Dota 2: Valve Is Manipulating Gamers into Good Behavior

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Dota 2: Valve Is Manipulating Gamers into Good Behavior

Experimental Psychologist Dr. Mike Ambinder explains the mechanism behind Valve's psychological warfare.

Multiplayer gaming isn't for the easily offended. Racism, sexism, and pretty much every other form of bigotry are commonplace. But the folks at Valve have been molding the behavior of Dota 2 players using a particularly sly form of psychological manipulation: self reflection.

Dr. Mike Ambinder is an experimental psychologist who works at Valve. Last week, he was a featured speaker at Glitch.ed [http://glitch.mn/] where he discussed Valve's subconscious trickery:

At the end of a Dota match you have a survey that comes up. It used to just be one question, like 'Rate the quality of the match, one to five stars.' And that was fine. We could correlate those responses to various in-game behaviors, and see what people were doing, and see what kinds of qualities of matches led to good behaviors and so forth. And that was fine.

But what we changed a bit a little more recently was added a couple more questions. So we added, 'Please rate how cooperative your teammates were, one to five stars,' you know, not at all cooperative to very cooperative. We also added a third question, which was, 'Rate how cooperative you were as a teammate.' And this was the important one.

I honestly don't care if you lie. All of us want to think highly of ourselves, so there's going to be a natural inclination to want to put, say, 'Hey, I was really cooperative as a teammate.'

What's going to happen, though, is that if you rate yourself really highly as a teammate, 'Yeah, I'm a five-star teammate' but you weren't, because you know that you were being a dick in the game, you're going to go into what psychologists like to call cognitive dissonance. When you're holding two conflicting notions in mind, right? One, that you were actually a bad teammate, and two, that you rated yourself highly as a good teammate.

You're going to want to answer the question honestly. You're going to want to actually rate yourself accurately as a good teammate, so the hope is that because you had this dissonance between how you want to rate yourself and how you actually behaved, it's going to push your behavior more towards wanting to be a more cooperative teammate.

So we actually saw, once we put those questions in the game, is that the number of reports in-game went down by about 10 to 15 percent.

Granted, mind games like this one probably won't brainwash a truly bona fide preteen bigot, but anything that reduces in-game hostility, even by the smallest of margins, is a step in the right direction.

Source: GeekParty [http://geekparty.com/how-valve-tricked-dota-2-players-into-better-behavior/]

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
As a long time dota player I think this is a very honorable effort, but all of us know this will ultimately be pointless.
I have played this game long enough to know the community ain´t gonna change, I just learned to live with it and try not to get angry even though it´s just not possible sometimes.
Like last game with that fucking chrystal maiden dumbass who let my solo hardlane windrunner buy wards and courier, lasthitted everything she could with chrystal nova and was so fucking stupid that I can´t even..... I think i´ll just stop here and get a beer.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
No, not really buying this one

"What's going to happen, though, is that if you rate yourself really highly as a teammate, 'Yeah, I'm a five-star teammate' but you weren't, because you know that you were being a dick in the game, you're going to go into what psychologists like to call cognitive dissonance. When you're holding two conflicting notions in mind, right? One, that you were actually a bad teammate, and two, that you rated yourself highly as a good teammate."

I bet Hitler would feel like he deserved some award for what he did and in those games if someone calls someone else a ****** he will probably think that his reason to call him a ****** was justified (it doesnt matter if it was or not, for him it was).

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
DaViller said:
Like last game with that fucking chrystal maiden dumbass who let my solo hardlane windrunner buy wards and courier, lasthitted everything she could with chrystal nova and was so fucking stupid that I can´t even..... I think i´ll just stop here and get a beer.
...and this is why I never play DotA or LoL.

