SPOILER: High Profile X-men Character to Die in Upcoming Comic Arc

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SPOILER: High Profile X-men Character to Die in Upcoming Comic Arc

A certain "unkillable" X-man will draw his final breath in an upcoming comic arc.

When it comes to the X-men, one particular character has a reputation of being pretty hard to put down. Wolverine, with his healing mutant ability, is a seemingly immortal character, remaining a constant throughout time while other characters have bitten the dust. But it seems like even Wolverine's luck is about to run out, as a comic arc that saw him lose his healing power is due to come to a grisly end.

The storyline will eventually lead to the September 2014 four-issue weekly limited series titled "Death of Wolverine" by creators Charles Soule and Steve McNiven. Death of Wolverine #1 hits on September 3, and the next three issues of the series will follow every week ensuing, climaxing with Death of Wolverine #4 on September 24.

Michael Marts, an executive editor at Marvel overseeing the project, explains that the idea to kill off one of the most iconic characters in comic books emerged out of Marvel's semi-annual creative retreat, when Marvel writers and editors come together to discuss major projects. "For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he's been the eternal victor," says Marts. "He almost always comes out on top. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight. What does that mean for this character who's been around for hundreds of years?"

While the concept of "death" in comic books can be pretty flimsy, Marts says he wants Wolverine's death to matter, and have an actual impact on the rest of the Marvel line. "You're gonna be entering into a world without Wolverine. That affects not only his teammates, but also the Marvel Universe at large. We've got a lot of things in the works already."

"I hope that when people finish it, they'll feel like he died in a way that was true to him," says writer Charles Soule.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/25/death-wolverine-marvel-exclusive/]

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Alright, taking all bets guys. How long do we think this is actually gonna keep this time?

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Infernai said:
Alright, taking all bets guys. How long do we think this is actually gonna keep this time?
Maybe a little longer than the most recent Spider-Man death.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Remember when they killed off Steve Rogers?
Remember when they killed off Peter Parker?
Remember when they killed off Jason Todd?
Remember when they killed off Brian Griffin?

We know this song well enough to sing along, now.

dWhisper

Dec 16, 2013
Infernai said:
Until sales of the titles he was part of dip for more than two months in a row.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I'll be optimistic... I'll give him a year before they bring him back.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i like him but won't really mind if they leave him dead how long has he been alive for

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hmmmmm.....

Anyone who buys this...is really needing to read some more comic books.
Honestly how can ANYONE buy that they will kill anyone off permanently?

Also how will any team work...I thought every team in Marvel needed Wolverine?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
yeah, there's no freaking way that's gonna stick. Kill off one of the most popular and marketable characters in all of Marvel? Methinks this is going to bite them pretty hard in the coming year

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That's a serious undertaking. Pity it'll probably only take a little while for someone to revive him in a bullshit way.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Aiddon said:
yeah, there's no freaking way that's gonna stick. Kill off one of the most popular and marketable characters in all of Marvel? Methinks this is going to bite them pretty hard in the coming year
Well, they did kill off one of the most popular and marketable characters in all of Marvel and replace him with one of his villains for a few months in order to piss of his fans as much as possible and ride off the ensuing controversy as a lame and cheap attempt to boost sales because they lack any ability to actually write good stories anymore before they brought him back anyway, so I don't think this is much of a stretch.

They might do this, but Wolverine will be back within a year tops anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So is this supposed to be some sort of big thing then? Cos it doesnt feel that way to me. All im getting is "yeah, sorry, we just a bit fed up and out of ideas at mo. Kill 'im off for a bit, till we get summin' fresh.
Hugh Jackman will be oblivious.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The only way I would care is if this were secretly a crossover with the "Deadpool Kills" series, where it turns out that "Deadpool kills Wolverine. FOR REAL!" to appease his girlfriend (death)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
No shit, one of the most popular and profitable characters just dies for real. Yeah, right. Also, pigs fly, I can throw fireballs and Gearbox aren't filthy pieces of crap.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I never quite understood the appeal in comics to announce what the outcome of a story would be or what characters would die. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of storytelling? It isn't like anyone stays dead in comics anyway.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
He'll be killed by the common cold and Morgan Freeman will narrate his death. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.