Satoru Iwata Asserts Nintendo is More Than Just Video Games

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Satoru Iwata Asserts Nintendo is More Than Just Video Games

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata elaborates further on the company's planned "Quality of Life" platform and how it's more than a video game company.

In January Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata revealed the company will expand into different territory through a "Quality of Life" program [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131807-New-Nintendo-Platform-Will-Release-in-2015-16]. In an interview with Diamond.jp, Iwata clarified that Nintendo is more than a video game company.

"A lot of people around the world think Nintendo is solely a company that makes video games, and I believe more and more of our employees have started thinking this way," Iwata said. "Some employees in charge of development find themselves in positions where all they are thinking about is how they can make the game in front of them more fun, so I don't think it can be helped if others outside of our company see us the same way."

Iwata reflected on mantras from Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo. "Yamauchi always said, 'Nintendo is an entertainment company and should never be anything else,' but he didn't necessarily think 'entertainment equals video games,'" Iwata said.

After thinking over Yamauchi's words over the New Year's holiday break, Iwata came to the conclusion that Nintendo is more than just games, but the company is committed to the idea of "fun." The Quality of Life platform is expected to launch in the 2016 fiscal year. Iwata believes entertainment improves people's quality of life once basic needs have been met.

"At the start of this year, I finally figured that the concept of 'improving people's quality of life with fun,' with emphasis on the 'fun,' would be perfect for Nintendo," he said. "And that's why I decided to focus on this during the financial results meeting in January."

Nintendo's had a long history in entertainment and hasn't been afraid to try new things. The company remains committed to making games, but more could be in store.

Source: CVG [http://diamond.jp/articles/-/52232]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Serious question, does Nintendo make something other than video games? Otherwise saying some of their employees have 'started' to believe that Nintendo is a company that makes video games seems like a delusional complaint.

This whole thing sounds like an Onion article 'Loser in the current console wars starts complaining that people think they make video games'

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
At least it's not "our system isn't just video games, it's a multimedia hub" bullshit the others have tried selling us repeatedly. Sounds like he's just taking video games seriously and passionately, especially the part where they're supposed to be fun.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Icehearted said:
At least it's not "our system isn't just video games, it's a multimedia hub" bullshit the others have tried selling us repeatedly. Sounds like he's just taking video games seriously and passionately, especially the part where they're supposed to be fun.
I think you might need to reread the article again

He said
"Some employees in charge of development find themselves in positions where all they are thinking about is how they can make the game in front of them more fun, so I don't think it can be helped if others outside of our company see us the same way."
he didn't necessarily think 'entertainment equals video games,'"
He was saying 'some of our staff think it's their job only to make fun videogames. They are mistaken.' Thats why it's so mystifying. It does sound exactly like the multimedia BS you were talking about but worse. I wouldn't be surprised if this was about Nintendo becoming a manufacturer of fitness products or something equally wonky

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
@BrotherRool
They're known for gimmicks, so more of those gimmicks isn't going to be unheard of. As for the hub thing it's a bit different since it looks like your implying a lot based on a vague statement he made with no mention of what we're talking about. Others just come out and say they have plans for being a hub; Sony has been doing this since the PlayStation 2 and Microsoft loves rubbing this vigorously into their Xbox Live sales pitches, and they're overt about it every time.

You look to assume a lot from a little, and he made no mention of being about bringing channels or Nintendo original programming to their consoles, cable streaming, shit like that.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Obviously, they're planning to go back into their old areas of expertise, from before Yamauchi made them a consumer electronics company. If they go back into making playing cards and running love hotels, just think what kinds of crossovers they could have with their current IPs!

/not actually being serious

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was about Nintendo becoming a manufacturer of fitness products or something equally wonky
It not really wonky in their book, Wii Fit was one of their best selling product and it sell quite a lot of people who wouldn't normally be part of their video games market. So they are planing to release more dedicated product for that new market.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I remember when people mocked Nintendo for saying they weren't in a competition with Microsoft and Sony, that they considered themselves in a different market and weren't worried about beating them. Gamers gave them such a thrashing on the internet.

Of course, they said that in regards to the Wii and DS, which went on to be immense successes that dwarfed all the competitors they disavowed.

