Titanfall's "War Games" Map Is a "Parkour Playground"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall's "War Games" Map Is a "Parkour Playground"

"War Games" is one of three maps included in the Titanfall: Expedition DLC map pack coming next month.

The first DLC map pack for Titanfall is set to come out next month, and Respawn Entertainment has lifted the veil on one of the three maps it contains: "War Games," which is actually set in the training mission simulator within the game. It's composed of "themed areas" based on pre-existing maps, connected by the "smooth, featureless style of the training rooms," with some spots even suffering from occasional visual glitches to remind players that they're battling in a virtual environment.

The IMC start in an Airbase-style section with working Marvins and a tank repair garage, while the Militia begins in an area based on Angel City, but set at night. A tower in the middle, modeled after Rise, provides a shortcut across the map and can be captured by either side, but its narrow, exposed hallway makes any sort of incursion a high-risk maneuver.

[gallery=2392]

The map employs colored force fields as wallrunning panels, some of which stretch for long distances, high above the action. "These are meant to be obvious paths to help encourage players that haven't embraced this new way of traversing maps," designer Jason McCord explained. "Because of the environment, we even used arrows to help guide players where we wanted them to run."

Consideration has also been given to Titans by way of paintball-style fields on the outskirts of the level that are "clutter-free to make enemies easy to spot and paths easy to discern," McCord continued. "Titan spawn points push players into these areas, while also allowing flanking Titans to travel through the center of the map."

The Titanfall: Expedition DLC features three maps, including "War Games," and will go on sale in May for $9.99. It can also be had as part of the Titanfall season pass, which offers three DLC releases for $24.99.

Source: Titanfall [http://www.titanfall.com/news/expedition-war-games]

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hmm. Looks pretty neat. Some of those screens instantly reminded me of some community-made GunGame maps in Counter-Strike.

Those "guided paths" sound like zones screaming to have satchel charges or arc mines planted on them.

I hope the other two maps look as promising.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm sorry. $10 is just too much for only three maps. This is part of the reason why I don't buy singular map packs.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Wait... If it's a simulation, which team is the real team? Is any team real? Is my character just a game character inside a game inside another game?
On another note, it would be cool if when enemies die, they vanish in a cloud of pixels.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm sorry. $10 is just too much for only three maps. This is part of the reason why I don't buy singular map packs.
I'm convinced Titanfall is just one, big social experiment to see how much they can get people to pay for as little as possible.

The sad thing is: it's success will set the standard from here on out.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Now I see why they take away the ability to mod the game, cuz if we could mod it we would get unlimited maps for free.

They are essentially charging us what us used to get for free. Don't encourage them, don't buy please.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds interesting. lets hope these maps are fun to play. but i have to agree that 10$ is a lot. well, i already payed for the season pass. at least a minor discount.

Kataiser

Apr 16, 2009
I was going to point out that nobody complained about map packs in the past, but I checked and realized that you got a lot more content per dollar during the time period I was thinking about. Probably needs to be cheaper, but I don't think that map packs for money is really so unacceptable.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
10$ for three maps is too much. it's nice that they are not putting new modes and burn cards behind a paywall but i still don't get why we need more maps. the game has a shitton of maps, i played some rounds yesterday and suddenly the game load a map i had not seen in my 35 hours playing it.
i guess mappacks sold for cod so we have to stick with it.
(hey respawn, sell cosmetics for titans, i would totally pay to paint my titan pink)

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
The map looks pretty nice. Too bad it wasn't already included in the game since they charged full price for it when it had far too little content for a multiplayer only game.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
teebeeohh said:
10$ for three maps is too much. it's nice that they are not putting new modes and burn cards behind a paywall but i still don't get why we need more maps. the game has a shitton of maps, i played some rounds yesterday and suddenly the game load a map i had not seen in my 35 hours playing it.
(hey respawn, sell cosmetics for titans, i would totally pay to paint my titan pink)
Hey baby want to see my big pink titan?

