Tarantino Will Film Hateful Eight After All: Update

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Tarantino Will Film Hateful Eight After All: Update

Update: The Gawker lawsuit has been dismissed, though Tarantino has the option to re-file at a later date.

Gawker's motion to dismiss was granted because Tarantino didn't allege specific infringement; that is, he didn't show that a specific person clicked on the link, and without specific infringement there is no valid case for contributory infringement.

According to the court [http://www.shadesofgraylaw.com/media/00041943.pdf], Tarantino "failed to adequately plead facts establishing direct infringement by a third party or facts that would demonstrate [Gawker] either caused, induced, or materially contributed to the alleged direct infringement of those third party infringers." Tarantino has until May 1st to amend his complaint.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/quentin-tarantinos-gawker-lawsuit-dismissed-698331]

Remember that Gawker lawsuit? Well, you can forget it; at least, for now.

The Gawker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131695-Quentin-Tarantino-Sues-Gawker-Over-Hateful-Eight-Links] lawsuit is still pending, and Quentin Tarantino's still pretty pissed that The Hateful Eight's script got out into the wild before he was ready, but that won't stop him filming it. The Hateful Eight enjoyed a world premier live script reading this weekend, and while it isn't the finished version - second draft is in the works, and after that the third - Tarantino's already talking about how good it will look in 70mm film.

There will be changes. "The Chapter 5 here will not be the Chapter 5 later," Tarantino told the 1,200 strong Hollywood crowd that paid up to $200 a pop to attend, "so this will be the only time it is seen ever." Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Kurt Russell, James Parks, Amber Tamblyn, Michael Madsen, Denis Menochet, James Remar, Walton Goggins and Bruce Dern made Tarantino's script come alive for two and a half hours; Russell is the Hangman, taking Tamblyn's criminal Daisy Domergue into Red Rock for trial, while Jackson is Major Warren, Russell's bounty hunter partner.

It was a hell of a night, with Tarantino shouting out stage directions and cast members using coffee mugs as six guns. "Guys, you are starting to drift away from the dialogue on the page," said Tarantino at one point, to a gust of laughter from the audience, "No more co-writing!" Jackson, previously seen in Django [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/6714-Is-Django-Racist] as a slave complicit in his master's activities, had all kinds of fun as revenge-driven former Union officer Warren, especially when butting heads with Dern's ex-Confederate General Smithers.

If you were wondering whether there'd be clips on YouTube, the odds are against it. Everyone had to give up their cell phones and anything else electronic before they were allowed into the theatre. As for the Gawker thing, that won't get to court until 2015 [http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/quentin-tarantinos-gawker-lawsuit-trial-date-leaked-hateful-eight-script/], assuming Gawker and Tarantino don't come to some kind of agreement before then.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/todd-mccarthy-tarantinos-hateful-eight-697739]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I want to get to there. I wonder what revenge fantasy the film will be about?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Oh, he finally cooled down. The man's too emotional but fortunately he's not irrational. I can't wait for the next Tarantino western :)

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
lol, didn't he declare he was going to retire after 50? Not that I'm complaining, but Tarantino seems to have a habit of making rash announcements and going back on them later :p

AlexVanko

Jul 12, 2010
I think you mean Walton Goggins, not Walter (from FX's Justified and Tarantino's Django Unchained). Fantastic actor, excited to see him in Tarantino's next film.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Eh...
From the title, it sounds like ANOTHER Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven remake (Tarantino Style) I hope I'm wrong, because whilst I do love his older films, I find his newer stuff to be a little bit tired. Here's hoping he can make something cool and original rather than just a complete pastiche of something which has already been done better.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
You know, I don't dislike Tarantino... but he's always been a bit of a one-trick pony. Even Robert Rodriguez has proven he's capable of telling different types of stories in different genres with different tones. Steven Spielberg has done everything from violent war movies to whimsical fairy tales to chilling thrillers.

But, without knowing ANYTHING about the next movie, I can assume it'll have a pulpy feel resembling the films Tarantino grew up liking (most likely a revenge film), 80% "witty" dialogue that does nothing to further the plot and is there because Tarantino loves his writing more than life itself, 20% "shocking" violence that gets progressively less shocking as time goes by, and... some stellar performances by talented actors that elevate the whole mundane material to enjoyable levels.

