Goosebumps Movie Begins Filming

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Goosebumps Movie Begins Filming

The film stars Jack Black as Goosebumps author R.L. Stine.

The well-known books series is getting a live-action film. Filming has now started on the Goosebumps movie starring Jack Black. Instead of adapting any single Goosebumps story, the film makes series author R.L. Stine the center of the story. Teenager Zach Cooper (Dylan Minnette) moves from a big city to a small town, where he meets Hannah (Odeya Rush) and her mysterious father, R.L. Stine (Jack Black). The teens discover that the monsters in Stine's books are real, and that he keeps them locked up in the books he writes. In typical Goosebumps fashion, the monsters are unintentionally released and the trio must put them back where they belong. Goosebumps is scheduled for release March 23, 2016.

The film reunites Black with Gulliver's Travels director Rob Letterman. School of Rock screenwriter Mike White and Darren Lemke wrote the screenplay, based on a story by Lemke, Scott Alexander, and Larry Karaszewski. Filling out the cast are Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone), Jillian Bell (Bridesmaids), Ryan Lee (Super 8), and Ken Marino (Veronica Mars). Filming for Goosebumps will be in Conyers, Madison and Atlanta, Georgia.

If you grew up in the '90s, you probably spent more than a little time reading the Goosebumps series of books or watching the live-action television adaptation. The children's horror fiction series leans more towards spooky than terrifying, and the plots are often formulaic. The lack of violence and gore made it popular among some parents, though according to the ALA [http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=pressreleases&template=/contentmanagement/contentdisplay.cfm&ContentID=9404] the series has been one of the books most challenged for removal from school libraries or reading lists. Personally, I had a decent collection of the books, but I always found Are You Afraid of the Dark scarier than the Goosebumps show. What do you think?

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/24/goosebumps-movie-has-begun-filming-now-joined-by-super-8s-ryan-lee]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Buh...what? What?

Just...no. No to Jack Black, no to yet another old franchise being made into a movie for no reason, and no to it being about the Goosebumps movie.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I only see tenacious d, the pick of destiny and school of rock when Jack Black is mentioned. As a fan of many rocks and metals, it is only inevitable that i would have a biased opinion. Plus i am not american ;)

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Sleekit said:
i dunno...i kinda find Jack Black annoying in everything except films in which he's supposed to be annoying...

High Fidelity is the only film i really like with him in it.

never really understood the level of...awe (?)...around him...

was he in some big show we didn't get in the UK or something ?
Funnily enough High Fidelity is considered to be his breakout role. Well according to Wikipedia, I have never seen High Fidelity myself. I just remember him from his series of silly comedy films and School of Rock which was a lot better than his other films. I think he can be trusted to do this role in the same way I would trust Eddy Murphy or Robin Williams. They are all funny guys who have done good stuff but there is a fifty fifty chance the script will make them just be generic family comedy style characters.

I was actually interested in this when I read it would be about the author but then I read the plot and my heart sunk. I am not a fan of Goosebumps but I originally thought they were going to do something special instead of another run of the mil cash in on an existing franchise.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Hmm.

Okay, this could be fun. I don't think it'll be great by any means, but I'm up for Jack Black and a few (hopefully) tolerable child actors chasing monsters around.

Jan 12, 2012
Can anyone explain why Jack Black was cast in the role?

Not a lot of similarities. I don't know what the man's actual personality is like, though, so maybe he's similar to that one character Jack Black always plays (Not a knock on him, he's just very much a character actor).

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Okay, good. I'm not the only one who immediately looked at his calendar to be sure the first didn't roll around.

The news isn't really "bad", I guess. Goosebumps was basically a child's introduction to twilight zone twists, and I loved the books. On paper, it seems like the concept would translate well onto film.

Then I remember the goosebumps tv series, though, which wound up being more corny than scary or thought provoking, if only for the poor acting... provided the casting for the movie avoids that pitfall, this could be really good.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Is Goosebumps even relevant anymore? I mean, how long has it been since the author put out anything in the series?

Oh wait, mining nostalgia. Got it. Honestly, I never cared for Goosebumps all that much.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Hmmm.. i loved goosebumps tv show as a kid and i had every single goosebumps book ever made when I was younger.. if it's done right, it could be good.. now how about a Are You Afriad of the Dark movie?

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Hey it could have been worse I suppose, they could have based it on the plot of Beast from the East...

*Shudders*

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
This started filming last month actually. I almost got a background roll in it as a ghoul, but the director chose someone else.