The Pull of Dark Souls II

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I laughed. Hard. At the Magna-Sword in particular. Can't say I've played DSII, but my friends that have certainly complain about issues that could only be explained by the enemies having magnetized swords. And I can semi-relate with other games that I've played that have similar combat "issues". Yay!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
In all of the hours I have played Dark Souls 2, I am yet to kill one of those. I haven't even tried. With the exception of games such as GTA where I play like a sociopath, I never attack passive characters in games.

I kind of felt sorry for them, sitting there all weary looking.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
So. Freaking. True. And hilarious, haha! While I like that the enemies can actually follow you rather than stand around while you backstab them, I think they went a bit overboard with it.

Legion said:
In all of the hours I have played Dark Souls 2, I am yet to kill one of those. I haven't even tried. With the exception of games such as GTA where I play like a sociopath, I never attack passive NPC's in games.

Oh, don't worry, he's all Hollowed out and not an NPC. Plus, they drop some unique swords that come with lightning damage.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, obviously, Erin sucks at the game. l2playnoob!

Damn casuals!

...Where's that comic about such jargon?

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
I think it's better in DS2, but that isn't ideal either. They've fixed the symptom (circle strafing being too easy) without touching the root of the problem, which is the fact that the AI can't handle strafing. It's similar to NPC arrows being homing because they couldn't bother making the AI good with bows. Enemies should use special attacks against circle strafers, just like they use a shield bash against shield users.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Hahaha!

Well, I just ran from him and threw knives until he was dead. I'm a noob at that game, but whatever works right :)

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Ha, that's awesome! You've perfectly summed up my only real complaint with the game. I don't mind enemies being harder to backstab, but I would rather they found a smarter solution than enemies spinning 180 instantly and smacking me. Totally breaks the immersion and it's kind of bullshit. The turtle knights jump backwards to try and flatten you, do more stuff like that.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Congratulations, guys. This is the first comic that's made me really lose it with laughter since Calvin & Hobbes. Really funny.

Every iteration of Souls games they try to counter the cheesiest strategies from the last one. In Demon's Souls pretty much every boss could be killed from across the continent if you packed enough arrows and could find that one magic sniper spot. Having solved that (by making virtually every boss jump you the second you touch the fog) they moved on to circle-strafers, PvP lagstabbers, and obsessive grinders. At this point the only decent way to cheese a boss is with jolly co-operation.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
In the next game, the enemies will stand back-to-back holding knives.
Why wait for the next game?

OT: I don't know... there are some enemies that turn quickly, but I still find that lots of them fall prey to circle strafing easily enough. For those that don't, I have a shield.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Branindain said:
Congratulations, guys. This is the first comic that's made me really lose it with laughter since Calvin & Hobbes. Really funny.

Every iteration of Souls games they try to counter the cheesiest strategies from the last one. In Demon's Souls pretty much every boss could be killed from across the continent if you packed enough arrows and could find that one magic sniper spot. Having solved that (by making virtually every boss jump you the second you touch the fog) they moved on to circle-strafers, PvP lagstabbers, and obsessive grinders. At this point the only decent way to cheese a boss is with jolly co-operation.
Coming soon to Dark Souls 3: mid-boss turncoat invasion mode(brought to you by CCP).

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Legion said:
In all of the hours I have played Dark Souls 2, I am yet to kill one of those. I haven't even tried. With the exception of games such as GTA where I play like a sociopath, I never attack passive characters in games.

Yeah, the first Knight I've found immediately reminded me of Solaire[footnote]Praise the Sun![/footnote], so I went to Majula to buy the ring that lets you hear enemy voices. Sadly, that Knight was just as hollow as every other enemy around.

Edit:
Scars Unseen said:
Coming soon to Dark Souls 3: mid-boss turncoat invasion mode(brought to you by CCP).
Which reminds me, I have yet to be invaded at all. 14hrs played and no invasion at all? I mean, I burned a human effigy once, but that was by accident in Things Betwixt, when I was trying to reverse my hollowing for the first time.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
RJ 17 said:
I laughed. Hard. At the Magna-Sword in particular. Can't say I've played DSII, but my friends that have certainly complain about issues that could only be explained by the enemies having magnetized swords. And I can semi-relate with other games that I've played that have similar combat "issues". Yay!
Same here, the tracking on a LOT of the vertical attacks by enemies is near 1:1. Hell I've seen magic orbs do a literal 180 degree turn and go around CORNERS to track you. The enemy tracking in the game(along with some hitboxes being WAY larger than the enemies weapon/attack animation would suggest) make the game feel cheap at times. Overall I'm finding Dark Souls II being hard but cheap so far. It's fun, that's for damn sure but it is definitely cheap at times.

Scars Unseen said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
In the next game, the enemies will stand back-to-back holding knives.
Why wait for the next game?

OT: I don't know... there are some enemies that turn quickly, but I still find that lots of them fall prey to circle strafing easily enough. For those that don't, I have a shield.
Oh God I forgot about that guy, HOO!

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Church185 said:
Ha, that's awesome! You've perfectly summed up my only real complaint with the game. I don't mind enemies being harder to backstab, but I would rather they found a smarter solution than enemies spinning 180 instantly and smacking me. Totally breaks the immersion and it's kind of bullshit. The turtle knights jump backwards to try and flatten you, do more stuff like that.
The Old Ironguards also have a very high degree of tracking in their vertical attacks so your best real bet is ducking in after they pull off their Left Swing or Vertical Chop. Watch out for the Right Swing, it's a four hit horizontal combo usually.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Odd, I didn't have any trouble with that guy. Then again, I never played Dark Souls 1, so I'm guessing the way I play is different from someone who would have had tons of hours in Dark Souls 1. That said, yea the enemies can spin around pretty fast.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Legion said:

Yeah, that's a good old trademark Dark Souls "You're a dick" moment. At least in the previous games you could rationalize that the tragic figures you had to kill attacked you first, though YMMV on how effective that was. This guy? He was just minding his own business when I killed him. Really I couldn't even get that worked up when he killed me a lot the first few times, I just thought "well...I did kinda have it coming."

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
I admit I never understood why people complain about enemy tracking in Dark Souls 2, as turning 180° around quickly, for example, is just a matter of switching your leading foot to the other leg, by shifting your heels position, rest of the body will follow, which include swing already in motion.

Shifting your foot is like one of the most basic part of martial art training, unless your in a discipline that focus on grappling, in which case the most basic training is learning to fall.