Seriously, I think every "story" Tarantino writes is almost unbearable... and yet the man can pull dynamite performances out of his actors and actresses that are far better than the material deserves.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yay, this is great news! I was really sad that Tarantino wouldn't be making another Western over the leak.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Trishbot said:
You know, I don't dislike Tarantino... but he's always been a bit of a one-trick pony. Even Robert Rodriguez has proven he's capable of telling different types of stories in different genres with different tones. Steven Spielberg has done everything from violent war movies to whimsical fairy tales to chilling thrillers.

But, without knowing ANYTHING about the next movie, I can assume it'll have a pulpy feel resembling the films Tarantino grew up liking (most likely a revenge film), 80% "witty" dialogue that does nothing to further the plot and is there because Tarantino loves his writing more than life itself, 20% "shocking" violence that gets progressively less shocking as time goes by, and... some stellar performances by talented actors that elevate the whole mundane material to enjoyable levels.

Seriously, I think every "story" Tarantino writes is almost unbearable... and yet the man can pull dynamite performances out of his actors and actresses that are far better than the material deserves.
I like and dislike Tarantino.

One of my biggest gripes is around those elongated dialogue-driven scenes he does. I think he believes himself to be stronger at dialogue than he really is. This was one of my main problems with Inglourious Basterds, especially the opening scene with the "Jew-Catcher" and the French farmers.

I sometimes wonder if he even has editors or if he does, if A. he even listens to them or B. they feel that they can question anything he has chosen to be in the film. Because some of those scenes for me... they're just boring. I assume he thinks there is 'wit' or 'tension' driving them, but I just don't feel it. I wonder if his ego gets in the way of him making better films.

Don't get me wrong, Django was one of my favourite films last year, I thought it was great and the pacing was great, the film never felt overly long, despite being so long. I thought it was quite a marvel.

On the emotive response to having his script leaked, it is entirely understandable. It completely fits his character as he has such investment in his own work that having it spoiled, must have infuriated him - especially because it must've been leaked by someone he trusted with it. So a friend (or at least someone trusted) betrayed him (and sold him out) and potentially spoiled the plot of his next endeavour, which he undoubtedly put a lot of work into.

Once he had time to reflect and presumably, due to wanting to shoot it now, received good feedback from this script reading, it isn't surprising to go back on what he said before about scrapping it. It was a knee-jerk reaction, but his make headlines, unlike mine, so everyone gets to see him backpeddle, but I'm sure most people will understand why it happened.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
So another terrible movie that has a quality appearance to it?

Just what Hollywood needs.
My thoughts exactly. I've never enjoyed a Tarantino film, and when I heard he was throwing a tantrum and not doing this one, I thought "good, that'll save me hearing about it for 6 months before and 5 years after it's released". But nope, I'm not that lucky it seems.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Trishbot said:

You know something. Tarantino is an AMAZING director and a good writer. I would actually love to see what he could do with someone else's work and just devote his time to wringing some great performances and just... Directing.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
Really happy he didn't abandon this project. Tarantino is probably my favorite director of all time. Can't wait to see what he does with this one! Also, the whole being stranded with strangers during a storm has seemed like a really cool idea to me since I first read Stephen Crane's "The Blue Hotel". Fantastic short story if you guys haven't read it.

ZombieSuicide

Apr 7, 2014
So happy to hear this is back on. I'm always excited for Tarantino movies.

Trishbot said:

I think that's something that I like about Tarantino though, his "one-trick poniness". He consistently makes movies that I love. Ever since Reservoir Dogs I've really liked his stuff. Just because he only has a limited scope (or genre, or subject matter) I don't think it takes away from the value of the product. Just because he hasn't done a sappy romantic story or a serious dramatic story doesn't discredit his current works. I've always found the dialogue to be more witty and entertaining than most films. Kevin Smith's stuff is probably another one for me for dialogue. Maybe I'm just a fanboy and I don't know it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Just what Hollywood needs.
3edgy5me[/quote]

I'm not even sure how to respond, as that comment hardly seems relevant.

Without context, it rings about as hollow as a Tarantino film.

moggett88 said:
My thoughts exactly. I've never enjoyed a Tarantino film, and when I heard he was throwing a tantrum and not doing this one, I thought "good, that'll save me hearing about it for 6 months before and 5 years after it's released". But nope, I'm not that lucky it seems.
I honestly didn't know about it until this article that it was "back on." I certainly won't lose sleep if it comes out, but neither will I lose sleep if another one of his films comes out, in all its shitty emulation glory.