Lucasfilm Makes It Official: Star Wars: Expanded Universe Is Dead

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Lucasfilm Makes It Official: Star Wars: Expanded Universe Is Dead

Episode VII will begin a new canon, and the post-Jedi EU isn't part of it

This was a foregone conclusion the moment Disney/Lucasfilm announced new Star Wars sequels, but one imagines some fans will still be angry anyway. Today, with a post to StarWars.com, [http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html] the powers that be put the hammer down: Episode's VII and beyond will not conform to the Expanded Universe's version of what came next for Luke, Han, Leia, etc; and The EU is no more.

The Expanded Universe is the general term given to stories set in the Star Wars Universe outside of the films, beginning with spin-off novels in the late 70s and continuing up through role-playing games, comics and videogames for several decades. For a time they were widely considered to form an "official/unofficial" canon with the films, and George Lucas even had to officially make certain characters and periods off-limits in order to not muddy the waters during the making of the Prequels.

While novels, comics, animated series, TV shows, games etc will continue to be set before, during, after and parallel-to current and future Star Wars films; they will now do so in the context of an official unified canon maintained by an official Lucasfilm Story Group, which will also decide which characters and concepts from the former EU can be repurposed by future filmmakers and authors; while the original Expanded Universe books themselves will continue to be published under the new banner "Star Wars: Legends."

Source: StarWars.com [http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html]

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousands of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something TOTALLY AWESOME has happened."

Nah, just kidding with ya. But in honesty, saw this coming, as I'm sure many people have. Now I'm interested in the new trilogy.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I really don't see why this is a big deal.

So what, the extra stuff no longer match to one official fictional history. It's no like the stories fade from existance, they still exist and are still great.

Hell most of the best DC comics are Elseworlds. All Star Superman, Red Son, Kingdom Come, etc

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This is an outrage! I am organizing an immediate.... eh, who am I kidding, I gave up caring at Ep 1.

jaymiechan

Jun 27, 2012
i can't help but hold out hope that, just like Coruscant, one EU element that will be 'repurposed' is Mara Jade.
Captcha: i want control <-trying to tell me something here?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
For the fans, cannon is what they want it to be. If anything Disney are retarded to not dip into all those EU characters and stories. Now if SW7 sucks arse originality wise then they will look worse off.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Wait, so they're no longer considering them canon but they're going to keep publishing new books anyways? I can't see that ending up being confusing to anybody.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Well glad I wasted a bunch of my time. Now I know how Star Trek fans feel about their franchise on being two movies.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
It's hard to get upset over something that is little more than fanfiction being declared non-canon.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Wait, so no Kyle Katarn? He is the best thing about the post-Return of The Jedi stuff.

[small]God-fucking-dammit.[/small]

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Well, it's not like we didn't all see this coming, but still. Childhood RUINED.

It's not like the core Star Wars fanbase matters when your movie is so large that its name alone guarantees you a massive profit, but I still feel like this is gauche.

DaVash

Oct 18, 2008
seen this coming rip Thrawn (hopefully they put him back into the canon and not screw him up) /vong

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ronack said:
J.J. Abrams's movies won't be canon either, so who cares.
Can we apply this logic to the prequels as well? It would be killing two birds with one stone.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'll join in with numerous (though a minority) other down-to-earth fans: Called it. After all, three words: Death Star creation.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
We lost a couple of gems but overall, considering a huge chunk of the EU is absolute shit imo, I honestly think it's for the best. Instead of having to follow the ungodly web that was the EU canon they can do something that (hopefully) is good.

And if it sucks then at least it's living up to the prequels legacy anyways.