Stan Lee Has A Guardians Of The Galaxy Cameo After All

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Stan Lee Has A Guardians Of The Galaxy Cameo After All

No doubt you cannot believe this earth-shattering news is true, but rest assured, it is.

Stan Lee has made a cameo in almost every single film ever-based on a Marvel comics franchise. His appearances are so reliable that post-apocalyptic future generations might even create an agricultural calendar around them*. But given the setting and its complete disconnect from any situation in which we could imagine a nonagenarian just kind of happening to be on the scene, it made sense when Lee himself said he would be making no cameo appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. But as it turns out, he was wrong. And like that, our innocence is gone forever.

Over the weekend, Stan the Man made an appearance at C2E2 in Chicago, and when asked about the possibility of a cameo role in the (I HOPE) inevitable science fiction blockbuster, he revealed it's already a done deal.

I did, already. I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you I do not understand what it was or why I did it. It has me with a girl - a very pretty girl - that's all I can tell you."

Well, this certainly puts the reports last month of nebulous Guardians reshoots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132981-Spy-Photos-Reveal-S-H-I-E-L-D-Is-In-Guardians-of-The-Galaxy] in a completely new light. At that time, Director James Gunn said about those reshoots, in part, "Something to make the movie better? Do it. Cool cameo idea? Bring 'em in." I think we now know with 100% certainty what the cameo in question was.

Given his advanced age, not to mention the fact that Star-Lord is essentially the lone human in the film's main story, being as he is an exile from Earth, I'm willing to bet they didn't film Stan Lee in anything that would require hours and hours of prosthetic makeup. And since the reshoots mentioned above were notable, supposedly, for featuring vehicles bearing SHIELD logos, I think it's a reasonable guess that the cameo takes place on Earth, and it might even be the stinger. Anyone care to speculate baselessly about it in comments?

Incidentally, Stan Lee is 91 years old. Love him or hate him, he's not going to be around very much longer. That, truthfully, kind of bums me out.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/stan-lee-says-he-will-cameo-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-1201165337/].

* Though how they'll reconcile said calendar with the religion based on the worship of Lord McDonald, who protects us from Papajon the Destroyer, remains to be seen.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Given how he has made cameos is movies that came out as recently as this month that isn't a surprise.

I do have to agree with you that it is a bummer that he may not be with us much longer due to his age, but given how he seems to have managed his health he seems to be one of those elders who's in a state where they could very much reach 100 and still be in good health, or just not wake up tomorrow night. Let us just cherish the time we have with him now while we can with him and the other old guard that created comic books as we know them who still remain, as they grow fewer in number every year.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's kind of in bad taste to speculate with the man's old age and just how imminent his death is. What does that have to do with the news? Christopher Lee is also 91, I don't see articles ending with "Thank god he already filmed his role as Saruman for the next Hobbit movie, he won't be around much longer either. Bums me out, but it's true".

vid87

May 17, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's kind of in bad taste to speculate with the man's old age and just how imminent his death is. What does that have to do with the news? Christopher Lee is also 91, I don't see articles ending with "Thank god he already filmed his role as Saruman for the next Hobbit movie, he won't be around much longer either. Bums me out, but it's true".
It's not even so much about Stan himself, but the tradition of having him in every film - it's been a reliable and fun easter egg and knowing one day that this will end while the films go on (and on and on) is going to be a constant reminder that he's no longer with us. Almost ironically counter-productive.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Wow, Stan Lee's that old? I had no idea...

I also had no idea that he was apparently originally not going to be in Guardians. That would have seemed weird to me. Glad they decided to change that. Out of all of his cameos, I think The Winter Soldier is my favorite so far.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
vid87 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's not even so much about Stan himself, but the tradition of having him in every film - it's been a reliable and fun easter egg and knowing one day that this will end while the films go on (and on and on) is going to be a constant reminder that he's no longer with us. Almost ironically counter-productive.
Yeah I suppose they'll carry on acknowledging him with a photo or a statue or something along those lines, kind of what Spielberg did for Marcus Brody in Indy 4.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wow, Stan Lee's that old? I had no idea...

