Jason Returns For New Friday The 13th TV Series

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Jason Returns For New Friday The 13th TV Series

"He's back. The man behind the mask."
-- Alice Cooper

2013/14's weirdest unexpected TV trend? Longform dramas based around popular horror movie characters. We've already seen series based around Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, Dracula and even The Headless Horseman thus far; and now the king of the 1980s teen-slashers is following them to the small screen: Jason Voorhees will return in a new hourlong series based on Friday the 13th.

Mainly (but not exclusively) focused on a succession of multiple-murders occuring at Camp Crystal Lake, the Friday franchise debuted in 1980. Jason, however, did not become the main character until the sequel and didn't take his iconic form - an invincible, emotionless, unstoppable murder-machine in a hockey mask - until Part 3. He later became a full-fledged zombie in Part 6: Jason Lives and a cyborg in the future-set Jason X.

The series will reportedly take it's cue from mystery/mythology series like Sleepy Hollow or American Horror Story, and will be set in a contemporary Crystal Lake where the unexpected reappearance of Jason leads characters to delve into the dark history of the Voorhees Family and the town itself. It has not been revealed whether or how the series will "fit" with the continuity of the original series or the largely forgotten one-off reboot of the franchise from 2009. A previous TV series from 1987 was related to the films in name only, and did not feature Jason.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/friday-the-13th-scares-up-hourlong-series/]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
You know, I think this could work. Just have him pop up once or twice a show for a brazen murder or sighting while the rest of the show is character building and the slow uncovering of evidence.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I... WHAT?
Now that I have that out of the way... um... knowing little about the character or the movies... I don't know how to take this.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i dunno how this one would work. i'd say the closest comparison so far would be the headless horseman, but i haven't seen that series yet. i didn't mind bates motel, but i wasn't hugely drawn in to be honest. hannibal on the other hand is awesome, and if this show comes close to that standard, i'll be happy.

needless to say, at least it's not another jason film...

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
Just stop, please television producers. They made too many movie versions now they are just going to beat this dead horse on TV.

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
I would be more up for this than the new found footage friday the 13th film they are talking about.