Movie Rights Optioned For Marshmallow Peeps

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Movie Rights Optioned For Marshmallow Peeps

No, really

And the "other shoe" drops on the massive success of The Lego Movie. Filmmaker Adam Rifkin, late of Detroit Rock City and Underdog, has optioned the film and TV rights to Peeps - as in, the colored-sugar encrusted marshmallow candies popularly associated with the Easter holiday. Traditionally shaped like baby chicks (hence the name) but also produced in other varieties, the candies are a $2 billion a year moneymaker for Philadelphia-based confectioner Just Born.

According to Rifkin, he was inspired by a Peeps diorama contest being held at his niece and nephew's school. The pitch, according to Rifkin and his producing partners, would involve a hero Peep who is seperated from its diorama the night before a similar competition and must make its way back by traveling through the other diorama "worlds." They hope to partner with a larger studio, preferably one that owns the rights to other popular characters who could appear (in Peep-form) for cameos.

Rifkin got his start directing and acting in low-budget horror films like Psycho Cop 2, The Invisible Sex Maniac and The Dark Backward under the name "Rif Coogan," before transitioning to family and comedy fare as the screenwriter of MouseHunt, Joe Dante's Small Soldiers, and the caveman comedy Homo Erectus (aka National Lampoon's The Stoned Age.) He is next slated to direct the "meta-thriller" Director's Cut from a screenplay by Penn Jillette.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/peeps-candy-movie-tv-adam-rifkin/]

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
This is appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKQ1RVo_ZEA

This is a little silly, but they're just too adorable for me to really complain. I look forward to licensed peep movie peeps.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I Have never ate a peep ever. I have seen them and had a few but I gave them to others. Maybe I will see if some are still for sale at the grocery store just to try one... Maybe use them as a marshmellow for the smores when I go camping in 2 weeks.

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
JET1971 said:
I Have never ate a peep ever. I have seen them and had a few but I gave them to others. Maybe I will see if some are still for sale at the grocery store just to try one... Maybe use them as a marshmellow for the smores when I go camping in 2 weeks.
Do you like sugar? I don't mean just any sugar either. I mean sugar that makes your teeth hurt. That's the attraction that peeps hold. Memories of teeth hurting sugar.... oh and something can be said for the sweet, sweet energy rush it gives you too. Almost like meth... well what I "think" meth would be like, never having actually tried it.

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
You can make a movie out of anything. Like toys of robots that transform into cars. Or food. But then this happens: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/42895-foodfight
;p

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011

I know that everything might be made into a good movie by competent people. I know the Lego Movie was good. But does the pitch always have to be some form of brand recognition at all cost?
Yes, you can make a movie centering around a trademarked marshmallow product. But do you really have to? Really? Couldn't you tell the story you want to tell without specifically using that branded product? Because I don't see how this is really relevant to the pitched story. Which seems kinda meh anyway, but nevermind.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Oh so are those what the Erfworld creatures are based off?

Only a few sweets are good enough to cross international borders

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I like peeps. If the sugar on the peeps makes someones teeth hurt they probably shouldn't be eating them or any other crystal sugar coated candy, though. Actually, they probably still have them on sale over at the CVS or Shnucks nearby. Thanks escapist: I simply NEEDED to crave even more marshmallow given how many Russel Stoffers marshmallow eggs I still got to go through.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I had peeps once a long time ago. It was probably one of the most disgusting candies I've ever had. The marshmallow felt like stiffened foam, coated in sugar with the consistency of rocks.

But a movie? This is just getting ridiculous. I don't care how good the Lego Movie might have been (I didn't see it); if their next big idea is a giant commercial for once-a-year junk food, they should have their creative person's cards revoked.

In any case, I've never heard of a peep diorama competition, and have to wonder why the plot calls for peeps specifically. You know, instead of anything else you can make dioramas out of.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
My parents give me peeps every year for Easter.

However, every time I see those adorable little birds, I can only think about how South Park weaponized them.

"PEEEPS!"

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I honestly cannot decide if I detest peeps or candy corn more. They come in just after rotten meat and other spoiled foods on the list of things I will not eat.

That being said, I'm actually interested in what kind of movie this will become.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
...Well, look at it this way. Did we ever think we'd get a good movie out of the basic Lego franchise? And we did.

I just think this probably won't be as good as the Lego movie.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
I'm reminded of all those jokes Movie Bob made about "Twinkie the Kid" getting a movie. It's like in some weird way that is really happening now.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that movie execs are in some kind of mental fog when they greenlight this stuff and never truly hear themselves when they make these decisions. Someday they might snap out of it and it will be a tragic, powerful moment of self-reflection and existential crisis:

"A movie about Peeps is the best idea ever........my God what have we become?"

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I can't say I'm particularly sold on the idea of this movie at all, but it should be interesting to see where they go with it.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Fijiman said:
I can't say I'm particularly sold on the idea of this movie at all, but it should be interesting to see where they go with it.
I just can't wait for when peeps has to cross the Halo diorama:

Imagine Saving Private Ryan, but instead of Tom Hanks' character there's a giant yellow sugar pinata.

It'll win ALL the Oscars!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh good god, the guy who made the underdog live action movie is doing this?

No way this will be good. I mean, the premise is there, but the guy directed underdog. He can't be good enough to pull this off.