention to them.

Also, question...Do Marvel have Fantastic 4 back?

"from the studio that brought you Thor"?
Nope.

Fox owns FF and will be rebooting the franchise as part of the existing X-men Universe soon, They've cast Kata Mara as Sue and Michael B. Jordan as Jonny which has pretty somewhat controversial (I'm game for it though)

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
My reaction to this whole article was a series of curses which would get me flagged...

Seriously, the pretentiousness astounds. I give no care to which universe (Fox or Marvel Studios) Sony would decide to ally with...they should just pick one already...

Barring that, and I've said this before, Sony should just start plugging in a few of their own IP's, which might fit in for such crosovers. Of course, this is assuming they are going for that particular angle, as Fox and WB seem to be. Right or wrong, admitted or not, each company seems to want their own version Avengers. If so, go for it, but do it the right way...

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Great...

Instead of putting spider man into a GOOD movie lets just keep milking him as the cash cow we have made him into...

*sigh*