First Look at the Sailor Moon Crystal Character Designs

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
First Look at the Sailor Moon Crystal Character Designs

Sailor Moon Crystal, the new Sailor Moon anime, will begin airing July 5 and will be simulcast worldwide.

From Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi's manga to the 1992 anime adaptation to the upcoming 2014 anime, the Sailor Moon characters' appearances have changed. Following the announcement of the show's new cast, the official website revealed the first character designs.

[gallery=2408]

Sailor Moon Crystal, the name of the new anime, is not a remake of the original anime but an adaptation more aligned with Takeuchi's manga. Even the character designs resemble the more mature style of the manga. Characters have long legs and the costumes are more detailed, seen in the chain on Sailor Venus's skirt. Sailor Mercury also has a sleeveless top. The art style lies somewhere between the manga and earlier anime.

Mitsuishi Kotono will reprise her role as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, and the rest of the cast is new. Hisako Kanemoto (Ika Musume from Squid Girl) will play Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury, Rina Satou (Mikoto Misaka from A Certain Scientific Railgun) will play Rei Hino/Sailor Mars, Ami Koshimizu (Ryuko Matoi from Kill la Kill) will play Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter, and Shizuka Itou (Rei Hasekura from Maria Watches Over Us) will play Minako Aino/Sailor Venus.

Crystal was one of 100 possible titles for the upcoming Sailor Moon, but Takeuchi liked "Crystal" best. Sailor Moon Crystal will begin airing July 5 at 7 p.m. in Japan, the same timeslot as the first Sailor Moon anime. Crystal will air the first and third Saturday every month.

Source: Anime News Network [http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/characters/moon.php]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Their heads seem a bit too top-heavy in certain of those poses.

I don't know, I've never been a fan of the super frilly, CLAMP-like character designs. But then this show is obviously not aimed at me.
[sub][sub]Sailor Mars is still the best though.[/sub][/sub]

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The Great JT said:
Look good. Like that Makoto still has the rose earrings.
Good eye there, I didn't notice them till you pointed them out. :D

OT: Oh, they do look nice and a lot more like the style they have in the manga, fingers crossed this turns out well.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Takeuchi shouldn't be allowed to name any thing then. Crystal doesn't fit well with the name at all, and it's not a fluent word for repeating. Then again, Crystal will probably go well with the other shithole remakes/adaptions so maybe it will suit just fine.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Yay, I'm excited. I like the new look and can't wait to see more of it.
As always, love Sailor Jupiter. <3

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Holy dated anime look batman. Sure looks like something from 90's lol. Is this going to be all hand drawn or will Inuyasha still remain the last completely hand drawn anime to exist? Just curious.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Nazulu said:
Takeuchi shouldn't be allowed to name any thing then. Crystal doesn't fit well with the name at all, and it's not a fluent word for repeating. Then again, Crystal will probably go well with the other shithole remakes/adaptions so maybe it will suit just fine.
You have to remember, when they consider the title, they are doing it in Japanese, not English.

Which in Japanese is Bish&#333;jo Senshi S&#275;r&#257;m&#363;n Kurisutaru.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Sailor Moon was my first anime, predating even Dragon Ball Z. Heck, I had a Sailor Moon action figure (NOT a doll) when I was a kid. I never put much effort into getting back into the series over the years, but the memories are still there. I might give this a shot. The designs certainly seem solid; I just hope that the localization isn't as terribad as the original was. Especially with the slug names. *shudder*

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
DTWolfwood said:
Holy dated anime look batman. Sure looks like something from 90's lol. Is this going to be all hand drawn or will Inuyasha still remain the last completely hand drawn anime to exist? Just curious.
Inuyasha is not completely hand draw, they switched away from hand draw during season 4.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
The designs look a little dated at this point. I was into sailormoon bigtime as a kid, but that sort of character design is a little weird to look at in this day and age.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Oh geez, my early teens, I see them. Just over there with Kevin Z. fake-flirting with everything and Andrew throwing up in the middle of class, and me staring at Matt really, really obviously and creepily all day long.

We all learned how to play that alien dude's flute song in band class on all our instruments. Everyone.

And during computer time (half hour or so) I would go online, find and download like 5 (all I had time for, I remember sitting there waiting for shit to load) really nice pictures of the scouts and print them to take home.

Oh gawd, then years later and going to a con at the University and poking my head in on the last movie with all those man-girl scout things and seeing my neighbour in a costume. Thankfully not as a scout, but he was a jedi in a bathrobe. It was weird.

... I'll watch it, but probably not until a ways down the line.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
These are pretty cool designs, looking forward to seeing the style in motion. And I'm not sure why, but to me it looks like there's some influence from Western animation in there.

I've always wanted to watch Sailor Moon but I might just wait until this is out, especially if its closer to the manga.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Look like they were faithful to the original designs. Still I have no interest to watch the new anime but I hoped the fans will like the new version.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
iniudan said:
Nazulu said:
You have to remember, when they consider the title, they are doing it in Japanese, not English.

Which in Japanese is Bish&#333;jo Senshi S&#275;r&#257;m&#363;n Kurisutaru.
You're 100% right. Didn't think about that at all. Though sometimes they change the words for other languages, so we'll see.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Nazulu said:
How does crystal not fit? Especially given the titles the other seasons of the first show had. At least crystals have a TON of importance in this series, so it at least fits thematically.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I remember their legs always being long but have they always been twice as long as their torso+head?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
Nazulu said:
How does crystal not fit? Especially given the titles the other seasons of the first show had. At least crystals have a TON of importance in this series, so it at least fits thematically.
I already said why. Say it to yourself, Sailor Moon Crystal. The last word sounds off compared with the others. Including, it's cliche' and ladidadida.

The Japanese original iniudan brought works a lot better, though a bit long.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
rofltehcat said:
I remember their legs always being long but have they always been twice as long as their torso+head?
Nope. That's to emphasize the original bishoujo manga aesthetic. Long spindely legs and arms, Huge doe eyes, and an emphasis on hairstyles.