Godzilla Trailer Forecasts Monster vs. Monster Melee

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Godzilla Trailer Forecasts Monster vs. Monster Melee

Godzilla isn't the only giant mutant monster you'll see in the upcoming movie - he'll be picking on somebody his own size.

Monster movies are great and all, but "giant monster fights the military" can only get re-used so many times before it gets dull. Yet when the first trailers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132482-Godzilla-Full-Trailer-Is-Finally-Revealed] emerged for the 2014 Godzilla reboot, it looked like we were in for a fairly straightforward, uphill battle between the King of Monsters and our puny tanks and planes. From the looks of the latest trailer, though, it seems we spoke too soon: Godzilla may actually be the good guy here, acting as a last-resort weapon against an even more dangerous group of monsters: the Muto.

The Muto are a race of kaiju that seem to be the result of government-conducted genetic engineering tests. Obviously, since this is a monster flick, something goes horribly wrong and it looks like the Muto escape, and there's nothing mankind can do except call on the biggest monster we know and hope it wins. The first trailer included a whispered line: "Can we kill it?" Turns out they weren't talking about Godzilla, according to the added context from this trailer, in which somebody replies, "I believe something can."

I don't know about you guys, but this 90-second trailer has put Godzilla back on my radar. One of the Muto is a flying insectoid-ish creature, so I guess we can go ahead and cross "reboot Mothra" off the checklist. Another shot provides a glimpse of a Muto walking on massive, spindly, Cloverfield-esque legs, so this monster slugfest will probably be fought across land, sea, and air.

And now we can root for a giant monster instead of boring old humans. Go go Godzilla!

Source: MTV [http://www.mtv.com/news/1817248/godzilla-trailer-monsters/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its looking really good, and its weird that they went the way they did, at first I was expecting something close to Transformers (where the humans are the real stars and are what matters most for the story) or something like that other Godzilla movie but so far it seems to try to do some cool stuff from the humans perspective (even if its all tacticool as fuck, I guess it makes the world more believable) while keeping the part where its all about the monsters.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
josemlopes said:
Its looking really good, and its weird that they went the way they did, at first I was expecting something close to Transformers (where the humans are the real stars and are what matters most for the story) or something like that other Godzilla movie but so far it seems to try to do some cool stuff from the humans perspective (even if its all tacticool as fuck, I guess it makes the world more believable) while keeping the part where its all about the monsters.
I remember seeing the first trailer and feeling the same way, fearing that it would be just Godzilla versus us lowly human ants, but I hoped that they were just hiding the other monster. That they were trying to mislead everyone and then pull a "Surprise! We fooled you!" move.
So, so, so glad that they chose to do that. I can't wait to see this movie now.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Please, please, please, please, please don't suck.

If Godzilla can knock it out of the park financially, then that coupled with the success of Pacific Rim might finally see the revival of the Monster genre. Please do not suck.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Yeah adding a second monster makes this film a great deal more interesting. I wonder if Andy Serkis did the motion-capture for Muto as well? So he has to fight himself? Boy that would be weird.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I wonder how many CGI animators/artists died making this movie. Goddamn, that's an awful lot of pretty stuff getting destroyed.

Brian Tams said:

If Godzilla can knock it out of the park financially, then that coupled with the success of Pacific Rim might finally see the revival of the Monster genre. Please do not suck.
Bryan Cranston can usually act fairly well, and Andy Serkis consulting on the mo cap are pretty good positives. I have faith; Pacific Rim sold well on the basis that it was simply giant robots fighting giant monsters, and Godzilla is simply giant monsters fighting giant monsters.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I was kind of interested in this movie... then I saw this and I can't wait for it!

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Yet when the first trailers emerged for the 2014 Godzilla reboot, it looked like we were in for a fairly straightforward, uphill battle between the King of Monsters and our puny tanks and planes. From the looks of the latest trailer, though, it seems we spoke too soon: Godzilla may actually be the good guy
Huh, I was certain that the fact there were other monsters in the film was common knowledge by this point. In fact we've had discussions and threads about it.

