E.T. Cartridges Found in New Mexico Landfill After 30 Years

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
E.T. Cartridges Found in New Mexico Landfill After 30 Years

One of gaming's biggest urban legends has turned out to be true.

Anyone with even a faint interested in video games will no doubt be aware of the great market crash of 1983, which was reportedly so bad that it led to Atari burying thousands of unsold copies of E.T - The Extra Terrestrial in a New Mexico landfill, or so goes the urban legend. Today, that story is a myth no more, as construction workers have unearthed the legendary cache of video games in the New Mexico desert.

Witness the glorious unmasking of an urban legend below:

[gallery=2402]

The dig, which was sponsored by Xbox Entertainment Studio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133509-E-T-Atari-2600-Cartridge-Dig-in-New-Mexico-Cleared-to-Begin], saw Microsoft partnering up with a documentary team to dig into the dirt and film the results. The documentary, which will focus on the changing landscape of the video game industry, is expected to come out next year, and it is part of a broader push by Microsoft to produce original video content for Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners.

The pictures come courtesy of Microsoft's Major Nelson [https://twitter.com/majornelson?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fe-t-found-in-new-mexico-landfill-1568100161&tw_i=460136737944399872&tw_p=tweetembed], who says that a substantial amount of cartridges were unearthed, and weren't just limited to E.T. - Centipede, Space Invaders, and Asteroids game boxes were also discovered in the landfill.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-atari-dig?linkId=8077507]

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Finally! After all these years we have an answer. The legend is true! I wonder if this will open some doors for other video game legend investigations.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Anyone with even a faint interested in video games will know no doubt be aware of the great market crash of 1983, which was reportedly so bad...
Fixed that sentence for you...sorry, gotta do something with my English degree. :p

OT: Really is pretty neat that the story didn't turn out to be a bunch of hogwash. I wonder what the AVGN is going to do about his movie now... :3

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I wonder if those cartridges are still playable after all those decades buried underground...

Ah, who am I kidding? They were never playable to begin with.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
I wonder if those cartridges are still playable after all those decades buried underground...

ZING!

I remember being very young and trying y hardest to make sense of this game and Raiders of the Lost Arc, failing miserably at both. I think I spent an entire summer trying to get somewhere with those games but they were, as I recall, very cryptic, and as I'd learned decades later on the internet, broken as hell.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
Also, didn't expect them to find this so quickly. Or is time moving so fast?
I could be wrong, but last i heard anything on this search was in Janurary.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I wondered what that gigantic pillar of fire that erupted towards the west and summoned demonic creatures of evil was all about.

You monsters. You uncovered the Unspeakable's Tomb! Don't you know its cursed?!?!?!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Brian Tams said:
I wondered what that gigantic pillar of fire that erupted towards the west and summoned demonic creatures of evil was all about.

You monsters. You uncovered the Unspeakable's Tomb! Don't you know its cursed?!?!?!
It believed to Tsathoggua, not Hastur. Note which Old One ET looks more like...

And on that note, ALL IS LOST! ALL IS...uhhh... Actually, Old Thoggy's kinda' the laziest Great Old One around.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Brian Tams said:

That's the EA annual picnic, what you're looking for is the giant purple void in space time spitting out Eldritch Horrors slightly to the south (look for the lightning bolts, it's hard to miss). Easy to get them confused so don't worry about it.

Anyway I'm amazed this turned out to be true and wonder what they're going to do with all those old games or even the site. I don't know about anyone else but if they set up a little museum or monument at the site I'd sure as hell visit.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
They belong in a museum landfill! Well at least now that they have dug them up there is plenty of space in there for WiiUs :p

Any reports on any faces being melted off?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Future generations will lament this day as the day the ancient evil was unsealed and unleashed upon the world.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
They belong in a museum landfill! Well at least now that they have dug them up there is plenty of space in there for WiiUs :p

Really? You couldn't have gone the XboxOne Route?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Epicspoon said:
CriticalMiss said:

Really? You couldn't have gone the XboxOne Route?
No need to fight; I'm sure there's plenty of space in there for the both of them. Of course, this begs that question of what they're going to do with all these boxes and cartridges now that they've dug them up. Now that we've got them does anyone really want them?

Also, I note from the pictures that E.T. wasn't the only game title buried. Centipede didn't sell?

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Anyone with even a faint interested in video games will know no doubt be aware of the great market crash of 1983, which was reportedly so bad...
Fixed that sentence for you...sorry, gotta do something with my English degree. :p

OT: Really is pretty neat that the story didn't turn out to be a bunch of hogwash. I wonder what the AVGN is going to do about his movie now... :3
And yet you missed "interested".

So what were they trying to accomplish in burying these cartridges, anyway?

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
I bet the members of the 2600 homebrew scene are wetting themselves in glee. The only way to play custom games on the 2600 was to overwrite the data of a normal cartridge, this would give them a MASSIVE amount of material for that.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Kmadden2004 said:

Obvious burn aside, I'm betting some of them will still operate. ;) Cartridges are tough to kill.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Say what you want about the 80's gaming industry, but folks back then really knew how to print a box. The ink hardly faded at all!

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Good now we have a pre-dug hole to put Duke Nukem forever, let 2050 deal with it.

I'm also curious to see if any of the cartridges still work.