Game of Thrones: Power Shift

Jan 12, 2012
Don't worry, Erin; odds are the show will catch up to the books and surpass them long before GRRM finishes the next tome. You'll have your day in the spoiler sun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I almost feel sorry for Erin.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Don't worry, Erin; odds are the show will catch up to the books and surpass them long before GRRM finishes the next tome. You'll have your day in the spoiler sun.
And it will be glorious! Glorious! Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Well won,t help if the book reader also watch the show, like i do...

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Er... no he doesn't. He comes close to it though. But he's still kicking.

The biggest problem with Book 5 is that it leaves A LOT open to the wind.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Not today though :p

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Tyrion is well enough alive, though he does get shit on quite a bit along the way. What IS annoying is that Martin developed a nasty habit of "killing" key characters - basically, they are about to die, then the chapter ends and it's the last chapter about that particular character. And it's infuriating! People who have read the books know what I'm talking about, like a certain hanging that happened at the end of Book 4, and there's been no word about that person since then. And this is one of the things show watchers will never have to deal with, at least to this extent, as the show creators seem quite willing to reshuffle events a bit so none of the characters are out of it for too long...

DocZombie

Jul 28, 2011
Jandau said:
... a certain hanging that happened at the end of Book 4, and there's been no word about that person since then.
Um, I'm pretty sure that person...

shows up in the Riverlands in Book 5 and THEN disappears with ANOTHER major point-of-view character in tow and NEITHER is heard of again by the end of the book

Damn, it's hard not to let stuff slip out (>coughcough<)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Jandau said:
Tyrion is well enough alive, though he does get shit on quite a bit along the way. What IS annoying is that Martin developed a nasty habit of "killing" key characters - basically, they are about to die, then the chapter ends and it's the last chapter about that particular character. And it's infuriating! People who have read the books know what I'm talking about, like a certain hanging that happened at the end of Book 4, and there's been no word about that person since then. And this is one of the things show watchers will never have to deal with, at least to this extent, as the show creators seem quite willing to reshuffle events a bit so none of the characters are out of it for too long...
Yeah, totally. One cliff hanger per book simply isn't enough for Martin.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
J Tyran said:
Jandau said:
Yeah, totally. One cliff hanger per book simply isn't enough for Martin.
One cliffhanger per chapter isn't enough for him!

OT, hahahahahaha, it's such great fun being a bookreader (Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter all ruined thanks to my ability to read. muhahahahahahaha!)

Captcha: Move Mountains... why yes, yes I can.... then spoil it for everyone else by telling them that the mountain dies!

talker

Nov 18, 2011
You bastards! You vicious heartless bastards! Look what you've done to her! She's worked her fingers to the bone to enjoy Moll's suffering, and you come in with your petty feeble quibbling and you grind her into the dirt, this fine, honorable woman, whose boots you are not worthy to kiss. Oh, it makes me mad. Mad!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
TheDoctor455 said:

OT: This rings far too true. Having to hold back spoilers in a lot of discussions is more difficult than you'd think. Especially when it'd be really funny.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TheDoctor455 said:

Ok, thanks for that - I have been dreading the day he dies in GoT as he is clearly too likable to be allowed to survive. After red wedding, I've been edgy about GoT as it seems that its heading towards Darkness Induced Audience Apathy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy] territory

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Best Critical Miss in a while though. Reminds me of conversations I've had with the TV watchers.

"Oh, you mean to say they haven't revealed that Melisandre is Jon Snow's mother yet? Whoooops!"

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Could anyone explain this strip to me?

I get that the TV series is different from the books, but... What's this "Night's king" business?

Mar 30, 2010
Brilliant.

I must say I've been using my knowledge of the books for evil my own purposes for a while know. Being able to name who dies when, where and how has granted a certain power over those of my friends who have only seen the tv series. *sigh* Guess I'll have to start buying my own rounds at the local again.

Apr 28, 2008
Well unless the show pulls a Fullmetal Alchemist and does its own thing separate from the books.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Queen Michael said:

I get that the TV series is different from the books, but... What's this "Night's king" business?
just to be safe...

Taken from the wiki..

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch during its earliest years, not long after the Long Night ended and the Wall was completed. He is considered a legendary, half-mythical figure, not far removed from Bran the Builder. If he really did exist, it was almost eight thousand years ago - consider that while the Night's King was the thirteenth Lord Commander, at the time of the War of the Five Kings, Jeor Mormont is the 997th Lord Commander.

However, the Night's King fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars"; he loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave her his soul as well. He brought her to the Nightfort and bound the brothers of the Night's Watch to his will through sorcery. He declared himself "Night's King" and ruled over the Wall and the Gift as his own. The King in the North and Joramun, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, joined forces to defeat him.

After he was killed, it was discovered that he had been making human sacrifices to the Others - the White Walkers - and all records of him were destroyed, and uttering his name was forbidden, so it became lost to history. Nevertheless, it is believed he may have been a Bolton, a Magnar of Skagos, an Umber, a Flint, a Norrey, or a Woodfoot, though Old Nan claims to know a version of the tale where he was actually a Stark, brother to the King-in-the-North, named Bran.

After the defeat of the Night's King, the rule was enforced that the castles of the Night's Watch along the Wall should never be fortified against approach from the south, so that they cannot oppose the lands south of the Wall which they are meant to defend. The downfall of the Night's King also resulted in the strict enforcement of the rule that the Night's Watch is meant to be politically neutral, as guardians who do not "rule" the Wall but who serve the realms of men.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
TheDoctor455 said:

Even so, since Erin hasn't read the books, xD she doesn't know that...

OT: Loved the facial expressions this episode. It seems spoilers with the show is a bit like the politics within it.

People going around thinking they know it all and have all the power. Only to be shown how wrong they are. ;p

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Queen Michael said:

Ishal already mentioned the mythical status of the Night's King. The reason seeing the Night?s King in this episode is a huge deal is because the show has officially outpaced the books. We never knew that the Night?s King was leading The Others. We didn?t know they had a keep or that they transformed humans into their kind.