Bottom line: people are quick to mock Nintendo, but they have a way of surprising the world.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
iniudan said:
BrotherRool said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was about Nintendo becoming a manufacturer of fitness products or something equally wonky
It not really wonky in their book, Wii Fit was one of their best selling product and it sell quite a lot of people who wouldn't normally be part of their video games market. So they are planing to release more dedicated product for that new market.
It's wonky in that the Wii Fit turned out to have virtually no real fitness benefit. 'It's slightly healthier then playing videogames' is the general suggestion.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/can-you-get-really-fit-with-wii-exercise-games

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Icehearted said:
@BrotherRool
They're known for gimmicks, so more of those gimmicks isn't going to be unheard of. As for the hub thing it's a bit different since it looks like your implying a lot based on a vague statement he made with no mention of what we're talking about. Others just come out and say they have plans for being a hub; Sony has been doing this since the PlayStation 2 and Microsoft loves rubbing this vigorously into their Xbox Live sales pitches, and they're overt about it every time.

You look to assume a lot from a little, and he made no mention of being about bringing channels or Nintendo original programming to their consoles, cable streaming, shit like that.
The point was he was deliberately saying they weren't intending to focus purely on videogames. I don't think that even fits with another Wii mote. Sure they might not want to get into TV but it was still the opposite of 'we just want to make fun videogames'

EDIT: Whoops sorry, should have edited that into my comment above

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Uh, The only products I've heard of Nintendo making in the last 30 years were video game software, video game hardware, and short lived tv show (plus a movie) spinoffs in the late 80s. If Iwata says they are an entertainment company, then he is either verbally diluting the image of Nintendo by saying that, believes foolishly that families are together enjoying the dust collection devices(Wii, Wii U) they're selling, or has crazy plans[footnote]This is about as likely as seeing an a guy riding an elephant down the interstate, so take it with a spoonful of salt.[/footnote] for more media offshoots such as tie-in shorts, full tv shows or films(*shudders*).

Hey, maybe hiring out a studio to make a mini-series or two would be a good, not great idea. People still remember the old franchises even if they switched to PC, Sony or, MS. It could spark that nostalgia center in their brains to want some Nintendo after seeing a 10 minute Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, etc. video based on Mario or Zelda. Then if Big N got over its "our IPs only on our systems" ideology long enough to let those shows be sold on the PSN and Xbox stores, they could basically advertise to their competitors instal base. It's a crazy, possibly stupid idea but companies have done stupider things.(Oh Hai, Microsoft. How that Windows 8 and Kinect doing?)

Either way Nintendo needs to show us some of this "entertainment" they've promised they're making.
BigTuk said:
Seriously though I foresee Nintendo going the route of Sega,. Face it... only reason anyone buys a Nintendo console is for the Hope of a New Good Mario, Zelda, Metroid game.
Naysayers will tell you your wrong. "Nintendo is richer than MS at its peak during the 90s." But, I agree. Ninty is starting to really on stagnating hardware and gimmicks just like mid 90's Sega. They even made a few poor business decisions[footnote]Nintendo creating the PlayStation and a competitor in Sony, through a botched deal that was their fault. Then loosing third party support with the expensive, low storage N64 carts and lost much of the remainder from sore partners from Big N's totalitarian NES and SNES days. Sega tried to keep the Genesis alive longer with overpriced add-ons and pissed off developers and retailers by surprise releasing the Saturn early at a few locations. Plus, they just sold a ton of 32Xes and lost the trust of customers when that was supported with only a couple dozen technologically obsolete games.[/footnote] just like Sega. Ninty just made a new system with marginally better specs and a new gimmick controller along with the old system's gimmick after that lost popularity.

Nintendo does have the chance to get back up Sega didn't. Their pocket book should be deep enough that something will click in the execs heads, and they stop driving away investors and publishers before the coffers are too empty to make some good comeback games.[footnote] A nice Metroid Wii U game might push me and others over the edge into "shut up and take my money" territory and help the install based somewhat.[/footnote]

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
For some ungodly reason, Nintendo seems to be trying to convince itself that what stands to be it's greatest strength as a company, is actually a weakness that needs to be rectified.

What on earth...

Nintendo! You ARE just about Video Games! In fact, you're the only one of the Big Three that actually made a dedicated Videogame Console this generation!

