H1Z1/Day Z Comparisons Addressed by Sony Boss

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
H1Z1/Day Z Comparisons Addressed by Sony Boss

SOE's John "Smed" Smedley says he loves Day Z and hopes that its team will enjoy H1Z1.

When reddit [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWUd1-mUy0], to address some concerns fans of the game may have, including the Day Z parallel.

"How is this different from Day Z?" was asked, to which Smedley replied: "Saw this a lot. Not going to give some politically correct dodgy b.s. answer. It is a survival in a Zombie Apocalypse game. So is Day Z. They have made a brilliant game (first I might add). They have a great vision for it and can count myself and most of the people on our team as fans and contributors."

"I can say this another way. I love 28 Days and 28 Days Later. I love World War Z. I love Warm Bodies ... And so do most of you. So sure. We're another Zombie Apocalypse game. Call it what it is. But our goal is to make ours fun, accessible, hard core and super, super deep."

Quite a humble response from Smedley, who added "So this is our take on the Zombie Apocalypse with a lot of friends and hopefully some great enemies both living and dead. We're proud to be up front and say we love Day Z and the job they've done and we hope they enjoy what we make too."

He also talked about his future plans for the game, and apologized for the technical issues that the game's first live-stream encountered.

"Long term we plan on making this about a persistent world with a big landscape with thousands of players. The way we would like to see this roll out is much more like players building small enclaves or pockets of territory and hold out against a legitimate zombie threat that's ever present while others go it alone taking their chances.. These player built structures, forts and towns are one of the ways the players try to carve out some small space in a dangerous world."

Source: Internode [http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23c82f/answering_h1z1_questions_i_saw_including_why_is/]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
UGHH. Can we please stop with the Zombie Apocalypse fad for a few years? There's been so many zombie outbreak and survival movies and games in the past decade it makes the FPS genre's use of a WWII setting seem fresh. The whole post apocalypse scenario(zombies or not) has bean beaten worse than a dead horse with a collapsed rib cage, too It seems so bad to me that when Last of Us was announced I went "meh" and stopped caring about what Naughty Dog was doing.(Probably, only a Jak reboot will get my attention again, with what's going on with ND, now.)

This might be why everyone thought the two games looked similar. Day Z is successful game and this one might have potential, but the setting/plot has been used too much. It's starting to blur together.

Games don't need better graphics right now. They need better writers. I just thought of some better ideas for a survival game and I've never been a good writer: the player is a part a a group of terraformers on a planet with hostile semi-intelligent life, one game could be set in a fantasy world where it's wild beasts and evil creatures like trolls, mischievous forest pixies and goblins are the threat(huge potential to add some color and imaginative flora and fauna to the visuals with this one), and if you still wanna be boring have a Mad Max style game about what would happen if resources diminished(at least add some flavor to the survival genre like what the Fallout series did to the whole nuclear apocalypse). These developers and publishers just need to stick their heads out more and try something different. Remember back in 2005-09 when towers of Rock Band and Guitar Hero boxes were in stores because that was the it thing at the time? Publishers pushed that stuff out like hotcakes until the market crashed in 2010.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
I haven't actually played a finished one of these zombie survival game yet and I am already sick of it, seriously this is worse then the flappy bird clones. Here's an idea how about a game set in the near future where the world isn't a complete fucking shit hole how about some scifi that has a positive attitude about the future

Dijarida

Feb 1, 2014
OK kids, put away your pitchforks and extinguish your torches. This post isn't supposed to be hypeing us for another zombie game, lets let the game do that, but look at how /human/ that Sony Employee is acting. I kid, but seriously, I can really appreciate how they atleast tell us upfront they are trying to weasel in on the fad while they can, as apposed to the &# flappy bird clones and assorted drivel on steam greenlight.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Orange12345 said:
I haven't actually played a finished one of these zombie survival game yet and I am already sick of it, seriously this is worse then the flappy bird clones. Here's an idea how about a game set in the near future where the world isn't a complete fucking shit hole how about some scifi that has a positive attitude about the future
But how else can Tom InternetDweller's choice in game match his cynicism, particularly about the future of the human race?

