DARPA Putting Special Forces on Stealth Dirt Bikes

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
DARPA Putting Special Forces on Stealth Dirt Bikes

With DARPA's newly-commissioned stealth dirt bikes, the enemy will never hear how rad you are.

The US pours a lot of money into military research, and the government's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) uses those funds to provide superior technology like drones, advanced software, and the best dirt bikes on the battlefield. Possibly the only dirt bikes on the battlefield, but still the best. A newly commissioned project will equip US special forces with hybrid, all-terrain bikes that don't sound like an earthquake on wheels.

The DARPA-issued grant goes to BRD Motorcycles, who will incorporate a specially-designed engine from Logos Technologies. "Quieted, all-wheel-drive capability at extended range in a lightweight, rugged, single-track vehicle could support the successful operations of U.S. expeditionary and special forces in extreme terrain conditions and contested environments," says Logos manager of advanced concepts Wade Pulliam. "With a growing need to operate small units far from logistical support, the military may increasingly rely on adaptable, efficient technologies like this hybrid-electric motorcycle."

All silliness aside, there are definitely plenty of uses for small, quiet transport like this in a warzone. With luck, we could see a variant of the stealth engine make its way to commercial bikes - sure, it can't be nearly as satisfying as the purr of a modern motorcycle, but everyone around you would probably appreciate the quiet.

Source: Geekologie [http://defensetech.org/2014/04/15/pentagon-wants-to-build-a-stealth-dirt-bike/]

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
It is kind of strange that bikes have never really been a common military thing, especially when it comes to scouting.

But I always assumed it was the helmet thing, because the designs of helmets for both kind of conflict, you don't want a helmet that blocks peripheral vision in a war zone and you want a shock absorbing helmet that will stop you from breaking you neck if you have an accident on a bike. And changing helmets in the middle of war zone is never a great idea.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Angelous Wang said:
It is kind of strange that bikes have never really been a common military thing, especially when it comes to scouting.

But I always assumed it was the helmet thing, because the designs of helmets for both kind of conflict, you don't want a helmet that blocks peripheral vision in a war zone and you want a shock absorbing helmet that will stop you from breaking you neck if you have an accident on a bike. And changing helmets in the middle of war zone is never a great idea.
Since modern combat helmets are already designed for shock absorption, it makes a dirt bike helmet rather useless. I'm kinda doubting helmet technology would have held back the implementation of dirt bikes in the field.

I am assuming that dirt bikes aren't used often is because they're extremely prone to breaking down. If you got sandy terrain, it's twice as bad. And there's also the problem of a loud bike blatantly giving away your position or singling you out. But, if you got a quiet, stealth bike that you could ditch halfway through a mission, it's probably a decent form of transportation.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
SourMilk said:
Seems like a waste of money. Then again, the modern day enemy that the U.S currently faces might as well be a Neanderthal.

If the U.S don't pick on anyone their own size any time soon then we'll be seeing investments where coffee can be drank without raising a decibel.
Wars may cause extreme leaps in technological advancement. But, we've already had thousands of Coilition Forces and civilian casualties since 2001, and Iraq has even more insurgent activity since the US troops left. We don't need another major conflict started. The world has seen enough and still suffers from them in many parts besides even the Middle East. This stealth bike will be for small operations like all the ones US has participated in since the formation of the Continental Army and only be used in open war if someone else is foolish enough to start saber rattlin'. (Putin and American Oil Tycoons, we're looking at you.)

The thing people forget is some of the R and D that goes into military and NASA projects eventually makes it back to civilian technology. This and moving towards other electric military vehicles might encourage many companies to work better and more efficient battery and electric motor tech. It might even give a boost to super capacitor research, so we won't be walking around with 2 or three lithium fire starters in our pockets sooner than scientists predicted. Maybe this thing's hybrid technology can make hybrid cars actually better for the environment than the currently better design traditional gasoline cars out there right now.

