Patrick Stewart to Star in Seth MacFarlane Comedy Blunt Talk

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Patrick Stewart to Star in Seth MacFarlane Comedy Blunt Talk

Starz has ordered two seasons of the live action comedy series from Seth MacFarlane and Bored to Death creator Jonathan Ames.

described as [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101075-Patrick-Stewart-Receives-Knighthood] "a British import intent on conquering the world of American cable news." Blunt, played by Stewart, is a well-meaning but misguided host of a nightly interview show, beleaguered by his news staff, his dysfunctional family, and supported by an alcoholic manservant he brought along from Britain. Confident in the series, Starz has ordered two seasons of Blunt Talk, bypassing a pilot.

Chris Albrecht, Starz CEO, says, "In the character of Walter Blunt, Seth, Jonathan and Patrick have found the alchemy that makes a borderline alcoholic, mad-genius-Brit the man you want fighting in America's corner. Seth and Jonathan have struck the right balance between biting wit and outright absurdity in building this world, and we cannot wait for Patrick to breathe life into Walter." MacFarlane and Stewart have worked together before. Stewart was the voice of the narrator in MacFarlane's 2012 comedy Ted, and has voiced characters on MacFarlane's animated series Family Guy and American Dad. "My career took an abrupt and radical left turn when Seth McFarlane created CIA Deputy Director Avery Bullock on American Dad," says Stewart. "This new character, Walter Blunt, is not at all like Avery, thank God, because this is live action and I am a Knight of the Realm. Blunt is, however, much smarter than Avery and has his own TV show, which has to be better than being Deputy Director of the CIA."

Stewart may be best known for his roles on Star Trek and as New York frolics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120833-Ian-McKellan-and-Patrick-Stewart-Return-to-X-Men] with Sir Ian McKellan), but he also has great skill with comedy. His scenes in the British sitcom Extras left me giddy for days. I'm not usually a fan of MacFarlane comedies, but this could be the one that changes my opinion.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/starz-two-season-order-live-action-comedyt/]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, I personally don't care for Seth McFarlane at all, but I would watch the hell out of that.

Sir Patrick Steward is just awesome, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in another live-action comedy. The man had me crying when he was on SNL back in the day as a guest host.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I really like Steh McFarlane's stuff (please, people, put away those pitchforks and torches), and Patrick Stewart is obviously awesome. I'll watch the hell out of this.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ok, I personally don't for Seth McFarlane at all, but I would watch the hell out of that.

Sir Patrick Steward is just awesome, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in another live-action comedy. The man had me crying when he was on SNL back in the day as a guest host.
Now, I need to see that one.

OT: You know, we should get all the knighted men of entertainment together in a room and do a show. That would be funny as hell.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Glad that the demand for one of the greatest actors of this time is still out there.

However what I still really want is one last adventure for the Enterprise E and her crew. I'll just keep on hoping.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
YES TO EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS!

Normally I'd be skeptical of a network that would order up 2 seasons of an non-piloted show, but in this case, they had me at 'Patrick Stewart is...'

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
I like Patrick Stewart and it seems he can be really weird so I'll give this a chance

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I figured that this kind of collaboration was possible. Seth and Patrick must have been on good terms, since the former has been voicing a regular character in the latter's show for almost a decade now.

They're a pretty good mix, since Stewart has shown in the past that he's willing to veto some of MacFarlane's more tasteless jokes, and MacFarlane's absurd writing style goes well with Stewart's delivery.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Seth and Patrick, well I'm totally all set for watching this since I love both (well Patrick a bit more since I've watched him longer)

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
He sure does work a lot with Mcfarlene doesn't he? Not a particularly fervant fan of Mcfarlene comedies as of late, but this sounds like it might be worth a shot.