HBO Shows Heading to Amazon Prime (But No Game of Thrones)

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
HBO Shows Heading to Amazon Prime (But No Game of Thrones)

Amazon Prime subscribers will gain instant streaming access to a variety HBO's hit series beginning in May.

HBO puts out some really great TV shows that a lot of people understandably want to watch. The problem, however, is that actually watching a lot the channel's various series can, at times, be something of a pain. Outside of pricey cable subscriptions and actual physical releases, there aren't that many legal methods of watching HBO series. That being the case, its recently been revealed that a new deal with Amazon will potentially open its programming up to a whole new slew of eager viewers.

The new agreement will give Amazon Prime subscribers unlimited streaming access to a wide selection of HBO's original series. More specifically, once the deal goes into effect, Prime members will be able watch every episode of The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Rome, Eastbown & Down, Flight of the Conchords and Englightened. Select seasons of True Blood, Boardwalk Empire and Treme will also be made available with seasons of Girls, Veep and The Newsroom joining them after they turn three years old.

"As owners of our original programming, we have always sought to capitalize on that investment," said Glenn Whitehead, HBO's EVP of business and legal affairs. "Given our longstanding relationship with Amazon, we couldn't think of a better partner to entrust with this valuable collection."

Unfortunately, it's been confirmed that this deal will not confirm current ratings kings like Game of Thrones and True Detective. That being the case, it's a definite win for Amazon which arguably needed to add more value to its Prime subscription after its reveal earlier this year that the service would be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132904-Amazon-Prime-Price-Jumps-to-99-on-April-17th>raising its prices. Prime members will gain access to the new HBO offerings beginning on May 21st.

Source: Variety

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i guess if they put GoT on there too, they couldn't boast such high piracy numbers...

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
GoT is on Amazon Instant video, but none of it is on prime. in the UK anyway.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
If HBO offered an internationally accessible streaming service I'd gladly pay through the nose for it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Or in other words, "HBO programming will now be available for streaming for people without cable subscriptions!... Psyche!"

Throwing away money and encouraging piracy to prop up a dying business model. Bravo. Y'know, I do still have a video store nearby if I really want to watch older cable shows...

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Pff. This deal might be great for the few people that want to watch those shows and haven't already. What they should do is offer recent GoT episodes for sale on Amazon's instant video for maybe a dollar or two more than old episodes. If people could get them without having to subscribe to an HBO package, the torrenting rates would drop. Maybe people with money to burn would even buy some while waiting for the next season box set. HBO and Games Workshop must trade business tips.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Isn't Amazon Prime obscenely expensive?

Keep trying guys, eventually your show will stop locking people out how it does right now.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012

I guess it's back to square one. Seeing as I don't have cable and I'm sure as hell not going to get just for one single show, I guess I'll just have to keep watching the show by [CENSORED] and then eventually buying the blu-rays.

Seriously HBO, please figure out the internet works sometime in the next decade or so. I would very much like to watch your show without resorting to [CENSORED].

beef623

Jun 7, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:

Keep trying guys, eventually your show will stop locking people out how it does right now.
$8 a month, about the same as sites like netflix and hulu, but you get free 2 day shipping too. I think it's cheaper if you buy the yearly subscription.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
beef623 said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

$8 a month, about the same as sites like netflix and hulu, but you get free 2 day shipping too. I think it's cheaper if you buy the yearly subscription.
Memory is a bit weird then.

I remember signing up for a free trial then being charged £40 because amazon "forgot" to end the subscription after the trial finished.

beef623

Jun 7, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
beef623 said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Memory is a bit weird then.

I remember signing up for a free trial then being charged £40 because amazon "forgot" to end the subscription after the trial finished.
It's like $70 or $80 for the yearly option, they added the monthly option a year or two ago I think.