Plus since this for special forces roles, I doubt the military would order too many at once, as long as the stupid politicians don't get involved. And DARPA probably has a contract with the supplier to allow them to produce a cheaper civilian model, that I'm sure dirt bikers and trail riders will pick up, giving the suppliers more revenue streams.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
I'm pretty sure civilians speculating on military development is like, penguins speculating on Quantum Physics. Though it is fun to talk about stuff like this.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
SourMilk said:
Seems like a waste of money. Then again, the modern day enemy that the U.S currently faces might as well be a Neanderthal.

If the U.S don't pick on anyone their own size any time soon then we'll be seeing investments where coffee can be drank without raising a decibel.
It does make for some...interesting...jumping through hoops when it comes to the "writing" of modern military shooters and trying to portray the US military in a vulnerable and/or sympathetic light. That said I had heard about a military motorcycle a few years ago (don't know the outcome of the project) that impressed me more than this one. That project featured a cycle whose engine that could run on basically any combustible fluid.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Wait, isn't this basically all of what DARPA does? Crazy mil-tech?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Wait, isn't this basically all of what DARPA does? Crazy mil-tech?
That and making appearances in Metal Gear Solid, yes.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
SourMilk said:

It does make for some...interesting...jumping through hoops when it comes to the "writing" of modern military shooters and trying to portray the US military in a vulnerable and/or sympathetic light. That said I had heard about a military motorcycle a few years ago (don't know the outcome of the project) that impressed me more than this one. That project featured a cycle whose engine that could run on basically any combustible fluid.
I think you're referring to the Hayes Diversified Technology (HDT) M1030M1, which can run on diesel, JP8 (aviation fuel type), and biodiesel. Unsurprisingly, several hundred of this motorcycle have been ordered by the USMC.

Unfortunately, I think the only type of engine that can burn almost anything combustible is still the gas turbine, of which one type is used in the M1 Abrams. From what I understand, when it came to the original Abrams design, crews would idle the engine at high RPMs for responsiveness in battle, meaning it still burned a significant amount of fuel even when standing still. Fuel consumption was also an issue at slow speeds, but they've added different systems to raise the efficiency, which still wasn't much.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Pht! What good will all of that fancy tech do you when the zombies invade? Nothing! Real marines ride bikes, preferably with pink tassels!

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
EXTREEEEME stealth action!
This bodacious trickster is all you need to stealth behind enemy line and save the hostages!
Oh NO! Baron Steelclaw is forcing Dr. Luscious to build the Ultimate Mega Bomb!
Quick! Use your mounted rocket gun to save. the. day!
*Guitar Riff*

That's pretty neat, I wish the guys who ride dirt bikes outside my home could get these.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Angelous Wang said:
They aren't common, but they are there. The SAS uses bikes and quad bikes, for example.

Back in the day, lots of forces used bicycles to get around.

lupisargent

Dec 6, 2010
For those who have ridden motorcycles or dirt bikes you know they take a fair degree of concentration at the best of times. I don't see that working out very well while being shot at. Plus any sort of riding off road/trail requires a very high degree of training and practice, and the risk for injury in even a low speed crash is still on the high side.

That being said the US marines have been using modified KLR650s for at least a decade and some one already mentioned the ones that run on JP8 (with are also KLR650 just with a different engine). Not sure for what though as most of our recon is done by drone nowadays.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Sounds like a good vehicle to send special forces into rocky hills to hunt an enemy hiding out there, only reachable by mule paths or by very bad roads mined with IEDs. So a quiet dirt bike would mean they can approach faster and with lower risk of detection and have a smaller risk of being blown up on the way there because likely positions can be avoided by going off-road.

I don't know if that'll still be a likely scenario for future US military campaigns but it surely was in the past decade. They probably already have likely candidates for "interventions" in mind and plan their equipment and vehicles accordingly.

Either way, it'd probably be preferable if their military budget were a little lower but large parts of the US economy seem to depend on those funds and their R+D at least tends to also improve civilian applications a few years later. Direct civilian R+D would be better but it is often too risky for businesses to undertake. (example: NASA space program -> "miniturization" and general development of computers -> civilian computers produced by private owned businesses)