Now stop wasting your time and money on pointless side projects, have some purity of vision, and focus on what we ALL know you to be good at. The Wii U is failing because you haven't put the real 1st-Party knockouts on it yet - which you should damn well know by now is what really gets sales going.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Huh, that was an interesting story. No doubt that when Iwata says that, he is talking more about their mindset than anything else. Well let's take a look at the comments and

I'm not surprised anymore. As many Escapist users are not and probably will never be Nintendo's audience, I can understand some distaste. But there is a difference between a difference of taste and blind hatred, which is a whole lot of what I'm seeing here.

BigTuk said:
Typical CEO speak. Make the company sound like something it isn't. Make it sound like they aren't last place in their area of operation by simply stating that their area of operations is something else.

You can either call yourself a slow runner or a fast walker.

Doesn't change the fact that you're losing the race Nintendo. YOu went from a position of absolute dominance to pretty much last place. The delicious irony is that you created one of the companies that kicked you of your throne by screwing over Sony on a Business deal. Yup Nintendo, every day you see SOny's sales figures and yours it must kill them to know, that could have been them but they had to ditch Sony for Phillips and their Cd-i...LOL!

Seriously though I foresee Nintendo going the route of Sega,. Face it... only reason anyone buys a nintendo console is for the Hope of a New Good Mario, Zelda, Metroid game.
Are you quite finished with your hate jerking? The bile is getting everywhere and will take forever to clean up. Yes, Nintendo, for this console generation, is doing pretty poorly in hardware sales. And as we all know, the console races automatically kill any company that is in last place. Just like how Microsoft didn't make another console after the Xbox and Sony never made another console after the PS3. What's that? They did make another console AND said consoles are a success in hardware sales? YOU DON'T SAY! It's almost as if what your place is in one generation doesn't matter in the next.

And, before you start spurting out Nintendo's profit woes in a pathetic act of vindication of your opinion, the PS3 and the Xbox brand were financial disasters sales wise with neither making a profit until very recently. They're still around but if Nintendo does it, it's screwed? Please. Also, learn some history if you want to talk about Sega and you will see that their failure as a company is completely different to Nintendo.

BrotherRool said:
Serious question, does Nintendo make something other than video games? Otherwise saying some of their employees have 'started' to believe that Nintendo is a company that makes video games seems like a delusional complaint.

This whole thing sounds like an Onion article 'Loser in the current console wars starts complaining that people think they make video games'
It's more of a marketing mindset. Nintendo doesn't see itself selling its wares solely towards the standard "hardcore" gamer, though Nintendo does place some focus them as well. Nintendo has, especially in the last decade, focused their marketing attempts at expanded its audience by making non-gamers gamers. This ranges from children (Pokemon, Kirby), "casual" gamers (Wii Sports, Animal Crossing), and now people into fitness (Wii Fit, QOL). And this is a good thing, as a market will always shrink if you don't bring in fresh blood. Of course, whether or not the QOL will be a success remains to be seen, but this does showcase what Iwata means. Nintendo doesn't make profits solely by preaching to the choir, but also by making sure more people grow into gaming.

velcthulhu said:
Obviously, they're planning to go back into their old areas of expertise, from before Yamauchi made them a consumer electronics company. If they go back into making playing cards and running love hotels, just think what kinds of crossovers they could have with their current IPs!

/not actually being serious
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Nintendo still sells Hanafuda Cards and organizes Bridge tournaments so even though I'm still saying that its mindset more than matter, they are still technically an entertainment company over a pure video game company.

Hairless Mammoth said:
Uh, The only products I've heard of Nintendo making in the last 30 years were video game software, video game hardware, and short lived tv show (plus a movie) spinoffs in the late 80s. If Iwata says they are an entertainment company, then he is either verbally diluting the image of Nintendo by saying that, believes foolishly that families are together enjoying the dust collection devices(Wii, Wii U) they're selling, or has crazy plans[footnote]This is about as likely as seeing an a guy riding an elephant down the interstate, so take it with a spoonful of salt.[/footnote] for more media offshoots such as tie-in shorts, full tv shows or films(*shudders*).