It's a noble step in the right direction guys. Perhaps if it was something more along the lines of "start penalizing people who report/tell other people to report players that don't buy/do what they think they should buy/do", we'd have a better gaming experience...

sid

Jan 22, 2013
josemlopes said:

"What's going to happen, though, is that if you rate yourself really highly as a teammate, 'Yeah, I'm a five-star teammate' but you weren't, because you know that you were being a dick in the game, you're going to go into what psychologists like to call cognitive dissonance. When you're holding two conflicting notions in mind, right? One, that you were actually a bad teammate, and two, that you rated yourself highly as a good teammate."

I bet Hitler would feel like he deserved some award for what he did and in those games if someone calls someone else a ****** he will probably think that his reason to call him a ****** was justified (it doesnt matter if it was or not, for him it was).
Good thing Dota 2's audience isn't composed of a few million Hitlers then. You don't have to go anecdotal to decide rather this would work out or not, it sort of already did. There's been a shrink in reports of 10%ish, that's a huge number. Of course, not everyone is susceptible to this, but the results are pretty damn promising.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is good news because MOBA communities are filled with assholes who aren't very pleasant to newcomers. DOTA 2 included. Turned me off the genre completely.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"You're going to want to answer the question honestly. "
Pffffffffffff.

Seriously, I do not believe that is in particular something real assholes will have much of a problem with.
Our whole society is built upon "white lies" which are used IMMENSELY often as they are even considdered to be "correct etiquette"!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Holy shit. 10% ~ 15% decrease in reports of bad behavior....on the back of the inclusion of ONE simple, post-match question, is NOT an insignificant decrease.

I was dubious as to why Valve hired a psychologist some time back. Now I'm beginning to understand the point of that endeavor.

And anything that gets players to behave online without being intrusive or stifling is okay in my book.

josemlopes said:
From zero to Godwin in two posts. Impressive.

You don't have to. It's already clearly working. :/

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
They need to bring such a thing into the COD community. Or better yet, just ban 90% of the COD community. Those rage monkeys are too intense to be allowed any kind of human interaction.

Bertinan

Nov 5, 2008
I wonder if this data is coming from when they introduced the two reports a week limit, which dropped the volume of my reports by 90% on it's own, or if it's coming from when they introduced the new (and hilarious) mute/low priority system. Or maybe it comes from large numbers of people just giving up on reports doing anything at all.

Basically, I smell bullshit on this one. Far more likely explanations for why report volume dropped than a simple question that no one pays attention to anyway.

Also, I can tell you as someone who play a LOT of dota2 (2k+ hours so far) that game quality has not improved at all since 2010, when I first got into beta. In fact, it's just gotten worse and worse with each new "fix" for matchmaking they introduce. Couple that with the total lack of content releases (still no where near hero parity with DoTA 1) and the fact that thousands of bugs still sit in the dev forum completely ignored for years...

Oh, but don't worry. Valve makes sure to release new hats every week;)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Still a Moba game, good on the psychology but I'm still never playing a Moba and will never touch Dota 2.

Grats I guess?.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Somehow I read that as "Valve brainwashing gamers" and I pictured this on my head:

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Personally I rate myself completely honestly. I often give myself 1 or 2 stars. But to be honest the only reason I'll ever play in an uncooperative way is if I either can't trust my team mates to help me (like run away from fights for no good reason) or if I'm being lazy and am just playing for fun to pass the time.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
How about 1) ban 90% of all DOTA players or 2) just stop support of this genre 100% until the community gets its shit together.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
RaikuFA said:
How about 1) ban 90% of all DOTA players or 2) just stop support of this genre 100% until the community gets its shit together.
Why is it that so many people who don't actually seem to play the game apparently want it to go away? No matter how bad the dota community is it's not like it effects you.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
Why is it that so many people who don't actually seem to play the game apparently want it to go away? No matter how bad the dota community is it's not like it effects you.
Because that attitude can seep into games that those people like.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
The people who would feel the effects of cognitive dissonance are not the people who really need to change their behavior too much. So lotta good this'll do. -.-