Watch Dogs Season Pass Includes Story Campaign, Cyborg Conspiracy

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Watch Dogs Season Pass Includes Story Campaign, Cyborg Conspiracy

Watch Dogs has a healthy set of DLC planned, and the season pass will take you to some surprising places.

Watch Dogs, like just about any AAA release these days, is slated to receive a set of post-launch DLC to top off the experience. What kind of DLC, you ask? All kinds, if the content in the newly detailed Season Pass is anything to go by. The pass nets you new missions, outfits, weapons, the works - and some of it goes in some very unexpected directions. Unless you expected Watch Dogs to have a Blade Runner-esque cyborg conspiracy.

The biggest collection of content is an additional single-player campaign in which you play as T-Bone, rogue hacker and friend to the main game's protagonist Aiden Pearce. Where Pearce is stealthy and subtle, however, T-Bone... isn't. "I blow shit up!" he declares in his introduction. "Because I ain't no hippie!" That campaign is gonna be fun.

[gallery=2415]

Speaking of the game not taking itself so seriously, the season pass also includes a new Digital Trip. These Trips are strictly non-canon experiences triggered by hallucinogenic electrodrugs (best not to ask), and ditch the bleakness of the main storyline in favor of Blood Dragon-style over the top shenanigans. Season pass holders will gain access to Conspiracy!, a trip that opens Aiden's eyes to the terrible truth that Chicago is full of cyborgs masquerading as humans, and they all want to kill him.

Buying the season pass will let you download each piece of DLC one week before they launch for everybody else, and for a cheaper price than buying them one by one. It'll cost you $20, and is available for the PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 - but apparently not the Wii U version, which will be launching late and may not get any DLC.

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-season-pass-details/]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
That DLC sounds like its tryin to ape Saints Row, but only goin halfway. I foresee it bein meh.

Oh also, rabble rabble story dlc rabble rabble season pass, rabble rabble.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so, basically the cyborgs thing is their zombie mode, but with different skins

alright i guess

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
oh how generous of the devs to let us know with what kind of bullshit they are going to nickel and dime us in advance

i wish devs waited a bit after the game got released before they start thinking about DLC let alone start making it, but well thats the way of things now, atleast until this whole scheme starts backfiring

ubisoft, why must you always hurt me the most, EA and Activision, yes i expect that kind of shit from them, they indulge in their own bottomless pit of greed, you however always seem to take 1 step foward and 2 steps back, you take risks with smaller games like child of light, trials and rayman, your bullshit DRM platform uPlay actually has some potentially interesting features, but you cant abandon your old AAA ways can you? you are a bad dev, but i stay with you because i believe i can change you!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I could get behind "Season Passes" if they were a little more concrete in what they promised. It seems like many of the ones I've seen give you this content, but not that content, and if the game has long enough legs they may just create content that is "outside" the "season" the buyer purchased. Or, as in the case of Saints Row 3, revise their plans and release the whole thing as a sequel.

(Not to harp on SR in particular; I've quite enjoyed their games. But they have occasionally been, shall we say, less than entirely transparent about their DLC.)

In some ways, games that try to tack on "episodic" content to full-priced games seem almost as as shady as ones that try to tack "free-to-play"-style features on games that demand full price for admission. I understand that costs keep going up, and people balk at increasing the box price on their games, but I find myself wishing they'd just level with us. As things stand, they're training a tiny percentage of us to pre-order and invest in the bonus perks and far more of us to just wait for the GOTY edition or the Steam sale.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
In other words "Our shit ain't done!", well I guess this is a good time to wait for the complete version.
Hopefully the next news segment divulges when they plan to release that edition and that they aren't taking the Gearbox definition of "complete".

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Okay, not only to they make a movie deal, they already announce several, SEVERAL DLCs and make a trailer for a Season Pass...
BEFORE the game is released?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
They figured that since people stop being impressed with a game as soon as it's released, the tactic they should go with is to ride it into the ground beforehand so that they can get all the sales now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wait, i must be missing something here. The first screenshot looks very closely to Total Overdose, a PS2 game i played in 2005. are they trying to emulate that or is it jut awfully rendered?