Hey, maybe hiring out a studio to make a mini-series or two would be a good, not great idea. People still remember the old franchises even if they switched to PC, Sony or, MS. It could spark that nostalgia center in their brains to want some Nintendo after seeing a 10 minute Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, etc. video based on Mario or Zelda. Then if Big N got over its "our IPs only on our systems" ideology long enough to let those shows be sold on the PSN and Xbox stores, they could basically advertise to their competitors instal base. It's a crazy, possibly stupid idea but companies have done stupider things.(Oh Hai, Microsoft. How that Windows 8 and Kinect doing?)

Either way Nintendo needs to show us some of this "entertainment" they've promised they're making.
BigTuk said:
Seriously though I foresee Nintendo going the route of Sega,. Face it... only reason anyone buys a Nintendo console is for the Hope of a New Good Mario, Zelda, Metroid game.
Naysayers will tell you your wrong. "Nintendo is richer than MS at its peak during the 90s." But, I agree. Ninty is starting to really on stagnating hardware and gimmicks just like mid 90's Sega. They even made a few poor business decisions[footnote]Nintendo creating the PlayStation and a competitor in Sony, through a botched deal that was their fault. Then loosing third party support with the expensive, low storage N64 carts and lost much of the remainder from sore partners from Big N's totalitarian NES and SNES days. Sega tried to keep the Genesis alive longer with overpriced add-ons and pissed off developers and retailers by surprise releasing the Saturn early at a few locations. Plus, they just sold a ton of 32Xes and lost the trust of customers when that was supported with only a couple dozen technologically obsolete games.[/footnote] just like Sega. Ninty just made a new system with marginally better specs and a new gimmick controller along with the old system's gimmick after that lost popularity.

Nintendo does have the chance to get back up Sega didn't. Their pocket book should be deep enough that something will click in the execs heads, and they stop driving away investors and publishers before the coffers are too empty to make some good comeback games.[footnote] A nice Metroid Wii U game might push me and others over the edge into "shut up and take my money" territory and help the install based somewhat.[/footnote]
So...because of what Nintendo did during the N64 days means that now Nintendo's screwed. Right. While Sega's woes certainly started way before the Dreamcast, Nintendo has this little device known as the Wii that is throwing holes in your theory. The Wii was tremendously successful, compared to the dying Sega consoles. It's going to take at least two complete flops (A Virtua Boy Flop, Not a Wii U "flop") before we can say with confidence that Nintendo will fail.

EbonBehelit said:
For some ungodly reason, Nintendo seems to be trying to convince itself that what stands to be it's greatest strength as a company, is actually a weakness that needs to be rectified.

What on earth...

Nintendo! You ARE just about Video Games! In fact, you're the only one of the Big Three that actually made a dedicated Videogame Console this generation!

Now stop wasting your time and money on pointless side projects, have some purity of vision, and focus on what we ALL know you to be good at. The Wii U is failing because you haven't put the real 1st-Party knockouts on it yet - which you should damn well know by now is what really gets sales going.
New Super Mario Bros Wii U, New Super Mario Bros 3D World, The Wonderful 101, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, TANK! TANK! TANK!, Game and Wario. All these are out right now on the Wii U. And that's not including: Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame V, Mario Kart 8, Shin Meagmi Tensei X Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors, and more. If you do not want a Wii U, that's perfectly OK. You are no longer the target audience for the Wii U. But can we stop with the notion that Nintendo has no knock-out games yet? Or that Nintendo doesn't have quality games on the system? Because it does.

Oct 20, 2010
Are you familiar with the old Robot saying:

"DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

Nintendo = video-games

Anything made by nintendo for any other purpose baffles my mind, because my VERY first question will be: Cool, and which Mario Game can I play on it?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
xaszatm said:
And, before you start spurting out Nintendo's profit woes in a pathetic act of vindication of your opinion, the PS3 and the Xbox brand were financial disasters sales wise with neither making a profit until very recently. They're still around but if Nintendo does it, it's screwed? Please. Also, learn some history if you want to talk about Sega and you will see that their failure as a company is completely different to Nintendo.
To be fair, Sony and and Microsoft's survival was not based on their videogames division whereas Nintendo is, because their videogames division is kind of the entire business. Nintendo doesn't have TVs and Blu-Ray profits to fall back on like Sony nor does it have Windows profits to fall back on like Microsoft. If Sony or Microsoft's videogames divisions went under, the companies would post a loss and move on. Nintendo however would just collapse.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Wow.
Yahtzee and his buddy Gabriel joked a bunch about this very topic on their podcast, Yahtzee basically said something along the lines of "You wouldn't take a Nintendo branded fridge seriously unless you could play Mario on it."
That's exactly right, Nintendo has so much cultural cache as a video games company that anything else they tried to do would pretty much inevitably fail. That's not our fault though, you know, it's their fault for not diversifying sooner or trying too and failing. They found their niche and have become extremely successful but instead of being happy with that they say things like this? It brings too mind that whole "Pride before the fall" proverb.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Micalas said:
To be fair, Sony and and Microsoft's survival was not based on their videogames division whereas Nintendo is, because their videogames division is kind of the entire business. Nintendo doesn't have TVs and Blu-Ray profits to fall back on like Sony nor does it have Windows profits to fall back on like Microsoft. If Sony or Microsoft's videogames divisions went under, the companies would post a loss and move on. Nintendo however would just collapse.
Except that situation has changed now. MS is pretty much still the same, but the fact of the matter is that the 360 division has been one giant black hole for them. And considering how they STILL haven't made up for all those years in the red, the XBox has been a financial disaster in terms of sheer profit. With Sony, their situation is even worse. NONE of their divisions are making money. Electronics, film, televisions, they just sold their PC business. Sony Pictures is unreliable for profits consistently while the only division that makes money consistently is the PS division. If the PS division starts making losses again, Sony is in trouble, especially since their credit rating is junk now and they've been laying off people left and right, have the floundering Vita, and are selling BUILDINGS in order to make the black. They have nothing left.

And then you look at Nintendo. No layoffs (except for their recent restructuring of the Hong Kong division), no debts, and BILLIONS in the bank. It would take a failing a hundred times bigger than the Virtual Boy to even entertain the most remote possibility of Nintendo collapsing.

xaszatm said:
I'm not surprised anymore. As many Escapist users are not and probably will never be Nintendo's audience, I can understand some distaste. But there is a difference between a difference of taste and blind hatred, which is a whole lot of what I'm seeing here.
What always gets me about the bile is this: nobody is forcing people to do it. So why do they keep showing up, time and time again, BEATING us over the head with how much they hate Nintendo, want them to go away, and are still angry that Nintendo didn't pander to them? We get it, you didn't like the Wii, DS, 3DS, and Wii U, you've said your 2 cents now LEAVE. Stop hanging out in the lobby just to irritate people who DO enjoy Nintendo. It makes no sense.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Aiddon said:
What always gets me about the bile is this: nobody is forcing people to do it. So why do they keep showing up, time and time again, BEATING us over the head with how much they hate Nintendo, want them to go away, and are still angry that Nintendo didn't pander to them? We get it, you didn't like the Wii, DS, 3DS, and Wii U, you've said your 2 cents now LEAVE. Stop hanging out in the lobby just to irritate people who DO enjoy Nintendo. It makes no sense.
Probably a combination of self loathing and the annoyance people feel over Nintendo's decisions over the last few years. I'll let you in a secret: I want to buy a Nintendo console. I really do. But I'm pretty sure hell will freeze over before I do. Why?

xaszatm said:
New Super Mario Bros Wii U, New Super Mario Bros 3D World, The Wonderful 101, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, TANK! TANK! TANK!, Game and Wario. All these are out right now on the Wii U. And that's not including: Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame V, Mario Kart 8, Shin Meagmi Tensei X Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors, and more.
So that's what? Sequels sequels and more sequels. Three Mario games. Platformers and jrpgs. The outliers on that list are Shin Meagmi Tensei X Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame V, and TANK! TANK! TANK! That's fine and dandy for you but I remember a magical time called "The Gamecube" era where Nintendo invested in different genres and made games with some meat in addition to the colorful "kids to adults" games and *gasp* actually released 3rd party titles on their console that wasn't centered around the latest gimmick. Most Nintendo fans cite that as the time Nintendo didn't make any money and clearly the Wii made money which means it was great console regardless of the motion-control crippled, shite that came out on it. Do you think people would be buying XB1's, PS4's, and gaming pc's if Nintendo actually made a console that had the same 3rd party titles and a diverse catalog of Nintendo first party titles?