Aztez is an Aztec-Themed Castle Crashers-Style Beat-Em-Up

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Aztez is an Aztec-Themed Castle Crashers-Style Beat-Em-Up

Aztez certainly has a very unique, ultra-violent sense of style.

If you're a fan of those old-school sice-scrolling beat-em-ups like Final Fight and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that Castle Crashers emulated, Aztez may be the game you need to scratch your itch. Being developed by indie dev Team Colorblind for a 2014 release, Aztez certainly has a very unique, and awesome, sense of style.

With its black-and while color scheme, the explosions of red blood really stand out, giving the game the kind of ultra-violent over-the-top feel of Sin City and Madworld. If the trailer you'll see to the right is anything to go by, Aztez will definitely be one to keep an eye on.

While the trailer only shows off some side-scrolling goodness, the full game will actually bounce between turn-based strategy and side scrolling beat-em-up sequences as you work to expand the Aztec empire. As an Aztez, an elite warrior, you'll be sent in to "squash revolts, curb plagues,eliminate political opponents, coerce powerful neighbors, protect allies, and more."

If that doesn't sound engaging enough, you should know that all games of Aztez are actually proceduraly generated. "Every game is unique; different events will occur, different challenges will emerge, and different spoils will be taken each time you play."

If you'd like to know more about the game, be sure to check out the official website [http://aztez.com/], which features a devblog that is fairly regularly updated with more insight on the game's systems.

Aztez will release in 2014 on Steam, with versions for Xbox One, PS4, Wii U and PS Vita to follow.

Source: PC Gamer [http://aztez.com/]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
If you can't harvest enemy hearts and wear their skins I'll be disappointed.

Of course it was the priests who did that, the warriors only captured the sacrifices so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The ariel combat reminds me of Senran Kagura. A game any beat em up fan should at least try out.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Unless you don't care for creepy unrealistically busty depictions of high school girls, then you should stay well clear.

That said, I think I might pick this up on the Vita, if it plays well. Because it honestly looks like it was designed as a handheld game.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm sure you'll get used to it once you play the actual game but I had a bit of trouble making out who you were in the trailer. Has an interesting aesthetic and setting going for it, hope it turns out well.
Pedro The Hutt said:
Unless you don't care for creepy unrealistically busty depictions of high school girls, then you should stay well clear.
You might wanna mention what game you're talking about, I did a double-take when I read your description of what I thought was Aztez.