OK I have been outdone by captcha

tastes good

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
teebeeohh said:
From what I have heard from them at PAX, they made it seem like there would be burn cards included with this map pack, as well. Also, the ability to at least somewhat customize your titan is coming, but I am unsure if that is something being included with this map pack. But they also said no new weapons are coming. The game is fun, and I really enjoyed the hell out of it when it first came out. However, some of the challenges are just ridiculous, and even though they reduced the gooser challenge to 5, I have been stuck at 4 kills for over three weeks now, and its seriously killing any drive I have to play the game.

Add to that the fact that with no single player campaign, this really should have been the most customizable game you have ever seen in your life. Instead, we get a small number of weapons, small number of mods, and thus far a complete lack of ability to personalize either our pilots or titans. This game truly could have been a powerful triple A title, in my opinion, but when you give us no single player campaign you lose a key point by not investing the players in the world, their surroundings, or the characters.

So, even loving the game as much as I did at the start, I held back on the season pass. I am still unsure what to do, at this point.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
teebeeohh said:
From what I have heard from them at PAX, they made it seem like there would be burn cards included with this map pack, as well. Also, the ability to at least somewhat customize your titan is coming, but I am unsure if that is something being included with this map pack. But they also said no new weapons are coming. The game is fun, and I really enjoyed the hell out of it when it first came out. However, some of the challenges are just ridiculous, and even though they reduced the gooser challenge to 5, I have been stuck at 4 kills for over three weeks now, and its seriously killing any drive I have to play the game.

Add to that the fact that with no single player campaign, this really should have been the most customizable game you have ever seen in your life. Instead, we get a small number of weapons, small number of mods, and thus far a complete lack of ability to personalize either our pilots or titans. This game truly could have been a powerful triple A title, in my opinion, but when you give us no single player campaign you lose a key point by not investing the players in the world, their surroundings, or the characters.

So, even loving the game as much as I did at the start, I held back on the season pass. I am still unsure what to do, at this point.
what annoys me most about the guns is not even the number, it's that they are so boring. After seeing the smart pistol i kinda hoped there would be more interesting guns in the game but instead we got 2smgs,2 assualt rifles, 2 sniper rifles, a shotgun and an lmg. why are all the cool weapons either mounted to titans or used to fight titans? why are there no swords or the titans(i mean seriously, when you give your giant robots hands instead of gun arms you are supposed to make swords an option)?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
gigastrike said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm convinced Titanfall is just one, big social experiment to see how much they can get people to pay for as little as possible.

The sad thing is: it's success will set the standard from here on out.
And I'm convinced Titanfall is one big social experiment to seeing how much hate a multiplayer only game can make while the developers be honest and sincere about making a game they enjoyed making even under the watchful electric fences of EA.

Honestly people, its a fucking map pack. If you weren't interested in getting it, why bother posting here at all?

EDIT: I'm convinced Respawn could give the people a puppy for free and people would STILL hate them.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
However, some of the challenges are just ridiculous, and even though they reduced the gooser challenge to 5, I have been stuck at 4 kills for over three weeks now, and its seriously killing any drive I have to play the game.
I got the gooser by having the nuclear explosion titan equipment with auto eject. I just played to max damage with that option and picked it up along the way. I even got two in one life that way.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
albino boo said:
Riff Moonraker said:
However, some of the challenges are just ridiculous, and even though they reduced the gooser challenge to 5, I have been stuck at 4 kills for over three weeks now, and its seriously killing any drive I have to play the game.
I got the gooser by having the nuclear explosion titan equipment with auto eject. I just played to max damage with that option and picked it up along the way. I even got two in one life that way.
? I'm not sure how the nuke titan perk or the auto eject helps with the gooser challenge. The gooser challenge is the gen 5 challenge the recently got nerfed from 50 kills to 5. But what you have to do is kill pilots that are ejecting from their titans. Your titan nuking wont work even if you kill nearby enemy titans, because killing the pilot in the titan doesnt count. They have to have ejected up in the air, and you have to kill them before they touch ground.