I also had no idea that he was apparently originally not going to be in Guardians. That would have seemed weird to me. Glad they decided to change that. Out of all of his cameos, I think The Winter Soldier is my favorite so far.
Supposedly his cameo's are only supposed to cover the characters he created or that were from when he was EiC of Marvel. Guardians was all post Stan... except Groot, whom he did in fact create.

Just to have some fun and speculate, his cameo is probably an earth based scene. Can't see them doing him up for an alien world. since it is a reshoot or additional shoots, maybe some back story to fill in. So it might involve the backstory of either Star Lord or Drax, both or whom come from earth. He mentions a "Pretty Girl"? Drax's daughter? Moondragon? Or maybe a teaser for Mantis? Mantis was an Avenger. A half Vietnamese girl with some psychic abilities, who also turned out to be part alien, She eventually ended up with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Both Mantis and Moondragon have ties together and to the Guardians and Avengers, and Thanos. So either or both would be a likely bridge towards Phase III.

Hmmm? I also still have a sort of sneaking suspicion that Chloe Bennet Wang will eventually turn out to be a known (if obscur) named Marvel character. And Mantis always seems a good fit for her? Maybe?

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
I agree, that is in pretty bad taste.

I'm sure Stan Lee himself will be a bit more than 'bummed out' at the idea of potential imminent death.

OT: As if it ever needed to make sense to have his cameos in the films.. they never really 'worked' and it was obvious why they were there.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Who could hate Stan Lee?? He is a sweet old man with a sense of humour and a legacy of creative stories. I have never really been into comics due to probably a questionable childhood, but i can certainly appreciate a soul who has inspired and given so much to the world.
Perhaps he could do a W.Disney, instead preserve his body with mechanised limbs for endless future cameos. Twould be very interesting.

For those thinking its in bad taste to talk post-death about or with an old person, please remove the dead trunk from betweeneth your bumcheeks and return to reality...most old folk are more than accepting of their own mortality. Most my old relatives are, plus ive worked in a care home and chatted with a few there of life and death. Its usually the other ppl that cant accpect that someone they love may not be around much longer, that get offended and dont want to talk of such things.
Im fairly certain Mr Lee has achieved enough in his lifetime to not feel bitter and regret old age at all

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Jesus, I thought he was around 60, he looks good for a 90 year old! Good to see that he's still getting his easter egg cameos though, I do love them.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Christopher Lee is 91 years old???!!!! Thank god he already filmed his role in the next hobbit movie!

This is an internet forum, people should relax more and not take things too seriously, so what if we worry about stan or lee's imminent death? We all know it's gonna happen, after all valar morghulis.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
If you can point to where I said "I HOPE HE LIVES TO MAKE MORE CAMEOS" then I'll concede your point. I didn't mean any disrespect or bad taste. My point was "appreciate what you have while you have it".

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
erbkaiser said:
Stan Lee is Uatu the Watcher in the Cinematic universe(s).
This is the second time Stan has been compared to the watcher in regards to this movie, now i'm wishing for a Watcher cameo in the end credits, Infinity and Eternity could make an appearance too :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
ExtraDebit said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Christopher Lee is 91 years old???!!!! Thank god he already filmed his role in the next hobbit movie!

This is an internet forum, people should relax more and not take things too seriously, so what if we worry about stan or lee's imminent death? We all know it's gonna happen, after all valar morghulis.
We all know EVERYBODY is going to die (except the Grimace) but you need a good reason for pointing it out like that, usually health related.
RossaLincoln said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
If you can point to where I said "I HOPE HE LIVES TO MAKE MORE CAMEOS" then I'll concede your point. I didn't mean any disrespect or bad taste. My point was "appreciate what you have while you have it".
I know you meant no disrespect, I just thought the memento mori felt rather perfunctory.