Still making a news post to officially verify it should draw the attention of people who might have missed that.

OT: This is looking to be a great time at the Cinema. I can't say I agree that they're going with Godzilla is the good guy seeing as they're following close to the roots of the first one.

Enemy of my enemy is my friend who's also considered a natural disaster is more like it, if the scientist had to describe their relationship with ol Zilla at the water cooler lol.

Captcha: Run Amok That's uncannily accurate. :O

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
josemlopes said:
I remember seeing the first trailer and feeling the same way, fearing that it would be just Godzilla versus us lowly human ants, but I hoped that they were just hiding the other monster. That they were trying to mislead everyone and then pull a "Surprise! We fooled you!" move.
I remember freeze framing through the first trailer, or maybe the second because I saw that claw hit the ground we got a very very brief glimpse of the flying monster. The only thing I could say to my friends was. "I don't know what's going to happen but there is something else besides Godzilla in this." Just that thought has made me antsy for months.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
rasputin0009 said:
I wonder how many CGI animators/artists died making this movie. Goddamn, that's an awful lot of pretty stuff getting destroyed.

Brian Tams said:

Bryan Cranston can usually act fairly well, and Andy Serkis consulting on the mo cap are pretty good positives. I have faith; Pacific Rim sold well on the basis that it was simply giant robots fighting giant monsters, and Godzilla is simply giant monsters fighting giant monsters.
Wait Andy Serkis is commenting on this and there's mocap? Are they using mocap for Godzilla? If that's the case it actually seems like the next logical step for him. I'm hoping as well that with this and Pacific Rim we'll see a revival of Kaiju movies. J. J. tested the waters with Cloverfield which might've gotten these two thinking. If anything this might finally get that live action Evangelion movie they've been trying to make off the ground. While yes that does sound like a bad idea considering animation to film translations lately but I just want to see an Eva on the big screen in live action fighting angel.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
josemlopes said:
Yeah same. While I was happy to see Godzilla getting another movie, I was feeling overall meh at the concept of a monster vs people flick. However, this trailer got me excited and giddy. I'd love to see a monster brawl, especially one starring Godzilla. The design for the other monster(s) looks pretty interesting and I'd like to see what they came up with.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Monster vs monster? Ohh, i had a feeling this would happen.

Although, my moneys still on this monster winning:

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
Oh god. The unfckupable Godzilla, that got fcked by too many weird arse fck humancentric stories (yes japan, looking at you. I did not come to see your androgynous pretty-butterrible actors, but to se giant monsters duke it out...) might actually get a decent movie since.. like almost 20 years now.

I so hope they did not fck this up.

captcha:
"i saw that"
I wish.... captcha... i wish....

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
This is... like... common knowledge. And has been for a long time. Does no-one who reports for The Escapist go to cons?

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I could be being overly pessimistic but for all the trailers they're releasing for this thing i'm seeing 3 kaiju including zilla. and the other 2 are only in it for a fraction of a second, they are showing us a lot but almost nothing of the other monsters, i'm starting to worry there is going to be ALOT of set up and only a little bit of kaiju brawling. I mean the kaiju fights are a BIG plot point or so I gathered but from the trailers you'd never know they were anything but background characters for Bryan Cranston to yell at. not saying it'll suck just saying i'm starting to get nervous here.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
This is... like... common knowledge. And has been for a long time. Does no-one who reports for The Escapist go to cons?
Yep, pretty much this. Also from what i hear, Godzilla is bigger than the monsters he is fighting so he isnt even picking on monsters his own size either. lol.

Atleast if this movie does well Toho might let them use some of their other well known monsters. Would love to see Ghidorah or Orga in the next one. Even some of the dumber looking creatures could look really good with a tweak to their design.