Mad Max "Magnum Opus" Trailer Quietly Reveals Delay To 2015

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mad Max "Magnum Opus" Trailer Quietly Reveals Delay To 2015

That scag and his floozy - they're gonna die. But not until next year.

I'm starting to get a little nervous about the Mad Max game. Actually, scratch that; I've been a little nervous about it from the moment it was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124862-Mad-Max-Goes-Open-World-in-2014]. It immediately struck me as the kind of thing that could be great, but was more likely to be abysmally bad, a cheap cash-in on a name that ultimately ends up having virtually nothing to do with the burning roads of Australia a few years from now.

More recently, it's the apparent lack of progress on the game that has me concerned. As far as I know it's never had a solid release date but it was expected out sometime this year. Yet here we are with a new trailer, and the accompanying text says the game is "set to release in 2015." That's still not an actual release date in the strictest sense of the term, but it's definitely a delay.

As for the trailer itself, it's not exactly blowing my doors off either. It lays down the most basic setup for the game - a bunch of guys from Rage steal Max's car, so now he needs a new one - but the path from there to uber-interceptor remains shrouded in mystery. Even more alarmingly, it carries the logo of West Coast Customs [http://www.westcoastcustoms.com/], a real-life car customization company based in California that's building a Mad Max Magnum Opus car for its television show.

None of this screams, "Mad Max is doomed!" but it does leave me feeling vaguely pessimistic about the whole thing. Let's face it: If you're hooking up with a reality show to build cars while your game is delayed by as much as a year, maybe your priorities aren't arrayed quite as they should be.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
The fact they only chose to give Max an Australian accent after fan uproar has all but killed my enthusiasm for this game.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That's "magnum opus". Opus is of neutral gender (neutrum/neuter), despite ending in -us, just like virus, for example.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I was somewhat excited for this game, as it kind of resembled RAGE and I loved The Road Warrior as a kid. Now that I see the West Coast Customs plug and year-ish delay, I don't have much hope for it.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
A delay of this length, this far into the development process, is never good. Doing while you're busy dicking around with some tattooed idiot bullshit show? That risks tumbling over into full-on ugly. And unless I'm mistaken, we still haven't seen a single frame of actual gameplay. It's way too soon to write it off, but I think concern - maybe even a bit of worry - is fully warranted.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
That looks awful.

Looks like a ripoff of every other car combat game ever made with Mad Max's name stapled on.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
i cant wait till this comes out !! why ??? its a mad max game thats set in California and without the interceptor that premise itself has me grabbing my popcorn and geting ready for a sewage filled log flume ride.

i am not happy about this wait ! they might fix it god dammit! .... bwahahaha nah they wont.

who knows it could even be better than that groundbreaking Rambo game that came out a lil bit ago.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Please please paleease be as awesome as you can be! Was really holding out hope for this one.
We should send in the boys to give the developers some much needed motivation methinks

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Huh? Where does it say that it's delayed to 2015? There's no date mentioned in the video nor description, the game's website has "The world goes mad 2014", the developers site still says "Coming 2014" and the linked store page also has it listed as 2014.

The devs behind this are great and should be able to pull off a good Mad Max game, still going to wait for some proper gameplay footage though.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I'm confused about this as well. IGN has a similar article on their site, with a video in their own player, so we know it hasn't been changed. Yet I can't find a single clue about anything to do with 2015

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The date is in the press release accompanying the video.

"Set to release in 2015, Mad Max delivers open world gameplay in a post-apocalyptic setting where cars are the key to survival. Developed by Avalanche Studios, gamers become Mad Max, a lone warrior who must fight to stay alive in The Wasteland, using vicious on-ground and vehicular combat against savage gangs of bandits. Following the theft of his iconic Interceptor, Max must align himself with a gifted, but peculiar, mechanic named Chumbucket and others to build the ultimate war vehicle as he works to escape from the dangerous Wasteland."

It's also dated 2015 on the Mad Max website. (https://madmaxgame.com/en/)