It sucks, too, because now I see ALOT of people bailing out of their titans, or if they DO eject, they automatically cloak and the window of time to hit them is almost impossible. Rodeoing them doesnt work nearly as well these days, either, because they will just jump out or smoke you. To make things even more frustrating, I only need 1 for the challenge, and 2 for the achievement, and my luck has just been baaaaaaad ever since I got to this point. Good example, I got in there to give it a shot again yesterday, and played a couple of matches. The tally? Three pilots I was in the process of killing after they ejected were killed by someone else going for the same thing. The icing on the cake? I watched an enemy pilot eject, and the angle was wrong for me to pop him with the chaingun, and I saw he was trying to come down on my back. I figured, what the heck, I will try something crazy, and I punched at him juuust before he got to me. I crushed him, turned him into powder. After he ejected from his doomed titan, before he touched the ground or me (unless my fist counts as touching the ground?) and yet... that DIDNT COUNT. Its enough to steal the fun out of the game, at this point.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
? I'm not sure how the nuke titan perk or the auto eject helps with the gooser challenge. The gooser challenge is the gen 5 challenge the recently got nerfed from 50 kills to 5. But what you have to do is kill pilots that are ejecting from their titans. Your titan nuking wont work even if you kill nearby enemy titans, because killing the pilot in the titan doesnt count. They have to have ejected up in the air, and you have to kill them before they touch ground.

It sucks, too, because now I see ALOT of people bailing out of their titans, or if they DO eject, they automatically cloak and the window of time to hit them is almost impossible. Rodeoing them doesnt work nearly as well these days, either, because they will just jump out or smoke you. To make things even more frustrating, I only need 1 for the challenge, and 2 for the achievement, and my luck has just been baaaaaaad ever since I got to this point. Good example, I got in there to give it a shot again yesterday, and played a couple of matches. The tally? Three pilots I was in the process of killing after they ejected were killed by someone else going for the same thing. The icing on the cake? I watched an enemy pilot eject, and the angle was wrong for me to pop him with the chaingun, and I saw he was trying to come down on my back. I figured, what the heck, I will try something crazy, and I punched at him juuust before he got to me. I crushed him, turned him into powder. After he ejected from his doomed titan, before he touched the ground or me (unless my fist counts as touching the ground?) and yet... that DIDNT COUNT. Its enough to steal the fun out of the game, at this point.
I did enough damage so the other guy punched out a few seconds after me so he got caught in the blast. I used the chain gun with extended mag and kept firing at the red crit areas and didn't bother to dodge missile fire or avoid electric smoke. I just bored in and kept firing till I blew.

Massively off topic: I just noticed, I went to school with your avatar.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Terminate421 said:
Except rEAspawn isn't giving away free puppies.

I meant they COULD AT SOME POINT and people, like you, would still complain, even if it was free. Also how fucking clever, putting EA into Respawn's name. it's about as clever as Micro$oft. In other words it isn't clever at all!

Besides who doesn't want a free puppy?

This isn't some blind following I have for the developers, this is me literally asking why hate on something completely OPTIONAL to purchase. If you don't like the game, why bother posting here at all? Why bother reading this article? This is for people that WANT to know about the upcoming map pack that the may have the intent of purchasing.

EA are greedy, we know, we have known for years. Putting jabs at them won't change the situation, it won't make you look smarter, cooler, or funnier. We have professional comedians to do that for us (Sterling makes better jokes about this IMO).

Its mystifying that this topic at all should be getting hate. It's an add-on to a game that if you enjoy enough of the game, you would buy it. It's simple, there is no man at the control switch guiding you or a figure behind the curtain hiding something. So far I want new maps for my game, I'll buy them. I am happy to try them out. SIMPLE ISN'T IT.