Dark Souls Studio Acquired by Killer is Dead Publisher

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dark Souls Studio Acquired by Killer is Dead Publisher

Dark Souls studio From Software has been picked up by Japanese publisher Kadokawa.

Japanese publisher Kadokawa, best-known for publishing off-beat Japanese titles Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead, has picked up Dark Souls developer From Software. The publisher announced the acquisition today, stating that it aims to take advantage of the developer's worldwide influence.

From Software, which also produces the Armored Core and Tenchu series, will now work alongside Kadokawa Games, the company's existing video game subsidiary, with a degree of autonomy. The two companies will assist each other when it comes to development and marketing.

Of the acquisition, Kadokawa says that it plans to expand to new game platforms, overseas markets and more digital platforms, through the production of new video game IPs.

Dark Souls II, which was released to commercial success [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11097-Dark-Souls-II-Review-Dark-Souls-Refined]. It was no doubt this success that led to the acquisition.

As for what it means for the company, well, hopefully Kadokawa is smart enough to simply let From Software keep doing its thing, and develop the kind of titles it wants to develop.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216330/Dark_Souls_studio_From_Software_acquired_by_Kadokawa.php]

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I feel like No More Heros is a better know title than Killer is dead. Anyways, Kadokawa is really a great studio and I look forward to hearing how the two studios collaborate.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I think it works well for both, even though Konami didnt seem to do much wrong with From Software I think Kadokawa wont involve much on the process either since they already have quite some unique quality niche games under their releases.

They cant publish a new Dark Souls game, right? Doesnt the IP belong to Konami? Is this going to be the same as with Demons Souls and Dark Souls or is From just supposed to do entirely new stuff that doesnt have anything to do with the Souls series, Tenchu or Armored Core (or even Kings Field)?

misg

Apr 13, 2013
Maybe we'll get lollipop chainsaw port to the pc, I personally would really enjoy that. But I'm guessing kadokawa is seeing the value of going international instead of simply focusing on Japan, it's probably the experience they want mostly.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Hmmm, maybe now we might get an official import of the most [bandit_keith]AMERICAN[/bandit_keith] game ever made, Metal Wolf Chaos!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I really don't know anything about this studio, but I think it's safe to say we won't have to worry too much about them limiting creative freedom.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
josemlopes said:
I think it works well for both, even though Konami didnt seem to do much wrong with From Software I think Kadokawa wont involve much on the process either since they already have quite some unique quality niche games under their releases.

They cant publish a new Dark Souls game, right? Doesnt the IP belong to Konami? Is this going to be the same as with Demons Souls and Dark Souls or is From just supposed to do entirely new stuff that doesnt have anything to do with the Souls series, Tenchu or Armored Core (or even Kings Field)?
No From Software made sure they own the copyright of Dark Souls, unlike Demon Souls, which is owned by Sony. And Namco Bandai is only a publisher for Dark Souls for international distribution, for local distribution, From Software publish themselves.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
iniudan said:
josemlopes said:

No From Software made sure they own the copyright of Dark Souls, unlike Demon Souls, which is owned by Sony. And Namco Bandai is only a publisher for Dark Souls for international distribution, for local distribution, From Software publish themselves.
My mistake, I thought it was Konami

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
As long as froam keep the rights to dark souls and have creative freedom in that area it will be fine , if they screw with dark souls then they will die a thousand deaths.

I did not know froam published itself in japan thats interesting , you would think in this modern age of digital distribution they could get rid of bandi namco and just distribute digitally in the west, more phat profit to spend on chrisps and higher res textures :)

A new kings field would be cool! I have yet to get my hands on a copy in the UK its so frigging expensive over here.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Cool, if their work with Suda 51 is any indicator these guys are very much hands off and open to risks. That will certainly open up many doors to From if they ever decide to diverge onto new franchises.

It's a shame they insured the rights to the Darks Souls IP this time around, honestly, I would have preferred they lose it with this acquisition. We can all agree their need to recreate Demons Souls into Dark was arguably their best contribution to the series. Imagine, what they could have done with a fresh palette again (barring the Game Directors leaving) as opposed to the double dipping we got with DS II.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Frankly, I wouldn't mind either way if they made a Dark Souls III or {blank} Souls at this point, assuming that they are planning to evolve the formula one way or the other.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Kadowkawa lets devs make the games they want to make. I think I can safely say that I am cool with this.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
So does this mean the likelihood of Suda 51 being one of the art directors for Dark Souls 3 is a possible thing? Cause 2 needed a better art direction, so they might as well reach out for something insane in the membrane.

Otherwise this is great news, definitely a trust worthy publisher.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Japanese publisher Kadokawa, best-known for publishing off-beat Japanese titles Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead, has picked up Dark Souls developer From Software.
This statement is only half-correct, actually. They're known in the west for publishing games. In Japan, though, they are a huge manga and light novel publisher, which is where most of their income is from. They're only recently really moving into the video game market. They've published, among plenty others, very popular works like Haruhi Suzumiya, Welcome to the NHK, and Code Geass.

But, yeah, I've heard that they do give their non-in-house studios like Suda 51 lots of creative freedom and aren't as pushy as, say, EA and nearly every other Western developer, or even Namco Bandai or Capcom. So far, at least.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
hopefully this means from cant use dark souls anymore and will have to create a new universe. i want some fresh new lore for the next souls title

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, at least we can be sure this aquisition wont result in another merciless smothering of a spark of greatness.

So assuming FROM doesnt own the Dark Souls IP, i guess theres going to be a third Souls franchise in 2017 or so.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
it'll be interesting to see where this goes. I do wonder what this means for Dark Souls since it's published by FS in Japan, but worldwide Namco has the rights.