I (partially) kid, but seriously, the industry is going to collapse on this "shoot zombies in a pseudo-MMO sandbox" thing before one of its games are even finished. That's strange to think about.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
People complain about too many zombie games, but I have yet to play an actual good one, so I welcome Sony's attempt. If they can give me a true, playable, non-alpha/buggy zombie survival game experience, then bring it on.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
An actual big-budget take on open world zombie games sounds good. I want tons of options for hunting, gathering, and fortifying so I can join a Woodbury group. Is it overreaching if I bring my own head-in-a-tank? That'd be my souvenir from my first undead kill.

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
The difference is DayZ rips you off for a one-time cost, H1Z1 will rip you off on an on-going basis via microtransactions :p

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
UGHH. Can we please stop with the Zombie Apocalypse fad for a few years? There's been so many zombie outbreak and survival movies and games in the past decade it makes the FPS genre's use of a WWII setting seem fresh.
No, no we cant. and we wont. because zombies are useful twofold: 1) it provides easy choice for the enemy. at one side its politically neutral which means a lot in this PC world, on the other hand its ok if the AI is stupid since zombies are stupid = less time coding AI. 2) it is a good representation of multitude of our fears in society and unless those fears go away zombies are here to stay.

Remus said:
An actual big-budget take on open world zombie games sounds good. I want tons of options for hunting, gathering, and fortifying so I can join a Woodbury group. Is it overreaching if I bring my own head-in-a-tank? That'd be my souvenir from my first undead kill.
if we learn anything from big budget releases is they usualyl take options away, not add them.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Strazdas said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
UGHH. Can we please stop with the Zombie Apocalypse fad for a few years? There's been so many zombie outbreak and survival movies and games in the past decade it makes the FPS genre's use of a WWII setting seem fresh.
No, no we cant. and we wont. because zombies are useful twofold: 1) it provides easy choice for the enemy. at one side its politically neutral which means a lot in this PC world, on the other hand its ok if the AI is stupid since zombies are stupid = less time coding AI. 2) it is a good representation of multitude of our fears in society and unless those fears go away zombies are here to stay.
I know what you mean there. I'm just zombied out. That just proves that the creative medias and specifically games are getting lazy both in writing and programing when they use the same simple idea over and over. Regrettably, many consumers are easy to please and quite vocal when offended, so creators are able to get away with this.

We did have a few decades between George A. Romeo's original movie and 2004's Dawn of the Dead where there wasn't a new zombie title coming out almost every other month. Maybe they could just chill of the zombie thing a little before the zombie bubble pops, and guys who put a lot of hard work into a zombie game have a hard time selling it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
I know what you mean there. I'm just zombied out. That just proves that the creative medias and specifically games are getting lazy both in writing and programing when they use the same simple idea over and over. Regrettably, many consumers are easy to please and quite vocal when offended, so creators are able to get away with this.

We did have a few decades between George A. Romeo's original movie and 2004's Dawn of the Dead where there wasn't a new zombie title coming out almost every other month. Maybe they could just chill of the zombie thing a little before the zombie bubble pops, and guys who put a lot of hard work into a zombie game have a hard time selling it.
Or some consumers actually genuinely love zombies and their exposure does not consists of every single game released but only a hnadful? You know, like me.

Actually, there was a new zombie title coming out every other month. MORE in fact. you wouldnt believe how many (poor production mostly) zombie movies are out there. ive seen lists with over 500 titles from 80s to 90s, heck, ive seen over 100 of them and counting. Zombie bikers from outer space. Zombie strippers. The day of brain eaters, zombie movies have tried every single thing possible. Heck there is even a Zombie restaurant.

Does that mean the good zombie movies didnt sell? no, it didnt. because they were good. The bad ones however were lost to obscurity.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I like how so many people are quick to label something as useless and question it's right to exist because THEY aren't in to it.