Fatal Frame V Coming Exclusively to Wii U

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fatal Frame V Coming Exclusively to Wii U

A title or release date for the new Fatal Frame game has yet to be revealed.

While Famitsu magazine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133869-Report-Resident-Evil-7-to-be-Revealed-at-E3-2014], namely, that a fifth title is in development - exclusively for Nintendo's Wii U.

Furthermore, in conjunction with the new game's development, developer Tecmo Koei is expanding the franchise through a series of new multimedia expansions. Kadokawa Corporation will produce a live-action Fatal Frame film, and Multiple Personality Detective Psycho and The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service author Eiji Otsuka will pen an original novel. A comic from Shin Kibayashi is also planned.

The latest original entry in the Fatal Frame series, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, launched for Wii in Japan in July 2008, but was never localized. A remake of Fatal Frame 2 was then released in Japan in 2012, but again, never made it over to the West.

Hopefully, this new title will get localized.

Source: Gematsu [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201404/22052036.html]

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
As much as the WiiU gets hated on for the tablet nonsense etc...I can actually see this series' core gimick (ghosts only visible through the camera/etc) *WORKING* with the WiiU.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
dunno if i'd hold my breath on the localization, but wii u's pretty desperate for selling anything right now, so i wouldn't count it out entirely

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Uratoh said:
As much as the WiiU gets hated on for the tablet nonsense etc...I can actually see this series' core gimick (ghosts only visible through the camera/etc) *WORKING* with the WiiU.
Pretty much this. Let the "regular world" be shown on the TV, and the ghosts only through the tablet when you hold it in front of the TV. Match made in heaven. I might actually get a WiiU for this, if they do it right...

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Exclusives are what people buy Nintendo consoles for, and the WiiU could use more exclusive releases not made by Nintendo. They better not think of keeping it Japan-only.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Jumwa said:
Exclusives are what people buy Nintendo consoles for, and the WiiU could use more exclusive releases not made by Nintendo. They better not think of keeping it Japan-only.
Unfortunately the last one was japan only as well although at least there was a fan patch that fixed that.

OT: Considering all the motion controls on the wii u i have a feeling this game could either be a console mover or another betrayal in a series i used to be into.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Well this is just kicking me while I'm still down from FF4 never getting localized. Now FF5 is going to be on a console I'll never buy AND almost certainly not localized.

What's next? Forbidden Siren 3 is going to be Ouya Exclusive?

Silent Hill...whatever number we are one now, being a free to play cellphone game with microtransations?

"Would you like to buy more batteries for your flashlight for 5000 Robbie Rabbit fun bucks?"

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Please god don't make something where you have to point the controller at the screen to fight ghosts, that would be so very annoying (especially considering how combat centric these game are, just make something normal, please). But aside from that, i'm very excited about this, if they release it in the EU...

Btw, Project Zero 2 was localized for the west (EU atleast), i have it and it's pretty good except the motion controls are quite awful and they introduced a silly minigame whenever you pick up items (you do that a lot and it gets old very fast!). But those changes didn't manage to ruin a brilliant game, just shows how great it is.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Whoracle said:
Uratoh said:
Pretty much this. Let the "regular world" be shown on the TV, and the ghosts only through the tablet when you hold it in front of the TV. Match made in heaven. I might actually get a WiiU for this, if they do it right...
That's going to be pretty tiresome, considring how much you usually use the camera in these games. You would be sitting with your arms stretched for most of the game. Unless they made ghosts scarce and changed the entire direction of the series, which i don't hope they do. The combat is the cool part about these games, imo. One of the most fun to play survival horror series out there, please don't ruin it with silly gimmicks.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
RealRT said:
Since when is being exclusive to Wii U a good thing?
Since people who have owned Wii U's have wanted to play games on them.

I'm looking forward to this, I don't usually play survival horror, but this looks interesting! Plus more games to play on my Wii U is always good!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
It could make me buy a Wii U... or we might be looking at the curse of Fatal Frame 4 continuing onward to ruin another game in the franchise. There were good reasons that Mask of the Lunar Eclipse was not officially brought over: I had the opportunity to try playing it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I could definitely see this working well on Wii U. It's the same sort of reason I think a Pokemon Snap game on Wii U would be great as well.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
New Frontiersman said:
RealRT said:

I'm looking forward to this, I don't usually play survival horror, but this looks interesting! Plus more games to play on my Wii U is always good!
Newsflash: games can be released on multiple platforms and people who don't own a Wii U not being able to play it is NOT a good thing... then again, Wii U and multiplats are like two parallel lines.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
RealRT said:
New Frontiersman said:
RealRT said:

Newsflash: games can be released on multiple platforms and people who don't own a Wii U not being able to play it is NOT a good thing... then again, Wii U and multiplats are like two parallel lines.
Exclusives might be bad for your wallet but they are very good for the industry; they drive competition and encourage innovation.

Also, the WiiU has the potential to offer unique gameplay experiences that are not possible with the other consoles and won?t be possible if all the system gets is ports. So far, very few games on the system have fully embraced this uniqueness but the ones that have are incredibly compelling.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Exclusives are the only reason the consumer has to buy any console.
If that were true they wouldn't be rushing to buy new consoles with nary an exclusive worth mentioning by the millions.