Palcohol - Powdered Alcohol - Approved For Sale in The US

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Palcohol - Powdered Alcohol - Approved For Sale in The US

Palcohol transforms a shot of vodka or rum into a small pouch of powder.

Tired of lugging around clunky bottles to parties? Want to purchase your booze more discreetly? Palcohol may be the product for you. The product, which has been approved for sale by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), is exactly what it sounds like: a powered form of alcohol that you mix with water to make a drink.

To start off, the company plans to make margarita, mojito, cosmopolitan, and lemon drop "pre-mixed drink" flavors, as well as two "hard liquor" flavors: vodka and rum. The product's motto is "Take your Pal wherever you go!" and would seem to have its uses sneaking alcohol into places that traditionally have quite strict regulations, such as movie theaters, live venues, and sports events.

As for the "elephant in the room," that is, the concept of "snorting" the powered alcohol, the original version of the Palcohol website had the following to say:

Let's talk about the elephant in the room... snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you'll get drunk almost instantly because the alcohol will be absorbed so quickly in your nose. Good idea? No. It will mess you up. Use Palcohol responsibly.

It has since been updated to state that the powder is cut with enough filler to make snorting inefficient.

While the product does have TTB approval, there are also state regulations, and even if the government provided its full approval, retailers and wholesalers would still have to get on board. Nevertheless, Palcohol's founder says that he plans the product to hit liquor store shelves this fall.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/20/5634132/us-regulators-approve-powdered-alcohol]

Zyph73

Oct 18, 2012
Unless it is cheaper or actually tastes good I can't really see myself purchasing any of these. It doesn't seem to have much a purpose when carrying around alcohol isn't really an issue unless you need to take it somewhere you generally shouldn't be anyway.

Also typo in the title, it should be powdered alcohol and not powered alcohol, right?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Zyph73 said:
Unless it is cheaper or actually tastes good I can't really see myself purchasing any of these. It doesn't seem to have much a purpose when carrying around alcohol isn't really an issue unless you need to take it somewhere you generally shouldn't be anyway.

Also typo in the title, it should be powdered alcohol and not powered alcohol, right?
For times when space is an issue a "Just add water" alchohol could be really good like camping or long term storage or perhaps even military rations?

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Palcohol - Powered Alcohol - Approved For Sale in The US
What is the alcohol powered by, exactly?

Fossil fuels, solar, fission, bicycle, some kind of fusion? Please tell me, I'm quite intrigued.

Also, what does the powering of this alcohol actually achieve?

Does it allow the drink to perform rudimentary mathematical equations? Can we expect our beverages to someday possess a greater intelligence than our own? Could spirits someday rebel against us and establish an alco-centric society? Could the idea of an ale/human hybrid move from the realm of science fiction to science fact?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Alcohol

Powered by society's insatiable lust to text unwise things to former sex partners.

Edit: Steven, you fixed the typo and ruined my joke.

How dare you take your job seriously.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Great, so spiking drinks just got that much easier.

More inventions from the country that brought you aerosol cheese.

Edit:
Caiphus said:
Alcohol

Powered by society's insatiable lust to text unwise things to former sex partners.
This is the best post ever.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
had the idea for this 2 years ago but never got around to it, glad someone did since this would be very useful at football games and such where beer is 10 bucks a cup

averydeeadaccount

Aug 12, 2011
But, isn't alcohol more like an oil? how is this even possible? when did we develop the technology to turn organic compounds that are liquids at room temperature into powders? why is everyone just accepting this as true?
As far as my knowledge of chemistry goes, this is completely impossible. ethanol (the alcohol is drinks) is its own organic compound: CH3CH2OH. Unless below -114 celsius it is a liquid. Since the powder is meant for outdoor use, and is clearly kept at room temperature, the only case I can think of is that the powder reacts with water to form alcohol. Maybe it is a mix of organisms and glucose, but that would take a long time.

As far as I can tell, this whole article is a troll. His website: http://www.palcohol.com/home.html even says the way they make it is secret. If someone has any more information proving me wrong my bad, otherwise, i'm calling bullshit.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
I can already tell this is a bad idea given that I live in a country that's well known for people becoming excessively drunk and violent

iblis666 said:
had the idea for this 2 years ago but never got around to it, glad someone did since this would be very useful at football games and such where beer is 10 bucks a cup
they don't let people bring in their own alcohol so they can refuse sale to intoxicated people

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
mathsisfun said:
But, isn't alcohol more like an oil? how is this even possible? when did we develop the technology to turn organic compounds that are liquids at room temperature into powders? why is everyone just accepting this as true?
As far as my knowledge of chemistry goes, this is completely impossible. ethanol (the alcohol is drinks) is its own organic compound: CH3CH2OH. Unless below -114 celsius it is a liquid. Since the powder is meant for outdoor use, and is clearly kept at room temperature, the only case I can think of is that the powder reacts with water to form alcohol. Maybe it is a mix of organisms and glucose, but that would take a long time.

As far as I can tell, this whole article is a troll. His website: http://www.palcohol.com/home.html even says the way they make it is secret. If someone has any more information proving me wrong my bad, otherwise, i'm calling bullshit.
I know very little about chemistry.

But!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

The actual website seems remarkably unprofessional, but hey.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
heroicbob said:
I can already tell this is a bad idea given that I live in a country that's well known for people becoming excessively drunk and violent

iblis666 said:
they don't let people bring in their own alcohol so they can refuse sale to intoxicated people
Thats the point, its harder to sneak clinking bottles and clanking cans into places. A few packets of powder and an empty carton + water and away you go.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Ever since I stopped drinking to get drunk and started drinking to savour the taste of particular drinks, like single-malt Whisky, I doubt I could appreciate a product like that. It may be capable of making you drunk, but I sincerely doubt it can taste anything like a proper drink.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Anyone else think that the way that the "elephant in the room" disclaimer is worded, it may as well be a ringing endorsement for frat-folk everywhere to snort it immediately?

I bet for an encore the sites update says something along the lines of "Palcohol is cut with enough filler to make snorting it innefficient, but here is a link to a few sites which will provide you directions on how to do it more efficiently, which you should NEVER ever do.... srsly folks, It's bad mmmkay?"

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
because a white powder will never be confused for anything else I mean why would anyone be hiding a white powder on them there is nothing else like that you could possibly confuse this with so there will be exactly no problems what so ever right?.

Al_

Aug 15, 2008
Can't find any US patent applications in his name or assigned to Lipsmark.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
So what if you added this to actual alcohol? Would you get Ultra-alcohol or would it just sink sadly to the bottom. I love the "totally don't do this guys, it will give you an awesome buzz but snorting it is bad." disclaimer. Now no stupid teenager is ever going to do that.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I've always wanted to snort and smoke alcohol inbetween glasses of bourbon.