See Studio Ghibli's 8-Bit Glory In Artist's Tribute

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
See Studio Ghibli's 8-Bit Glory In Artist's Tribute

Graphic artist Richard Evans put this together to celebrate The Wind Rises, but his kid will probably also benefit.

When Studio Ghibli's latest, fictionalized aviation biopic The Wind Rises, hit the UK, graphic artist Richard J. Evans decided to celebrate it with a project he'd long been considering: an 8-bit tribute to the animation studio's finest. Feast your eyes! Me, I'm a Porco Rosso fan, but there's something here for everyone.

[gallery=2404]

Evans has ulterior motives, naturally. "My wife and I are expecting our first child, and I thought that these would be cool illustrations to go on the wall in the baby's room," says he. "Hopefully, it will help get the kid into Studio Ghibli, too. I also bought the baby a cuddly Totoro toy; I'm trying to hook 'em young."

Now there's something every child could wish for. It's just so odd to think that, as this kid grows, the man who epitomizes the studio's work more than anyone, Hayao Miyazaki [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127382-Hayao-Miyazaki-Ghiblis-Anime-Legend-Retires-at-72], will have long retired. It was always going to happen sometime, of course; that doesn't make the thought of it any easier to contemplate.

Want to see more of Evans' work? Head over here [http://www.behance.net/RichEvans].

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/2014/04/studio-ghibli-8-bit/#slide-id-781361]

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I'm underwhelmed. These are just screenshots or movie posters from those movies, scaled down to 8 bit. I'd have wanted to see a bit more effort put into it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
bartholen said:
I'm underwhelmed. These are just screenshots or movie posters from those movies, scaled down to 8 bit. I'd have wanted to see a bit more effort put into it.
Yeah, a lot of these look like screen shots he just put through a pixel filter on an image hosting site. I'm sure he made them himself, but that doesn't stop it from giving off that impression.

It looks nice and all, but there's no real unique spark to it.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
bartholen said:
I don't see why 'a bit more effort' would foster more validity to these pieces.

Is 8-bit art tasteless, or unfitting to Miyazaki's style? To any animated film style? Did you expect the artist to create an original scene out of the world of Miyazaki's movies?

I know 8-bit renditions are rather common-place these days too, but even if the process is common or 'easy', I don't think art's appeal necessarily lies in the labor to make it.

Then agian, I won't claim to know what makes these pieces 'good', per say. I do find them appealing, however.