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
Sooooo... this game will, like a lot of other, got a whole "IKEA mod" (you have to buy each part) or "Pokemon mod" (collect them all).
Ok, i'll pass and wait for the goty edition.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This just further cements me just flat out not buying the game, the hype I had for this died at least last year, this year isn't making it any more enticing for me to want to buy it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
While I don't necessarily like season passes I do like that this one will allow people to download the DLC content a week before everyone else does.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Another season pass. Great. This is why I'm no longer buying Ubisoft games on launch. Fuck them. They'll release the full version next year.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Wow, why is everyone so pessimistic? The DLC is about a new character and an extra side campaign for Aiden, which looks great by the way, games need to have these fun little silly campaigns.

Arguing your missing out on the complete game because you don't have these DLC is stupid, that's like saying Revengence wasn't a complete game without the Sam and Blade Wolf mode or saying Red Dead Redemption wasn't a complete game without the Zombie DLC campain. Both of those games were still complete experiences, those DLC campaigns were just nice extras.

Also giving people whom buy Season Pass early access to the DLC isn't a bad idea its adding more value to the season pass giving people a reason to buy them rather than just waiting for the DLC to come out.

Although having to pay for additional costumes sucks, I doubt there going to be any alternate costumes for Aiden in the base game.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Honestly, the more I see of Watch Dogs the more I want it to fall flat on its face. Multiple sequels planned before the damn thing comes out, uninteresting gameplay, bullshit teasers, and now DLC already prepared and being marketed. I feel that the gaming industry will get a HUGE wake-up call if this thing just fails.
Ronald Nand said:
Wow, why is everyone so pessimistic? The DLC is about a new character and an extra side campaign for Aiden, which looks great by the way, games need to have these fun little silly campaigns.

Arguing your missing out on the complete game because you don't have these DLC is stupid, that's like saying Revengence wasn't a complete game without the Sam and Blade Wolf mode or saying Red Dead Redemption wasn't a complete game without the Zombie DLC campain. Both of those games were still complete experiences, those DLC campaigns were just nice extras.

Also giving people whom buy Season Pass early access to the DLC isn't a bad idea its adding more value to the season pass giving people a reason to buy them rather than just waiting for the DLC to come out.

Although having to pay for additional costumes sucks, I doubt there going to be any alternate costumes for Aiden in the base game.
This is all before the game is released. It is likely that this all is content cut from the game itself. All of this should be in the game, not being nickeled and dimmed out of the consumer.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Wait, hold up a minute. You mean to tell me you've made additional content during the development process of the game, but instead of including it with the game, you'll be charging me extra for it?

On the plus side I don't HAVE to buy the game, but how can this be a good practice for gaming in general? Charging full price for a game which will be sold in pieces.

What also gets to me is that they're splitting their resources to create multiple smaller products instead of ploughing everything into the game. Broadly speaking, the more time and effort you devote to making a product, the greater the chances are it will be well received and be successful. People appreciate hard work and creativity in games. If you're splitting your staff up to focus on multiple pieces of content, aren't you limiting the potential of the main product?

Would it kill them to make DLC AFTER they've made the game? That way they would have focused everything on the game itself before creating additional content.

Or, you know, they could just put everything onto one disc and let gamers enjoy a full experience for a full price. I don't see many other mediums working like this. Imaging paying for chapter of a book, or paying midway through a film to see the rest. DLCs aren't even sequels. They're like having the option to have your favourite hero and villain dressed differently or giving the protagonist an extra sub plot. But in order to see said outfits and sub plots, you have to pay more than the rest of the audience - like an ongoing director's cut.

Does announcing DLC ahead of the game's release even make sense?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Maybe, since it'll be out later, the Wii U version will continue on the tradition of having a bit of DLC on-disc and getting absolutely no further support once that version of the game launches. I don't want that to happen (though if I'm being completely honest I'm not going to buy the season pass) but it will more than likely happen.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I used to want this game so much, but everything I see about it just makes me less and less interested. This is a brilliant looking game being ruined by SimCity-era EA business decisions.